Author Topic: Fate Core/ Alchemy Stunt  (Read 2408 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Fate Core/ Alchemy Stunt
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:34 PM »
I am building a fate core petty dabbler in the arcane, and I am trying to build an alchemy stunt relating to turning lead into gold (lore skill instead of resources) what do people think is a good limitation for such a skill?
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Fate Core/ Alchemy Stunt
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:22:29 AM »
You need to spend some time in your lab to turn the lead into gold, and maybe some time on the market to turn that gold into money.

Depending on the setting, you might need to be a bit secretive about it because your transmutations are a threat to the currency base or a danger to the supernatural masquerade or both.

Plus you need the appropriate ingredients.

So every time you want to use your magical Resources you need to spend some in-game time and maybe play out a mini-scene.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:38:08 AM »
Yeah, the time aspect is probably an important one.

Though I think I would make it a bit easier. If your character is keeping a stack of gold handy and accumulating wealth by transforming lead into gold, actually taking the resources skill might be appropriate.

If you don't want to do that, I would make it a "once per session" stunt. That way you can set it up as Sanctaphrax says, but you can just go the "...some time later..." route and don't have to play out the same scene every time. With a limitation like that, there might even be an additional +2 in it, since it's pretty limiting like this.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:51:06 AM »
There's the stunt that gives you +4 to a single resource roll 1/session by spending a FP.  It seems like a good way to re-skin it.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:45:47 PM »
I'd go a little different route.

Alchemist [-1]
You may use aspects created by Lore to improve a Resources skill roll.  Gain +2 to create advantage rolls for this purpose once per session.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 11:11:30 PM »
I don't see much point to that. It's not like there's any rule stopping you from using Lore advantages with Resources, and +2 to a specific kind of roll once per session is strictly worse than just having another Fate Point.

Offline Mojosilver

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
I would make it a aspect or at least part of your being a alchemists aspect.  Spend a fate point, get some resources. Do it to much and get some bad things happening to you. Skip the hassle of trying to make a stunt. New line of troubles/compels to play with. Win win the way I see it. But to each their own. :)

I don't see much point to that. It's not like there's any rule stopping you from using Lore advantages with Resources, and +2 to a specific kind of roll once per session is strictly worse than just having another Fate Point.
OOHH I like Sanctaphrax's idea to. :)

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
Couldn't you just use turning lead to gold as a justification for a Thaumarturgical skill substitution of Lore for Resources ritual?
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »

Then change it to +4 or once per scene.