Author Topic: Codex Alera Timeline  (Read 95493 times)

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
Codex Alera Timeline
« on: June 30, 2006, 11:18:16 PM »
We need one.

Go get 'em, Ray.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Alera Timeline
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 01:23:04 AM »
just generally speaking, I wish this board was a little bit more lively, and less of a bored. :-P
sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

In anger nothing right nor judicious can be done.

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 04:13:12 AM »
I'll get this started, and we can add to it.

Stolen from the Dresden Timeline
Let's make a system.  We don't know specifically what years these events take place, so let's say "Furies of Calderon" takes place in the year 0, and every thing else is either BFC (Before Furies of Calderon) or AFC (After Furies of Calderon).  You're welcome to replace my acronyms with something more clever!

Page numbers refer to the US hardback editions of Furies of Calderon through Cursor's Fury.

GENERAL TIMELINE

~1000 BFC: House of Gaius becomes the leading power of Alera (FC p. 65)

~80 BFC: Gaius Sextus born.

~15 BFC: Battle of Calderon. Marat hordes destroy Crown Legion and kill Princeps Septimus Gaius.  Aleran Legions 'crush' the horde weeks later. (FC p. 56)

~15 BFC: Marat hordes disappear from Calderon Valley. (FC p. 56)

15 BFC: Tavi is born (FC p. 28) at the end of First Calderon. (confirmed in CF)
-Kitai is born. (FC p. ?? - revealed during Challenge of Wit)
-Alia dies. (CF Chapter 5)

5 BFC: Amara arrives at the Royal Academy. (FC p. 62)

~3 BFC: Caria marries First Lord Gaius Sextus. (FC p. 62)

~3 BFC: Feverthorn Border - Fidelias helps break up an illegal slaving operation involving the Slavers Consortium and Dianic League. (FC p. 75)

0 AFC, late Fall: Furies of Calderon.
-Tavi is living in the Calderon Valley on Bernardholt with his 'Aunt' Isana and Uncle Bernard.  Unlike other Alerans, Tavi doesn't have any known Furies of his own.
-Amara is betrayed by her teacher, Fidelias. (FC p. 19)
-First mention of Isana's apparent inability to bear children: The way no one had thought Isana would ever be able to. (FC p. 40)
-Tavi and Bernard encounter a female Herdbane, which usually lives further south (Feverthorn Jungle).  Bernard is injured. (FC p. 49-53)
-Tavi meets his first Marat. (FC p. 55)
-The First Lord orders Amara to the Calderon Valley (FC p. 65)
-Tavi bonds with Kitai of the Marat. (FC p. 307-308)
-Second Battle of Calderon.
-Tavi receives patronage to the Academy from the First Lord. (FC p. 433)

2 AFC, late Winter, early Spring ("Wintersend"): Academ's Fury.  Tavi is attending the Academy and is serving as a personal page for the First Lord.

5 AFC, Spring: Cursor's Fury.  Tavi is assigned to the First Aleran Legion undercover as Third Subtribune Scipio Rufus.

7 AFC, Summer: Captain's Fury.  Tavi remains Captain of the First Aleran.

8 AFC, Winter: Princeps' Fury.  As Princeps, Tavi travels to Canea with the First Aleran, the Free Aleran, and Nasaug's armies.

OTHER MISC INFO

Calderon Valley 'lies just over the isthmus between Alera and the plains beyond.' (FC p. 64)

HIGH LORDS OF ALERA

Aquitaine -- Lord Attis, Lady Invidia
Rhodes
Kalare -- Lord Brencis (Majoris).  Son is Brencis Minoris.
Placida -- Lord Sandos, Lady Aria (once dueled the High Lord of Rhodes)
Cereus -- Lord Ventis/Macius (both used in CuF).  Daughter is Lady Veradis.
Antillus -- Lord Raucous, Lady Dorotea (sister of Kalarus Brencis).  Legitimate son is Crassus, Illegitimate son is Maximus.
Atticus -- Lord Quentin(FoC)/Elios(CuF)
Riva -- Lord Grantus

ENEMIES OF THE REALM

Icemen
Marat
Canim
Vord
Children of the Sun (wiped out long ago)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:26:28 PM by Priscellie »

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 11:16:22 PM »
This is great!  Well done, April!

IIRC, the battle in FoC is called "The Second Battle of Calderon."  I'm trying to find a date for First Calderon and coming up blank, but for some reason I feel like it was within two years of Tavi's birth.  I might be completely making it up, though.

We should probably be able work up some of the timeline for Fade and Miles, as well.  And I think Kitai's age is mentioned somewhere.  This promises to be fun!

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 11:38:58 PM »

IIRC, the battle in FoC is called "The Second Battle of Calderon."  I'm trying to find a date for First Calderon and coming up blank, but for some reason I feel like it was within two years of Tavi's birth.  I might be completely making it up, though.

Welll....given various hints....it has to be within a certain 9 month period.
sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 12:08:24 AM »
Well,  the Princeps is killed ~15 BFC, so I'm assuming that's when the First Battle of Calderon is.  I'll put the title in there for the second battle also.

I've only gotten to chapter 9 and misc bit's I grabbed the other night, but I have the day off tomorrow, and will try to get more done then.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 04:27:16 AM »

Yeah, but wasn't there talk in another thread about how someone must have lied about Tavi's age yada yada yada?  Ignore me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 04:39:36 AM »
yeah, but it didn't make sense. Basically, they were arguing that he was two or three younger than he was, which would mean that he was born several years AFTER first calderon, which would invalidate all those hints about his parentage.

Yeah, but wasn't there talk in another thread about how someone must have lied about Tavi's age yada yada yada?  Ignore me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 05:44:54 AM »
Do we know for sure that they said that Tavi was born -during- First Calderon?  If it happened say 14 years ago, and Isana told Tavi he was 17...well, you get the point. :)
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 06:50:04 AM »
"You're a fifteen-year-old boy, Tavi.  There's always a girl." Furies of Calderon page 28

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 10:55:43 PM »
Do we know for sure that they said that Tavi was born -during- First Calderon?  If it happened say 14 years ago, and Isana told Tavi he was 17...well, you get the point. :)

I don't exactly get what you are saying, but I think he had to be conceived before first calderon, given that is when his father died, and not too much before, otherwise, he wouldn't be a secret, you know?

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 01:25:20 AM »
What I'm saying is do we know the exact date of the First Calderon compared to Tavi's supposed age?  The book does keep saying how Tavi's very small for his age and so on--if Isana's saying he was older than he is, to get him away from First Calderon's date, that'd work well. :)  I just don't recall if there's an exact time on First Calderon.  Now I'm curious.
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Kalium

• Conversationalist
  • Order of the Slightly Dented Denarius
    • View Profile
    • AnimeMusicVides.org
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 02:17:33 AM »
We know the Princeps was killed at First Calderon. It's mentioned more than once. So, anything about when the Princeps died would tell us when First Calderon was.

As for when Tavi was born, about all we have to go on is what Isana and others say. My guess is that Isana tells Tavi a number, then Tavi takes her at her word. So if Isana lies, nobody else knows (except for Gaius, I expect).
This is not a .sig. It is a cabbage.

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 03:16:15 AM »
What I'm saying is do we know the exact date of the First Calderon compared to Tavi's supposed age?  The book does keep saying how Tavi's very small for his age and so on--if Isana's saying he was older than he is, to get him away from First Calderon's date, that'd work well. :)  I just don't recall if there's an exact time on First Calderon.  Now I'm curious.

It's only mentioned once or twice, and only in the first book. He's not especially small for his age, just hadn't hit is growthspurt. By the second book, he is quite clearly 17ish...and in those teen years, a year or two does make a big difference, don't you think?
But the thing is, he cannot be more than 9 months 'younger' than first calderon. " Because that is where the princeps died. Additionally, in the second book they reference several times. "Small for his age" would imply younger wouldn't it? Which thus indicates that it isn't an issue, since that is not possible.

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 05:24:58 AM »
Er, no, you don't get my point.  What I was saying is this: do the books -say- outright that Tavi's birthdate (the one Isana gave him) is the same time as the First Calderon?  Let's say FC happened 15 years ago.  If Isana wanted to hide his age, she could say he's older than that, or younger.  He looks 'young for his age' so older than that is possible.  It would all depend on whether or not his birthdate is flagged as the time of FC ICly or not.

Though oddly, looking at the book (to get information to comment further on), Tavi insists that First Calderon happened far before he was born--it's in the section with the Princeps' Monument.