Author Topic: About the Paranet Papers  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
About the Paranet Papers
« on: March 09, 2015, 03:13:34 PM »
Are we allowed to discuss the full book yet.  There are some exciting changes and additions.  I love how it's clear this board had a lot of influence over the thaumaturgy thoughts and the like as well.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: About the Paranet Papers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »
Can you tell us in general terms what it adds to the rules/lore?  Who do you think should be buying it?

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:05:18 PM »
Are we allowed to discuss the full book yet.

Pretty sure we are. I mean, why wouldn't we be?

Can you tell us in general terms what it adds to the rules/lore?  Who do you think should be buying it?

It adds several new setting chunks/cities, an update to the timeline, and some new rules which seem mostly to have to do with spellcasting.

I'm not done reading, but I'd say anyone who's really into Dresdenverse lore or the RPG should buy it if possible. Casual fans of either can take or leave it.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »
It adds mental defense powers(they require ranks in refinement for spellcasters and cannot have a catch to reduce their cost).  It updates the beastiary.  And it streamlines thaumaturgy in a lot of ways.  It explains never never magic and makes soulfire worth it.
It also adds a bunch of settings like the Baltimore section.  I doubt I'll use them much but they're a fun read.
One bit I found interesting is that He Who Walks Behind isn't The Lord of Slowest Terror, he serves The Lord of Slowest Terror. 
It's full of little tidbits like that.  And has all the fun little quotes others have mentioned.
Basically it addresses a number of complaints.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 03:47:58 AM »
Did you not think Soulfire was worth it before?

And I'm not convinced this board had any influence. If they were aiming to address our complaints I think they would've done something about Feeding Dependency and Demonic Co-Pilot. Among other things.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:02:20 AM »

Soulfire as it is in YS is totally worth it for someone with no other spellcasting or with Evocation, but not for someone with Thaum... it's [-5] since it has full Thaum instead of Ritual, but having Thaum only drops the cost by 1, not 2. So you're paying twice, kind of.

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 02:47:23 PM »

And I'm not convinced this board had any influence. If they were aiming to address our complaints I think they would've done something about Feeding Dependency and Demonic Co-Pilot. Among other things.
It was kind of meh in the sense that it never felt like soulfire, just angel magic.  By giving it it's own mechanics and explaining jt further they made it feel like the epic gift it was.