Author Topic: Codex Alera Timeline  (Read 95497 times)

Offline Gallowglass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Alera Timeline
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »
FoC, AF and CuF began with quotes from Gaius Primus, Gaius Secundus and Gaius Quartus respectively.

edited to correct spelling

So if I provided quotes from George III, George IV and George V or Elizabeth I and Elizabeth II, does that mean that they followed each other directly onto the throne?   Now if JB had provided dates, then things would be different.

Offline lugonn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »
As I understand things the Gaius line has ruled for the last thousand years, but the reason it's Gaius Sextus is that whenever the direct line died out the nearest relative become the new Gaius Primus then Secondus etc and when that line failed they had another new Gaius Primus and so on.
What I'd like to know is if the House of Gaius has ruled for a thousand years, how long have the Aleareans been on Canea?

Offline Gallowglass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2008, 02:04:05 AM »
I disagree with that.  The House of Gaius has ruled for 1,000 years and while a Cadet Branch might have taken over, as we know the House isn't all that fertile, I personally doubt they simply started over, if only because it would have been an insult to the original Primus.

At the very least, there has had to have been over 20 First Citizens of the House of Gaius in my estimation.  I would say that the average reign has been for approximaely years, inheriting about age 25, giving them 25 years to have a son, then 25 more to let him get old enough to rule.  Actually, my average is probably wildly overstated so there has probably been a lot more First Citizens than just 20.

Most likely the original Primus got the name when he took over and began to rule as First Citizen.  It might have been that he shared the same real name as his son, so people started talking about him as Gaius Primus to differentiate between him and his son.  Therefore the likelhood is that the numeration became used for the really Great first citizens and Sextus took it for his own.

As for when the Romans who became the Alerans arrived, Jim had pinpointed it fairly accurately, during the reign of Gaius Agustus Caesar, also known as Octavian/Octavius which is the supposed base for October.  Augustus never took the title of Emperor although he held the power.  He always insisted upon the title of 'First Citizen', can you see the parallels.

The organization of the Legions is pretty much the same as during Augustus reign.  The only real question is where all the nice horsies came from since generally the only horses in a camp would be for the officers and most transport was by mule or oxen wagon.

Offline lugonn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2008, 07:11:47 AM »
I stand by my original assertion about the cadet lines, in Princeps Fury (page 46) when they are talking about the construction of the Senatorium Lady Placida say it was constructed by the original Gaius Secondus i.e there has been other Gaius Secondus' since then.

Also I understand your point about the length of time on Canea but when talking about the legions (page 66 Princeps Fury) Gaius Sextus says the reputation of the legions is thousands of years old. This doesn't match the time line even if you went back to the founding of Rome and included that

Offline Zaphodess

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2008, 08:57:56 AM »
Lugonn is right. You can look it up here.

Offline Gallowglass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 02:28:03 AM »
Damn, missed that entire topic altogether.

Okay, so the Cadet lines have taken over the naming convention, no problem.

Offline DLFSquints

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
I am making an assumption that FoC takes place at the same time as our own time.
That means that FoC takes place in 2004 AD (or CE)

Date in Our TimeDate Relative to Furies of CalderonEvents
9 AD1,995 Years beforeRoman 17th, 18th and 19th Legions plus Germanic opponents sent to Carna
10 AD1,994 Years beforeApia Founded on Carna
C. 500 AD~1,500 Years beforeFury Crafting Discovered
C. 1,000 AD~1,000 Years beforeHouse of Gauis becomes First Lords of Alera
C. 1,150 AD~850 Years beforeSenatorum founded & Gray Tower built
C. 1,500 AD~500 Years beforeChildren of the Sun destroyed in Feverthorn Jungle
1989 AD16 Years beforeGauis Septimus Wounded at the Battle of the Seven Hills
Gauis Septimus marries Isana

1989 AD15 Years beforeFirst Battle ofCalderon
Gauis Septimus Killed by Kalurus Brencis Majoris, High Lord Rhodes & Lady Invidia + others,
Gauis Octavian Born

1999 AD 10 Years BeforeGauis Sextus marries Attica Caria
2004 AD1 Day BeforeAmara ex Cursori and Fidelias ex Cursori begin final training exercise for Amara ex Cursori

I would like to flush this out more so posts and I will update as more info comes in I am stopping at the start of Furies of Calderon as we know what happens from there on out

Thaks Priscilla for the correction (but what are the odds that it was exactly between us)
Gone a Drinkin'

Oh God I am hungover

Offline DLFSquints

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »
So far we have seen 6 Gauis' referenced
Gauis Primus (Preface Writing Foc)
Gauis Secondus (Preface Writing, AF, Possibly more than One)
Gauis Quartus (Preface Writing CuF)
Gauis Sextus
Gauis Septimus
Gauis Octavian
Gone a Drinkin'

Oh God I am hungover

Offline baden77

• Participant
  • Follower of both worlds.....
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
There has been talk of the next Codex book being the last in the series, has anyone heard news of a prequel.  As you mentioned in your time line, the beginning isn't very flushed out by references in the current books.  I for one would like to read about how the original furies compare to the modern day versions.  If the First Lord's fury is anything to compare, she seems to be a reasoning person not a pet like the rest.
The begining of all wisdom comes from the statement "I do not know."   -Kung Fu:  The Legend Continues

Offline gaius octavian

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »
Welll....given various hints....it has to be within a certain 9 month period.

Yeah, but wasn't there talk in another thread about how someone must have lied about Tavi's age yada yada yada?  Ignore me, I don't know what I'm talking about.

not really that talk was about when isana stunted tavis growth in order to make him look younger so he didnt look like the princepts son so the enemies his father had wouldnt come looking for him anbd try to kill him u kno wat i mean? soz bout the spoilers

Offline Maat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2009, 02:43:49 AM »
I'm trying to hammer out a timeline for Raucus Antillus in particular and others incidentally, and I'm running into a frustration.

In the Princeps' Fury Prologue, we have "Raucus had cut his teeth in battle at fourteen years of age." And it's been "forty years since" then.

BUT, in Chapter 32, Aria says that she's been close to Raucus "since I was fourteen years old" at the Academy. Then (same chapter) Araris says that "Thirty years ago" he was in his "first term at the Academy when [Raucus] and Septimus were in their second."

For that to work, Raucus would have to be 24 in his second term at the Academy (when Aria sent her sons at 16--Ch. 32 again--and that sounded typical, especially since Amara started at 13 at the latest--FoC, Ch.35--and Tavi started at 15/16). He would also have to be close friends with a 14/15 year old girl (which I find mildly creepy, but that could just be me being judgmental).

Have I gotten any of my years wrong? Unfortunately, I got the book out of the library and can't double-check to make sure my notes are right. Do you think the "forty years" and "thirty years" statements could be rounding, so that it's actually slightly less than 40 and slightly more than 30?

Offline Maat

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2009, 04:00:07 AM »
So far we have seen 6 Gauis' referenced
Gauis Primus (Preface Writing Foc)
Gauis Secondus (Preface Writing, AF, Possibly more than One)
Gauis Quartus (Preface Writing CuF)
Gauis Sextus
Gauis Septimus
Gauis Octavian

We've also seen a Tertius, whose policies stopped inflation and allowed the beginning of the silkbat industry. He isn't explictly a Gaius, but considering he's setting fiscal policy for Alera, he probably is. (AF Ch.34) And we've seen a Gaius Pentius, who kept a secret passage from his study to his mistress Lady Annalisa's bedchamber. (AF 52) My personal pet theory is that this was Gaius Sextus' father, and that's why he's so obsessive about not taking a mistress/shaming Caria, despite everything. But that's a pet theory.

Offline Mpol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2009, 01:20:31 AM »
These books take place around the time of Christ?

Offline Gallowglass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2009, 01:55:12 AM »
We've also seen a Tertius, whose policies stopped inflation and allowed the beginning of the silkbat industry. He isn't explictly a Gaius, but considering he's setting fiscal policy for Alera, he probably is. (AF Ch.34) And we've seen a Gaius Pentius, who kept a secret passage from his study to his mistress Lady Annalisa's bedchamber. (AF 52) My personal pet theory is that this was Gaius Sextus' father, and that's why he's so obsessive about not taking a mistress/shaming Caria, despite everything. But that's a pet theory.

While the same family has been ruling Alera for a thousand years, it hasn't always been the same branch.  The first of each family calls himself Primus, his son/heir Secondus, with Secondus's son/heir being Tertius.  Branches of the family die out, starting the entire naming procedure again.  The current family in charge has lasted 8 generations, thus Gaius Octavian.

Offline Gallowglass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2009, 01:59:05 AM »
These books take place around the time of Christ?

According to my memory of what JB said, the Legion was taken about 100ad.  Alerans have approximately a 2,000 year history with the Gaius Family having ruled for the last 1,000 years, essentially making the Codex our time equivalent.  Who knows, JB might decide to have an entire division of the Waffen SS show up to help defeat the Vord which given that Furies=Pokeman, is possible, just as a bad example of duex ex machina or something saves the day for the good guys, from somewhere nobody knew about.