Author Topic: Gamer-writing advice requested  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Swiftfoot

• Participant
    • View Profile
Gamer-writing advice requested
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:02:31 AM »
I'm not sure where to put this post, but I figure that since it was writing-related (vaguely), and since the Dresden Files crowd is a group of the greatest nerds I've ever met, I'd go looking to the writers for help.

I'm writing up the stories for my D&D game and I'm looking to make some monsters that will be very singular for the sessions. I do have a lycanthrope in the party (who isn't in control of his shifting, which can make for all kinds of fun), and he has dealt with some of the worst threats our home-grown setting has to offer. So, I went looking for a new challenge that would be sure to either send the party running for the hills or have the players flipping their chairs in frustration. My mind started turning toward the Loupgarou from Fool Moon and I fell in love with the idea. How should it be written, though?

Does anybody here write game sessions or have ideas that might help set this terrifying thing to paper and the imaginations of my players?

Offline Farmerbob1

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Gamer-writing advice requested
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:11:02 AM »
Well, if you want to go for something new and different, then by all means create something new - however, I would like to draw your attention to Tucker's Kobolds.

http://www.tuckerskobolds.com/

In most D&D worlds, players are constantly romping all over monster lairs.  Any monster communities that have at least some moderately intelligent individuals will learn from being tromped time after time.  Orcs and/or hobgoblins, in most fantasy, are cunning and capable fighters.  Your players might get more enjoyment out of devious and sneaky NPCs than they would get out of a new NPC type.

As to your specific question about the Loup Garou, I'm not really entirely certain what you are asking.

Offline Swiftfoot

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:10:12 PM »
I'll definitely be looking at that site, so thank you!

In regards to the Loup Garou, I was asking for advice on the mechanics of the monster. It's for a 3.5 D&D game and I'm looking to build a Final Boss for one of the players. Sorry, one of my problems when writing is that I jump from one part of a writing to the next without making the connections.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
Alrighty. Since it's a mechanical more than narrative question, the topic is probably better off in the RPG or Game Night sections.  Ill get it moved, no worries. 

Are you doing 3.5 or Pathfinder rules?  If Pathfinder, the race-builder rules are pretty slick and would let you custom tune the creature, or if you want it class-based Ive seen some really nice Jekyll/Hyde builds for the Alchemist or Brawler Classes.  Give him high DR/Silver (inherited only) and big SR, and otherwise make him a huge physical bruiser in an anthropomorphic wolf form. Lots of perceptions, probably blind-sight and scent.  Regen if you want to be mean.  In general if your goal is to make him particularly annoying it helps to set him up to be resistant to some their favorite tricks, forcing them to burn through more resources just to keep rolling.  But be careful to give them reasonable (if maybe circumstantial) advantages too; the secret is to make them find new tricks, but not to nuke their whole character build (ie dont just drop your wizard into an anti-magic field). 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 11:28:52 PM »
In most D&D worlds, players are constantly romping all over monster lairs.  Any monster communities that have at least some moderately intelligent individuals will learn from being tromped time after time.  Orcs and/or hobgoblins, in most fantasy, are cunning and capable fighters.  Your players might get more enjoyment out of devious and sneaky NPCs than they would get out of a new NPC type.
Having NPC's (of whatever race/species) learn from the action can be very helpful.  Try to make sure there are survivors to the PC's privations of villages, lairs and such... they will spread the word to their people.  The smarter ones will begin setting out lookouts/scouts, building ambushes, etc.

If the PC's come back enough times they're eventually going to have some nasty surprises waiting for them.  Also, some of those surviving NPCs can become leaders of factions bend on revenge -- making them likely candidates for antagonists that can begin driving sub-plot, maybe even major plot lines as they begin taking a personal hand in getting payback.

Always let the PC's actions help drive the story.  Where have they been?  Who have they met (particularly conflicted with)?  Some tavern fight could yield relatives of a dead guy bend on killing the party.  A merchant who feels horribly cheated because the group pawned off a cursed item on him and he's out a ton of cash getting rid of it.  They make great foils the PC's rarely expect until the bit happens.

There's the opposite too.  Very high Charisma characters can end up with "secret admirers" (some might become outright Stalkers) who do things to confuse them -- possibly even get the part in trouble in some ways (however unintentionally).  If a party member saves someone's life... that person can become an unwanted "follower" or "henchman", insisting they owe a debt and are bent on paying it back no matter how much trouble it causes, etc.

The group's own actions can and should build their reputation in a number of ways.
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 07:16:45 AM »
When I wanted to do new and interesting I actually got old school.  I pulled out a small monsters compendium I found for the original D&D not Ad&D first, second, third or 3.5 edition but the original D&D.  My uncle was left shaking his head.  Especially once he ran into the Butts.  There were some other cool ones in there too.  Like a monster that looked like a belt and could use up to 3rd level magic to help its owner.  so long as it recognized the owner.  since it was technically a monster it could attack you if it didn't like you and it couldn't talk.

There were some cool monsters in there.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)