Author Topic: DF-RPG Statting for our Scooby-Gang?  (Read 6775 times)

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: DF-RPG Statting for our Scooby-Gang?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 11:53:40 AM »
What do you think, how they could work in DF-Chicago?

Pretty well but there would be changes.

The first question you'd have to ask is if Buffy and Sunnydale exist?  How much of that continuity exist?

Is there only one Slayer, or is it post Season 7?  How effective is the Slayer against the various courts?

I think she can be pretty effective against White Court and Red Court (and in this retro continuity, I would make Angel a Red Court Vampire who gets his soul back to effectively become a Red Court Infected) but the Black Court would be hard to beat if they all have gaseous form.  If you change the rules slightly so that Gaseous Form is a Black Court power that develops with time, she is more effective against them.

Finally, I wouldn't put them in Chicago, or at least not in the mainstream.  The town isn't big enough for them to not change the outcome of the stories while Harry Dresden, Karrin Murphy, the Alphas, Michael Carpenter, Molly Carpenter, Waldo Butters and Thomas Raithe share the space. It's like having the Justice League and the Avengers in the same city.  There are plenty of other cities to safeguard though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:22:23 PM by Shaft »

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 12:15:57 PM »
What do you think, how they could work in DF-Chicago?

Larry Blaisdel is pretty much unchanged.  He's met Buffy, and he's been affected by transformative magic.  You can even say that his Weapons skill is a residual effect from his night as a pirate, the same way that Xander retained military skills from his army costume that night.

Edward Kendall's role is affected by the role that the Watchers play.  Are they allied to the White Council?  It's not impossible to envision such an alliance. It's also not impossible to envision a not so friendly alliance where the White Council feels that mortals should stay out of supernatural affairs while the Watcher Council doesn't trust mages enough to safeguard humanity. 

You'd have to decide if Beatrice Kendall is part of on of the Faerie Courts or else make some decisions regarding her sponsor.  I like the idea of a Dream Court with a Morpheus/Dream/Sandman in the style of Neil Gaiman at its head, and Beatrice having a complex relationship with it.  Beatrice is likely to be a changeling, who is half human and retains he free will.  It's possible that the nightmares she get is a tactic that is being used by Morpheus to get her to embrace her fae nature fully.  It's also possible that her obligation to the Watchers is the result of some kind of binding Faerie bargain, made by her or by a noble of the Dream Court.

Kamila Khan works as well.  It's possible that her origin is connected to Jared Kincaid, who is a human with demonic enhancements.  Given that the Slayer(s) got their power from some kind of Shadow magic, there might be a way to connect it to Kincaid.  It might also explain why the Slayer isn't supposed to kill mortals.  Aside from the moral implications, it could also be interpreted as a violation of the First Law.

You'd also have to decide how Buffy is connected to Kamila.  Did Buffy happen in the mid-90's?  (this also affect Larry, since this might make him about 35 years old).  Did every Slayer awaken?  Are there hundreds, or just dozens.  Is Buffy their "general"?  Is she even still alive (since this would also make he mid-thirties).  I personally like the idea of having "dozens" of slayers instead of hundreds, where the US might have a grand total of 30-40 slayers, and Kamila is one of them.  I also think it would be cool if not all of the Slayers were good.  Many of them might decide to use their powers for selfish purposes and be supernatural mercenaries of sorts.  If that is the case, do Kamila and Buffy and the other "good" Slayers feel a need to bring the bad Slayers in?

Jason Drake's stats still work but he would probably be adjusted to fit in with the Dresden model of Werewolves.  He probably works best as the same type of Werewolf that the Alphas are (and in fact, I used them as a template for his skills) which means his wolf form is a wolf, not a Wolfman the way Oz was. The good news is that his lycanthropy isn't infectious. You could give him a Hexenwolf belt if you want him to be more of a Wolfman, but that has consequences in the long run.

Henry Evans might get the raw deal in this scenario. His magic *might* impact his ability to use computers and he would be subject to the laws of magic.  It might also make sense to give him the full White Council powers (full evocation, with Fire as his preferred element), with The Sight and make him a White Council member.  Or you could downplay his thaumaturgy and make him more of a fire guy exclusively.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 12:35:22 PM by Shaft »

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 12:41:40 PM »
The other question is if they are a "team", or if they operate as a network of allies.  Harry isn't on a "team" but Karrin, the Alphas and Michael are all allies that he calls on as needed.  However, later in the series, the rest of these heroes start making their alliance more formal.

There is a definite core team with Edward, Kamila and Beatrice who is bound to Edward.  Larry's role is that of a supportive companion, so it makes sense for him to be attached as well, presumably because of a friendship with one of these members.  Jason could also be easily attached.  However, given that Henry is a loner, I see him as keeping his distance and only joining the group when circumstances necessitate it.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »
Actually, we play in 2002. In our headcanon, Kamila open her powers after Buffy's death in S5. So, Kendall around 30+, Larry about 20+, and the others are younger.
Mori can be from Winter Court, or from wildfolk. Her powers not connected with dreams and visions so much. It's more narrative details. Jason... his curse can be unique so he doesn't have to be DF-werewolf. The curse actually could be "standard" Loup-Garou curse but but the cursing one made some mistake.

RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 01:22:11 PM »
Actually, we play in 2002. In our headcanon, Kamila open her powers after Buffy's death in S5. So, Kendall around 30+, Larry about 20+, and the others are younger.
Mori can be from Winter Court, or from wildfolk. Her powers not connected with dreams and visions so much. It's more narrative details. Jason... his curse can be unique so he doesn't have to be DF-werewolf. The curse actually could be "standard" Loup-Garou curse but but the cursing one made some mistake.

Cool.  So in Dresden continuity, that's in line with Summer Knight. 

Did Buffy stay dead in your timeline?  Or did she come back and there are three Slayers?

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 02:49:32 PM »
Who knows? To be honest, we just didn't think about her. :(
P.S. That's how I see (more or less) Jason's wolf-form:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:12:52 PM by Tirs »
RPG of my dreams: vampires from True Blood, mages from Dresden files, werewolves from Mercy Thompson and fairy from... Hm,I shall think.

Offline sdfds68

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »
Is that a fur diaper?

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 11:51:03 PM »
That's how I see (more or less) Jason's wolf-form:

Yikes.  Maybe swap Endurance and Intimidate. Pretty scary.  Or add a power or stunt that boosts your fearsome appearance when you get the Refresh to spare.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »
In Dresden continuity, it might make sense for the Watcher Council to be part of the Venatori_Umbrorum   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresden_Files_groups#Venatori_Umbrorum.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »
Slight changes to Henry Evans to reflect his Dresden powers.  Adding the sight actually makes sense since he seems to be plagued by horrific visions from his magical abilities.

Henry Evans
High Concept: Nerdy Pyromancer
Trouble: LSD Addiction
Background: I memorized the Monster Manual
Rising Conflict: Tripping the Dimensional Rift
Aspect 1: Visions of the Future
Aspect 2: I work alone
Aspect 3: The good son

Skills:
Superb (+5): Conviction, Lore
Great (+4): Discipline, Scholarship (Languages: English, Sanskrit, Latin, Greek, Elvish)
Good (+3): Contacts, Investigation
Fair (+2): Burglary, Resources, Stealth
Average (+1): Alertness, Athletics, Empathy, Endurance, Rapport

Powers:
[-2] Channeling (Fire)
[-3] Thaumaturgy
[-1] The Sight
[ 0] Wizard's Constitution
[-1] Supernatural Senses (Psychic Visions)

Stunts:
High Quality Workspace
No Pain, No Gain (+1 Mild Consequence)

Total Refresh Cost: -9 Leftover Refresh: 1

Focus Item: The One Ring of Fire: +1 Control w/ Fire spells
Enchanted Item: 
2x Potion:

Stress: Physical OOO +1 Mild Consequence, Mental OOOO +1 Mild Consequence, Social OO

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 11:52:33 AM »
In Dresden continuity, it might make sense for the Watcher Council to be part of the Venatori_Umbrorum   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dresden_Files_groups#Venatori_Umbrorum.
May be.
Hell during our game I got that I really want remake of BVS. Wait... I'm not heretic, don't burn me! I mean, I want remake-NewGeneration. With new characters in the same world. As I know, original story-line continue in comics, but comic's timeline still in middle 2000s.

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »
Hell during our game I got that I really want remake of BVS. Wait... I'm not heretic, don't burn me! I mean, I want remake-NewGeneration. With new characters in the same world. As I know, original story-line continue in comics, but comic's timeline still in middle 2000s.

That sounds pretty cool, and RPGs are totally the right forum for that.  If your group wants to play a Buffy game, using Dresden rules but not set in a Dresden-verse, this is a pretty good system.  There's a pretty good writeup for Buffyverse vampires here http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Hellmouth+Vampire  (as well as others on the forum here).  The Buffyverse vampires actually operate more like Ghouls from Dresden (Ghouls even have "game faces").

There are plenty of reasons why there could be a new slayer, even if
(click to show/hide)

The other one is "just because".  You can even make discovering the reason for the new Slayer's activation one of the campaign goals.  Perhaps the Watcher council is trying to find out if someone is capable of activating or creating Slayers and the team has to find out who and/or why.  Maybe there are even other Slayers being activated and being used for sinister purposes.

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
That sounds pretty cool, and RPGs are totally the right forum for that.  If your group wants to play a Buffy game, using Dresden rules but not set in a Dresden-verse, this is a pretty good system.  There's a pretty good writeup for Buffyverse vampires here http://dfrpg-resources.wikispaces.com/Hellmouth+Vampire  (as well as others on the forum here).  The Buffyverse vampires actually operate more like Ghouls from Dresden (Ghouls even have "game faces").
Thank you. :)
spoiler
That's how we actually "activated" Kamila. After what happened in S5.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:23:46 PM by Tirs »

Offline Tirs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 07:56:43 PM »
Huh... Jason is done. Technically, his alive, but I don't want to play anymore.  I really hoped that I'll can to "just play", but I can't accept that werewolves are untermensches in Buffy-verse. But anyway I'll try to write the report abut game))
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:18:35 PM by Tirs »

Offline Shaft

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 12:30:56 AM »
Huh... Jason is done. Technically, his alive, but I don't want to play anymore.  I really hoped that I'll can to "just play", but I can't accept that werewolves are untermensches in Buffy-verse. But anyway I'll try to write the report abut game))

I look forward to the report.  I think you have a good group of characters there.  Don't get discouraged.