Author Topic: What language would Grevane use for his magic?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Joelok314

• Participant
  • When it is darkest, the light shines the brightest
    • View Profile
What language would Grevane use for his magic?
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:14:16 PM »
I'm running a 1920's campaign and I'm going with a story that Grevane (after his master was killed in World War I) is trying to build up his forces to take his master's place. Was it ever mentioned what language Grevane used for his magic? If not, what do you think it would be? German after his master's native language?
A man once told me death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

Do you think a man can change his destiny?
I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed to him.

May the best day of your past, be the worst day of your future.

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
Re: What language would Grevane use for his magic?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 10:07:33 PM »
Grevane is not coming up as a name, so that's not any help.  I think you could use Old German.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: What language would Grevane use for his magic?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »
In DB it was just described as a language Harry didnt recognize.  He was a Kemmler apprentice, but that doesnt mean he has to have european heritage, especially in his magic.  He's described as having a Cultured accent, so paint him educated and he could reasonably have studied most any dead language, or even have bargained with something inhuman and learned magic in some non-human dialect, you know The Language of Blood (or somethign less cheezy :P).  Id decide what flavor you plan to run with, and give him some obscure dead language from that region.  Maybe he has a lot of aztec blood magic in his repitior, so he uses the language of the court shamen or some such. 

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain