Author Topic: Non-City Games  (Read 1431 times)

Offline RedRobe

• Participant
    • View Profile
Non-City Games
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:14:33 PM »
I have an idea for a non-city game that will be a mash-up of Dresden and Supernatural. The characters are all hunters and will be traveling to a few cities in the U.S., with a stop-over in South America and the Nevernever. The game will be a conversion of a lower-level d20 Modern game that I have already started. Has anyone had experience with a traveling campaign and if so how do I set up aspects for places that characters haven't been and don't know about? Should I basically work up each adventure site as its own city even if they are in the same town? Any other suggestions would be welcome! Thanks in advance!

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Non-City Games
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:15:36 PM »
Have something like a highway, mountain-range or something similar be a location.  Then it can be used almost anywhere you are.

I think admiralducksauce had a biker-gang, travelling campaign...it was quite good...

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:44:52 PM »
I'm also running a game set in the European theatre of World War II. Right now it's confined to a city, but I have grand plans.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
You don't have to create all the locations you need before you start playing. You can just as well make them up on the spot, especially for a road trip kind of game. If you've got NPCs that reappear often (someone like Crowley comes to mind), link them to a Theme rather than a location, so you can have them reappear wherever you need them to.

You don't even have to set up aspects for your locations. Give them a rough outline and put up aspects on the fly. Maybe even let your players go nuts with declarations.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal