Author Topic: Codex Alera Timeline  (Read 101738 times)

Offline novium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Codex Alera Timeline
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2006, 05:11:03 PM »
Maybe a few women held the throne? Maybe a few of them went by other names. If they're like the roman emperors who had half a dozen names more than usual...for example:
Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, aka Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, aka Nero Claudius Drusus Germanicus...

or Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus (caligula, which was a nickname from when he was a kid)

or Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar Augustus.

Of course, they are only known by one name, now....
sed tamen ira procul absit, cum qua nihil recte fieri, nihil considerate potest.

In anger nothing right nor judicious can be done.

Offline farraday

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 07:40:38 PM »
Hmm rough CF timeline.

So.. cf spoilers obviously.

*NRS Night of the red stars.

4y ABC Late Summer-Gaius leaks a letter to Kalare claiming he's making Aquitaine his heir. Tavi is sent to Appia to help Maestro Magnus.
-roughly a week later, Kalare begins positioning his forces.
5y ABC Early Spring- 7 weeks before NRS Max meets up with Tavi and Magnus at Appia, foil an assassination and head for the 1st Aleran. itaine.
-6 weeks before NRS Amara and Bernard arrive in Ceres. Isana is touring with Lady Aquitaine.
-1 month before NRS Tavi Max and Magnus join the 1st Aleran.
-3 weeks before NRS Tavi "fixes" the ration cups, Max is injured. Captain Demos stop at Wesmiston on his way to the Canim homeland. Isana arirves inCeres somewhere around here.
-day prior to NRS Tavi realizes Kitai is in the camp.
-Night of the Red Stars. Tavi has been with the legion roughly 1 month Demos raids Westmiston, Ehern pays him to take word back to Aleran. Kalare unleashed the Immortals, his legions begin their attack.
-1 day after NRS Seige of Ceres begins. Amara hostage Rescue team that starts towards Kalare. Isana begins healing fade
-1 week after NRS 1st Aleran arrives at Elinarch
~Unclear but probably 10 or so days after NRS Ehern warns 1st Aleran that the Canim are coming. Command staff is killed by lightning. Tavi assumes command. Scouting mission.
~11-12 days after NRS Battle of Elinarch.
~11 days after NRS Amara and the rescue team arrive in Kalare
~12 day after NRS, Rescue Team Escapes with the Hostages, Kalarus is knocked out of the Sky, Gaius is Informed of the Hostages safety.
~ 20 days after NRS Kalarus is in Ceres with Brencis torching Orphanges.
~21-22 days after NRS Marcus(Fidelias) meets Gaius Sextus at Elinarch.
-28 days Still Healing Fade Ceres under siege, Kalarus' forces break through the wall.
-29 days after NRS Siege of Ceres is lifted. Placidus' legions come to the aid of Ceres, Fade is healed.

Okay, now I'm pretty sure on my timeline here.

The siege of Ceres can't start till the NRS and it is clearly roughly 29 days long.

The 1st Aleran Clearly arrives at the Elinarch a week after NRS and the Battle of the Elinarch starts the day after Ehern arrives there. Now there is definately some room between them arriving at Elinarch and them getting word from Ehern. The only specific time line mention I can find is that it's been a week since the First Lords last, and only, missive.  If that was the orders to move to Elinarch, the time line shortens considerably. If it wasn't you could have as much as an extra week to play with, but during that week apparently Max and Tavi haven't had any time to talk. Regardless, the First Lord meets Fidelias 10 days after the battle.

More problematic is the rescue mission. Amara says it took 10 or 11 days to reach Kalare, and once they do the rescue misison goes off in the next day or two at most. It should be noted that at this point the Red Mist is also starting to break up. Furthermore, after Placidus gets word Aria is safe he force marches his legions to Ceres in less than a day.

I have no solution to this unless it actually took Amara and the rescue team 20 some days to reach Kalare. The other option would be that there was a distinct gap between Gaius finding out Placidus Aria and Atticus Elania were saved and him passing the information on to the High Lords.

