Author Topic: Black Court & True Faith  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Neepling

• Participant
    • View Profile
Black Court & True Faith
« on: March 24, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
Hi all.
Newbie GM here.
I have an odd (maybe) question about fine thralls.
If a Black Court had made a fine thrall of an NPC with True Faith, in so much as they weren't aware they were under mind control - would it be reasonable to assume the NPC could still use their true faith powers; i.e. the perfect Black Court sleeper spy - who would suspect?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Black Court & True Faith
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
Well, in one of my games I had the red court infiltrate an entire church, so I guess anything is possible. If there's a good reason the character would be enthralled without his faith interfering with the enthrallment, that's perfectly legit.

I would think that maybe you'd need something more than just a powerful black court vampire to enthrall, or a true believer's faith would shield him from that. But how about a personal vector that would allow the black court to sort of circumvent that? Turn a family member and train him to enthrall the true believer. The personal connection and the blood relation should be enough to bypass any protection the faith may present, and you've got yourself not only a fine thrall, but also a cool story around that.

When it comes to using the faith powers, you could have it hint at his enthrallment, but not break it. Maybe he gets a headache when doing too much with them, leading him to believe he's got the flu or something.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:13 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to me. People with True Faith tend to have high Conviction, but apart from that they're not particularly resistant to mind control.

And while you need true faith to have True Faith Powers, I don't think getting the occasional unnatural compulsion means you can't truly believe in something. So as long as the control was subtle-ish, I don't think it would interfere with the Powers.

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 04:50:44 AM »
Of course, if the Thrall with True Faith has got Guide My Hand, the Spiritual Guidance trapping of the power could lead him to someone who could recognize his predicament and help him without him even being aware of why he went there, or bring such a person to him.

Which is a great way to get PC's involved.  :)
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:58:23 AM »
I don't think BCV can make fine thralls with Domination, so it would have to be a spellcaster.

Being a fine thrall wouldn't make your powers go away, but it wouldn't be very useful to the controller, since the powers (except Bless This House) have caveats about acting according to your calling/if your goals are pure.