Author Topic: What do your wizards do for a living?  (Read 5174 times)

Offline DanteC

• Participant
    • View Profile
What do your wizards do for a living?
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »
From the books, we have a private investigator, the Wardens, council politico's, and Mort the entromancer.  I'm curious to see what your wizards do.  Presuming their trained by the Council and then let go, what jobs have your wizards done?  What do they do for a living?  A recent episode of Grimm had a bounty hunter killing Wesen who were showing their existence to humans, a sanctioned killer paid to clean up magical messes is one I can think of, as long as they act within the laws. 

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What do your wizards do for a living?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »
Maker and crafter of fine musical instruments; another will be a DNR officer--the job lets him travel the whole state in the performance of his duties.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 05:44:40 PM »
One wizard I had was a 'Vizier' behind a mafia Don

Another is a aquamancer who had a private business doing water sampling as a contractor for the city and individuals.

Another was a deputy in a small town in the Wild West...too bad I never actually got to play that one  :(

Offline Cadvin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 06:52:39 PM »
My upcoming Warden repairs bicycles on the side. Wardening doesn't pay all the bills you know!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:54:27 PM by Cadvin »

Offline killking72

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 09:48:39 PM »
Stock broker wizard that uses divination to make some money

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
Come to think of it, I never played a full wizard. I had a chloromancer who was, surprisingly, a gardener, though another version had her as an eco-terrorist living of the land.

I have an NPC concept lying around nicknamed "the seamstress", who is a magically gifted assassin that can manipulate clothes with magic. She's worked as a tailor once, but assassination is far more lucrative. Though she doesn't kill with magic, of course, just uses it to get close to her targets.

And I had an apprentice wizard, but his job was being an apprentice.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 11:28:25 PM »
I had a Wizard that did odd jobs for a number of years before actual play began. He's was a professional bounty hunter when play began (still is) and became a Warden partway through.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline dragoonbuster

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 11:30:10 PM »
I have a wizard that did odd jobs for a number of years before actual play began, including dishwashing, boxing, and dance lessons to the elderly. He was a professional bounty hunter when play began (still is) and became a Warden partway through.
I'm a blacksmith! Here's some of what I do: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoCalForge

Offline Trum4n1208

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 04:34:55 AM »
My current Sorcerer (has the ability to be a Wizard, but purposefully avoid contact with the White Council, and lives in a "Neutral" City where they have no power anyway) runs a book shop with a werewolf buddy. Within the Supernatural Community, he's a "Hero for hire" kind of type on the side.
Current Character: Alex Sharps, Sorcerer for Hire in the Big Easy

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »
Mine isn't really a wizard, but an emissary of power and he works as a crime journalist 

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 03:16:21 AM »
Since the game has been released I have had a character for a Las Vegas Game ready that I have yet to use or...properly develop for a group(I develop characters to foil off other characters). His High Concept says it all: Magician by Day, Wizard by Night.

Not the most popular Stage Magician in Vegas but he doesn't need to be. He can go anywhere in his Wizard gear because the Wizard thing is a pretty tame schtick for Vegas.   

He only does live shows and never goes on TV for obvious reasons. Always starts the show telling people, "Please turn off your cellular phones and electronic recording devices." with obvious results...a pretty good opening trick.

And because it's Dresden Files the parts of his act that use Real Magic are the ones that go over the worst. Although he does do a really really good bullet catch.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 05:14:39 PM »
Wizards in my games tend to be investigators of some stripe, consultants (one works for Monoc), work directly for the White Council in some capacity (one NPC's an engineering wizard, a couple players have been Wardens), or as a doctor.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »
My character is pretty young (18 when the campaign started) and is raising his younger sister after his father (a well known wizard) went into a coma.  He lives on a trust fund set up by his father and his Warden's stipend although he has no Resources skill.  I always figured all his money went to pay for his sister's private school and other kid stuff.  So essentially he is a stay at home dad. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Hogeyhead

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 12:19:00 AM »
After the next story arc my character will finally be a full wizard (we don't have a ton of refresh, and one has to go to a mortal stunt in our game). However if you will include wizards in training he is a professional blackmailer. He does it for fun and profit, resources 5 and with filthy lucre 7. He is not a nice man per say, but he is rich.

Offline Steed

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »
I've got an unfinished wizard who I intended to be primarily a wardsmith, with a little spellslinging-for-hire on the side.