Author Topic: Who's going to participate in NANO this year?  (Read 8565 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Who's going to participate in NANO this year?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 04:14:30 PM »
Seriously...I stick to a 2000 word per day quota. On the best of these days, it's 2k (or more) of directed, fairly polished narrative. On the worst it's blathering nonsense. Mostly it's part warm up, part salvagable prose, and part meandering.

If a writer is serious, this is the way to go.

It's a way to go.

Iain Banks, to take an example of a published author who must have more than twenty novels out by now, some of them really excellent, has said quite a bit about his process in public, which seems to involve ten months or so of messing about and two months of writing in a panic, which has pretty reliably got him out a novel a year or so for the past twenty-odd years.  I'm aware of several other published authors with good careers writing good books who work in spurts.  On the other hand, there are people like Terry Pratchett, whom I have seen enough times in conventions disappear into quiet corners to write for five and ten minutes at a time that I can believe he's not writing to a quota so much as needing to fill every available quiet moment with writing; it must be very nice to be able to afford to do that.

There are some published authors who are very much behind writing every day; Stephen King and Harlan Ellison, IIRC, have been quite vehement about it in print.  And if that works for you fine.  So far as I am concerned, what matters is having some way of being sure that words are ending up in the page, and not making excuses for not writing when you can; my own pattern, of usually two to five thousand words every Friday night - sometimes moved to another night if for example it's my stepson's birthday on a Friday, and with occasional spurts of more if the inspiration takes me - seems to work fine in terms of getting a new chapter every week or two and a new completed novel every year or so.  Being vehement about having to write every day can be a bit discouraging to those of us who have combinations of jobs and family lives that just do not permit that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 04:16:21 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »
Okay, it's on like donkey kong, as the saying goes.

I'm going to go with one of the books from my fantasy trilogy that has been stewing in my mind since I was 12.  So, I guess I'll decend into chaos with the rest of you guys next month.  I'm excited.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 03:47:19 AM »
My plan is a spy thriller with a renegade Macross Plus-esque AI, master races, guns which create diseases and a hero who I should probably make a little less similar to Shadow from American Gods.

Oh yeah, I feel excited. First I have to finish the novel I'm working on this month...
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline caynreth

• Posty McPostington
  • sing, dance, start a revolution!
    • View Profile
    • my personal Pampered Chef website
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »
I'm in for another year. No clue what sort of project this time round...we'll see what comes out of my head come Nov. 1st.
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/tiffanyragland

Offline BlueStocking

• Posty McPostington
  • Caution: May cause loud.
    • View Profile
    • I twitter :D
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 05:28:36 AM »
I'm doing it for the first time this year.  I'm kinda doing a practice run right now as I have a story I plan to finish by Halloween.  It may not be good enough to submit to anything, but it'll be finished by golly.

I dunno what I'm going to do yet...maybe something with a vampire as the main character?  Or something post-apocolyptic (been watching Dark Angel re-runs on Sci-Fi *shame*)?  Simply because, of all the half-written cramp on my laptop, those are the only things I haven't done XD  Well, aside from regular fiction.

Or maybe I'll re-write that horror story I was writing about the river mermaid...I kinda lost the file, so I'd have to start from scratch anyway XD

EDIT: I know what I'm doing now.  Vampiric mermaids that are somehow involved with nanobots.  I'd say how, but that'll give away part of the story :D  Oh...this is gonna be fun.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:32:04 PM by BlueStocking »
"So, you're saying that if we don't do something, everything will go wonkytaters?"
"Umm...is wonkytaters a bad thing?"
"Yes."
"Then yes.  Everything will go wonkytaters."

Offline Troubled darkness

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 01:38:13 PM »
i'll be doing this again this year. It'll be my second year and it was so much fun last year. I wrote a novel that I'd had in my heard for years and found that having a goal of completing 50,000 words in a month was such a good motivator. This year I'm working on a novel for the SHOMI competition. I've decided that starting September I will try all competitions that I come across that fit in with my writing. If just for practice more than anything else.  ;D

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »
Crap, I'm panicking!  Any advice for an aprehensive noob?
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.

Offline caynreth

• Posty McPostington
  • sing, dance, start a revolution!
    • View Profile
    • my personal Pampered Chef website
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 06:12:57 PM »
Just open up your mind and write whatever wants to flow out.
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/tiffanyragland

Offline Troubled darkness

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 07:38:42 PM »
You just don't think about editing and don't worry. I found it easier to have a set amount of words that i needed to get done every day and then if i missed that word count i added it to the next one and so on I know one weekend I had a whole weeks worth to catch up on  :o but if you know throughout the month how much you should be on every day then it makes it a lot simpler to catch up. NaNo is such a brilliant moivater for writing. I found that the words came easily when I just let it flow and didn't worry about it. Outlining slightly is a good idea as well. It doesn't have to be loads but a few ideas on where the storyline is going to go is usually a good idea.
 ;D
that help at all  ???

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »
Well, I may not be in Nano after all.  Not unless I come up with another idea.  I was going to write the first in my fantasy series I've been wanting to write since i was 12, but it's so huge that I need to outline first.  And I'm trying to finish my WIP, too.  Too much on my plate.

I might try something more non-traditional.  I'm reading "Story Structure Architect" right now, and there is a section on anti-structure story that is different than the Westernized, 3-act style.  Still takes planning, but maybe that's the change of venue I need to unclog my brain.

Offline Sil76

• Participant
  • Self-Confessed Book Devourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 05:33:33 AM »
Third year trying to finish the NanoMonster  ;D ;D 

I look on Nano as a personal challenge that one shares with other people!  The caffeinated write-ins can be so very fun, and very productive.
As far as advice for the novice NanoWriMer:  literally turn off your mental editor, open your brain and let whatever comes out just flow:)  And don't stress overmuch on the 50K mark, or the Nov 30 deadline -- after all, you can continue after that date if you're on a roll, or stop a lot sooner if the month starts to get too full. ;)

In any case, have fun:))
Darned tired.  Darn me unto heck.

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 04:33:01 PM »
Im gonna try it.  I do have a good idea for a novel, but with my family business, school making me depressed, and my brother putting me down.  I could never do it.  I think this will make me create that story that I yearned to write.  Just one question, is this best for a newbie to be part of?

Another question,  If i get to the 50k mark, will I have time to get it edited, and if so, where will be the best place to have it edited and critiqued?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:36:25 PM by Cooper »
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline BlueStocking

• Posty McPostington
  • Caution: May cause loud.
    • View Profile
    • I twitter :D
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 04:54:54 PM »
Another question,  If i get to the 50k mark, will I have time to get it edited, and if so, where will be the best place to have it edited and critiqued?

Umm...you'll have plenty of time to get it edited....you can do that whenever you want to o_O
"So, you're saying that if we don't do something, everything will go wonkytaters?"
"Umm...is wonkytaters a bad thing?"
"Yes."
"Then yes.  Everything will go wonkytaters."

Offline Rook

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 02:13:34 AM »
I've decided to join the insanity for the first time. Meep!  :-\

My main reason is to force myself to write in rough draft format. I tend to over-edit myself when I write, which leaves me with the perfect first chapter of a story that completely stalls out. I'm hoping that the time limit will help me embrace imperfection on the first go.

I must become one with the rough draft...*meditating*

See the rough draft...

Be the rough draft...

;D

Offline Blitz

• Conversationalist
  • Shadows aren't scary- it's what comes out of them.
    • View Profile
    • CRash Landing
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 02:35:50 AM »
I've done NaNo twice already, though I've never won (high school is kind of a timesuck).  I'm definitely going to do it again this year--it's a great opportunity to connect with others who share the same hobby/goals I do, and I always get something done in the month, even if nobody ever sees it but me.  *crosses fingers* Maybe this will be the year I get the 50K...  I'm sure my AP teachers can give me no homework for four weeks...
<----- Blog