If anyone has an idea or sees an error made please feel free to correct me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 09:03:56 PM by farraday »

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2006, 04:08:45 AM »
Sorry I've slacked on this [in a major way].  If I have access at work, I'll print everything out, and then sit down and combine everyone's info and then re-integrate it into the main timeline post.  If I don't have access, I'll be tackling this over the holiday weekend. *crosses fingers she has access at work*

Offline Darron

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2006, 12:23:12 PM »
Another time point.

Aldrick became an outlaw "18 years ago" during FoC.  Which puts that 3 years BFC.  Which most likely sets the timeframe for the famous Araris/Aldrick duel to at least that early.

This explains why Issana doesn't seem to recognize Aldrick.  He wasn't with the crown legion at or just before First Calderon.

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2006, 01:05:02 PM »
Farraday - What does your ABC thing mean?  I need to know in order to integrate your timeline into the main one.

Thanks Darron, I'll add that in when I get home from work.

Any page numbers to support any of this would greatly help.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2006, 01:08:53 PM »
I took it to mean "After the Battle of Calderon," or rather "After Second Calderon."

Offline Darron

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2006, 01:34:27 PM »
The conversation where Aldrick claims to have been an outlaw for 18 years is on page 308 of the FoC paperback.

Offline farraday

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2006, 05:28:57 PM »
Priscillie is correct, I should have included that in the post but I added those two kind of as an afterthought to pin it down in the general timeline.

Also I'm not sure my timeline should be integrated until we've hammered out the apparent discrepancy in the later half of the timeline.

The supporting pg numbers though, which i definitely also should have included.

4y ABC Late Summer(pg 10)-Gaius leaks a letter to Kalare claiming he's making Aquitaine his heir. Tavi is sent to Appia to help Maestro Magnus.
-roughly a week later, Kalare begins positioning his forces.(pg 12)
5y ABC Early Spring(pg 42)- 7 weeks before NRS Max meets up with Tavi and Magnus at Appia, foil an assassination and head for the 1st Aleran. (pg 27)
-6 weeks before NRS Amara and Bernard arrive in Ceres(pg 76).
-1 month before NRS Tavi Max and Magnus join the 1st Aleran.(3 week travel time, pg 42, one month before NRS pg 158))Roughly in this area Isana is touring with Lady Aquitaine(pg 59).
-3 weeks before NRS Tavi "fixes" the ration cups(pg 63), Max is injured. Captain Demos stop at Wesmiston on his way to the Canim homeland(pg 15).
-1 week prior Isana arrives in Ceres somewhere around here.(estimate)
-day prior to NRS Tavi realizes Kitai is in the camp(estimate, 'almost a month' since Max was injured)
-Night of the Red Stars.  Demos raids Westmiston, Ehern pays him to take word back to Aleran.(pg 159) Kalare unleashed the Immortals, his legions begin their attack.(pg 135-136)
-1 day after NRS Seige of Ceres begins(pg 136/194). Amara hostage Rescue team that starts towards Kalare(pg 194). Isana begins healing fade.(pg 200)
-1 week after NRS 1st Aleran arrives at Elinarch(pg 213)
~*Unclear but as little as 8 days after NRS, probably 10 Ehern warns 1st Aleran that the Canim are coming. Command staff is killed by lightning. Tavi assumes command. Scouting mission.
~ 11-12 days after NRS Battle of Elinarch.(Ehern Arrived at Night, the next day the battle started was fought through the next night and ended at mid day)
~11 days after NRS(based on pg 375) Amara and the rescue team arrive in Kalare(
~12 day after NRS, Rescue Team Escapes with the Hostages, Kalarus is knocked out of the Sky, Gaius is Informed of the Hostages safety.(pg 389-390)
~ 20 days after NRS Kalarus is in Ceres with Brencis torching Orphanges.(pg 225)
~21-22 days after NRS Marcus(Fidelias) meets Gaius Sextus at Elinarch.(pg 433)
-28 days Still Healing Fade Ceres under siege, Kalarus' forces break through the wall.(pg 268-269)
-29 days after NRS Siege of Ceres is lifted. Placidus' legions come to the aid of Ceres, Fade is healed.(pg 425/429)

* There is an indistinct reference to the last dispatch from the First Lord arriving a week ago(pg 214) that is the only thing that really references when the Battle Of Elinarch might have taken place. Figures based on the battle then are slightly speculative.

Clearly though the larger problem deals with the rescue mission. On further review the rescue mission "must take place on the 28th day after NRS reference pg 428. "...(the clouds) started breaking up over the cities furthest inland the day before we reached Kalare. After two or three days they fell apart completely)." On pg 269 however referencing the last day of the Siege the clouds are still clearly in effect.

This could also be fixed by having the siege be shorter, however that more directly contradicts the story.

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2006, 12:57:20 AM »
Thanks very much for the page numbers and abbreviation clarification.  I'll add in what I can.  I did manage to print everything previous out at work, so I'll just tack your page numbers on so I can have it all in front of me.  It's easier that ALT-TABing back and forth between pages.

Offline Aerhen

• Conversationalist
  • Aspiring Writer... or is that Perspiring
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2006, 04:06:17 PM »
Reading this thread.. i have to respond about the speculation to Tavi's age...

Isana has never not claimed that Tavi was not born during the time near First Calderon.  She has stated many times that he is the son her sister... conceived when both she and her sister served their time with the legions.  Her sister died during that time.. so there was no evidence to disprove that she was not the mother.. and this is the theory that she has held on to since his birth.. its what she told tavi.. its what she told bernard... its what she has told anyone who has asked about Tavi's birth.

We know from CF that Isana later decided to make Tavi look younger... and smaller for his age so that no one would think he could have been born during this time... why she ended up doing this i dont know.. because she had already affirmed who his mother was.. and it was in the records when his alleged mother was seriving her time in the legion... I dont think she ever lied aboout his age.. the only lie was in making him look younger.. and using her furies to suppress his growth and his fury faculties.

Since he has been away from her influence and those of her furies.... and those around calderon.  His biological clock started working correctly, and his fury clock began as it should have if it hadnt been surppressed at all..

There are two points i would now like to make...

One... did isana use any water crafting to alter Tavi's appearance so he would look less like the princeps... because if she did... that too is starting to wear off... but here is the more interesting one..

We know that Isana said she has one fury.. Rill.. but when she was crafting Tavi's potential into suppression, she said that Furies... plural ... around the steadholt would do it for her with but little thought on her part... why were there extra furies helping... we know that the furies in the steadholts are more violent and independant... stronger.... so why would these other furies be willing to help... unless perhaps they were drawn to Tavi's potential... and since they knew it was at this time in his best interest.... they helped...
because they recognized his bloodline...

this would also explain some of the things that tavi has been able to do... these instincts.. or senses.. or feats of strength or stamina or insight that a furyless person should not be able to do... he was not directing the furies.. but rather the furies were in some way attempting to help him...  this perhaps would explain a lot of the interesting things which have happened around Tavi..

only know.. at the end of this last book.. he is no consciously aware of these furies... and is beginning to gain the ability to commune.. command or compel them...

