Author Topic: Is cinder spires alera 100+ years down the line?  (Read 6791 times)

Offline brighellac

• Conversationalist
  • Butters' next great quest
    • View Profile
Is cinder spires alera 100+ years down the line?
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »
Is cinder spires alera 100+ yrs down the line?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Is cinder spires alera 100+ years down the line?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:39:04 PM »
No, it's a new setting.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 02:16:37 AM »
Sadly.

Though how talking cats showed up would be interesting.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »
Yup, new setting with new "magic" that drives users insane irrc, rather than elementals.  Some crystal power too. And wildly different geography.

It likely evolved from the "fury-punk" future alera idea he once mentioned, but the end result is not the Alera setting. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 04:29:50 AM »
Given the statements of Eferous, it would appear that the world of Cinder Spires is our world some distant time in the future.  If so, I would not expect the BAT of Dresden Files to be a resounding victory for the good guys...

Eferous refers to a joke where the Olympian Commodore was "Possessed of a Fury" being funny if you know your history, which it is.  That was just one example, I'll have to re-read to find others. 

Offline TaurosElan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 09:57:27 PM »
It may be its own world, but it makes me wonder if the Enemy is one similar to that in Codex Alera.  Spiders, the Enemy reference, sneaking behind the scenes in the shadows, and so forth.  Pretty sure the Marat said that they had originally come from another world.

On the other hand, there's been no mention of anything resembling the Croach so far.

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 12:00:26 AM »
True, but the Croach does slowly change the atmosphere when there is enough of it (since the Vord by WOJ are a sentient terraforming project for someone else), so perhaps the Mist is a part of that.

The biggest blow against the idea to me is the fact that they do get materials from the surface, such as wood, which would not be around after a long Vord settlement, since I believe they would consume the trees.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Agravaine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:19:13 AM »
Alera didn't have mythologies of Angels or Archangels, that's a feature of the post-Christian Roman Empire, hence it could not have come from the Lost Legion that founded Alera. 

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 04:06:17 AM »
I'm thinking it's Earth.

Albion would be what was left of England - Olympia would be Greece - Aurora could be several different places, although I'm leaning towards Italy.

The 9th Legion is believed to have gone *poof* a bit before 200 AD(CE) but Christianity didn't become a dominant religion until 400 AD(CE) - it was only a minor religion in the region a century before that - so I'd think it would be unlikely that the 9th Legion would be Judeo-Christian.  The hints of religion and the funeral ceremony smacked of Judeo-Christian and it would seem that the different denominations melded into a single doctrine. Or perhaps each spire has a predominant flavor and Spire Albion would be what became of the Anglican church.

Or maybe not.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 12:54:41 PM »
Wild theory: 

Alera was more or less a Human settlement that got invaded by the Zerg, is perhaps The Cinder Spires what happened when Earth got taken over by a super-powerful psychic race (aka Protoss?)  Are the Spires actually Pylons? :o

After my coffee Im sure this will make less sense to me.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »
Are the Spires actually Pylons?

Actually, that got me to thinking if the Power Cores, truly ancient ones, are Protoss pylons.  The pylons were where one could place Protoss buildings.  Hmm.  Probably not but that is what you got me to thinking.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
Actually, that got me to thinking if the Power Cores, truly ancient ones, are Protoss pylons.  The pylons were where one could place Protoss buildings.  Hmm.  Probably not but that is what you got me to thinking.
I thought there was a line about the predator having a longer range because of efficiency, and there was the passage describing the Etheric Sight and how the ether was all funneling in a massive current down the spire.  Those two made me wonder if it werent more fundamentally related to the presence of the Etheric forces.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
Ahh, that better explains what you meant.

I wouldnt say though that the Spires are actual Pylons, in Starcraft the pylons were relatively small.  But I do like that the Spires may have been partially inspired by Starcraft Pylons.

It is also important to note that the Pylons and other Protoss buildings were teleported into place with Protoss technology.

Like Jim, I really got into Starcraft around 1998-2000.  And like him, haven't really cared so much about Starcraft 2.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:18:38 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 02:18:51 PM »
Ahh, that better explains what you meant.

I wouldnt say though that the Spires are actual Pylons, in Starcraft the pylons were relatively small.  But I do like that the Spires may have been partially inspired by Starcraft Pylons.

It is also important to note that the Pylons and other Protoss buildings were teleported into place with Protoss technology.
Partially inspired is all Im going for here, in the same way that the Vord were partially inspired by the Zerg.  So size and crystalline structure aside it could still be a structure designed to harness and distribute an exotic energy.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
I'm thinking it's Earth.

Albion would be what was left of England - Olympia would be Greece - Aurora could be several different places, although I'm leaning towards Italy.

Aurora is a Far North or Far South phenomena.

I also found this, which may give some clues as the who the Aurorans descended from:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(heraldry)