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2006, 02:34:20 AM »
We know that Isana said she has one fury.. Rill.. but when she was crafting Tavi's potential into suppression, she said that Furies... plural ... around the steadholt would do it for her with but little thought on her part... why were there extra furies helping... we know that the furies in the steadholts are more violent and independant... stronger.... so why would these other furies be willing to help... unless perhaps they were drawn to Tavi's potential... and since they knew it was at this time in his best interest.... they helped...because they recognized his bloodline...
From the things Jim has said, Furies don't really have that much intelligence and independence of thought.  While someone like Isana might only have one main fury, any furycrafter can do things with the many myriad smaller furies imbuing the world around them.  The furylights are a good example.  All you have to be able to do is be heard by furies, and you can control the furylamps.  Similarly, Isana could use the lesser furies around the steadholt to help suppress Tavi.  Wouldn't even have to be only water furies.
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Aequitas

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2006, 07:30:39 AM »
First, Now that Tavi has found his Furycrafting there's no reason for him not being proclaimed as heir, other then him becoming a target.
Second,  Recall that the First lord Gaius warned Tavi to be careful in his intimacy with the Margat "Kitai".
Third, Tavi will NEVER accept any future without Kitai as his mate.  She is bonded to him, even to the extent that she has developed Furycrafting.
Fourth, Isana and Fade have faced their past, and seem to have accepted their role are pair bonded/married.
Fifth, Isana will not stay in the camp of Aquitine, and Fade will support/defend her.
Sixth, Tavi allowed the female Canim to flee, he also has good links with Varg, as well as the leader of the Warrior caste, and this hints to some very interesting potentials.
Seventh, All, or all that were known of the canim seers/priests were slain, this may very well allow a dipomatic solution with Tavi acting as the Aleran emisary.

There are more points, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

I wish Jim had some good maps of his world.  Maps are a good thing, as is a glossary, espcially with a list of who's who.   

Offline Aerhen

• Conversationalist
  • Aspiring Writer... or is that Perspiring
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 11:02:59 PM »
my guess in that regard.. is that the first half of the book is going to be helping ot contain the Canim.. with the help of the Marat... and an eventual truce .. as u suggested.. and that the legion will be drawn off to the north... i dont think the truce will occur unless the Canim reveal why they left their homeland....  there is plenty of space for them near this area ... so it would be a nice settlement... and an end to the threat... remember.. the Canim were fostered to hate the alerans.. considering them a plague... the question is why.. and how this came about..

a potential interesting thought...

Offline ponbern

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2007, 06:08:42 AM »
~11 days after NRS(based on pg 375) Amara and the rescue team arrive in Kalare
~12 day after NRS, Rescue Team Escapes with the Hostages, Kalarus is knocked out of the Sky, Gaius is Informed of the Hostages safety.(pg 389-390)
~ 20 days after NRS Kalarus is in Ceres with Brencis torching Orphanges.(pg 225)
that attack happened before the rescue, Kalarus was bringing home Brencis after miles nearly killed him.
There are some sick people on the Internet...I seem destined to meet (and piss off) them all.

*looks at matt yet again* "scratch the medpack and bacta tank. I'll take a master craft headstone with epitaph +2"-Ian
"Do I really get ten darkside points for punting the jawa into the Dark Jedi??"-Me

Offline LazerWulf

• Participant
  • Butters is my role model
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2007, 12:12:47 AM »
Okay, I read Cursor's Fury not too long ago, and it seems a lot of you are missing a key point.

In CuF, Isana's flashbacks seem to indicate that she was pregnant during the siege at First Calderon (FC), which she says is 20 years ago (though this could be a round number). Chapter 47 seems to indicate that Tavi was born while they fled. In all probability, Octavian was born on the exact same day Septimus died.

Isana stunted Tavi's growth to make it seem like he couldn't be Septimus' heir. He was never called short for his age because Isana lied about that, too, making people think that he was born after FC. However, some survivors of FC would have known she was pregnant, and known Alia wasn't, so to make the ruse complete, she claimed that her own pregnancy was miscarried, and that Alia was Tavi's mother. Alia wasn't around to refute it, and Araris/Fade had just as much reason to protect Tavi as Isana. It's unknown how long they were in hiding, probably long enough so that Bernard wouldn't have to be let in on the ruse. However, Isana couldn't hide the fact that Alia was dead for long, so Tavi's presumed birth date is probably no later than a year after his actual birth date.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong
O'Toole's Principle: Murphy was an optimist