Author Topic: Mab preventing use of Little Chicago  (Read 31990 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Mab preventing use of Little Chicago
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2015, 10:03:44 PM »
In PG, tracking spells failed with or without LC until the right materials were used.  No extended range has been shown that I know of.
I though we had come to an agreement on this.  There's textual evidence that Harry started using LC for his tracking spells.  Based on his new procedure, he would have used LC for the tracking spell before he knew it wouldn't work.  they're not done one at a time, but done together.

Your car analogy isn't accurate.  If the tracking spell is the battery, then he would simply try starting the car with the battery in.  you're implying he works take the battery out to test it, and is it's good, put it back in to start the car.

or, as he's shown, just try to start the car with the battery in, and then deconstruct from there.

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2015, 10:31:12 PM »
There's textual evidence that Harry started using LC for his tracking spells.

Not for ALL of them, so no I thought we agreed that Harry could NOT use LC unless a tracking spell would have worked.  He doesn't run home and use LC at all times.  He uses it with convenience or when he wants more out of a tracking spell other than a triangulation.   Remember when he tracked Thomas in WN?

The car analogy is this.  If a tracking spell will not work, then neither will LC.  He can do whatever he wants and LC sits there dead as a lump.  The moment a tracking spell WILL work then LC will do things.  So why would Harry use it if he had already tried tracking and it didn't work?

So, let me repeat...if a tracking spell that does not use LC would not track a target then LC does nothing.  You can do whatever you want to LC at that point and it is just a model sitting on a desk.  What LC does is allow the tracking spells to do more in Chicago than just triangulate.   The reason that LC is not useful in finding Thomas without a tracking spell is quite obvious...you would still have to cover every square inch of Chicago and then you still might not find him (because he would not be in Chicago).

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:37 PM »
Not for ALL of them, so no I thought we agreed that Harry could NOT use LC unless a tracking spell would have worked.  He doesn't run home and use LC at all times.  He uses it with convenience or when he wants more out of a tracking spell other than a triangulation.   Remember when he tracked Thomas in WN?

The car analogy is this.  If a tracking spell will not work, then neither will LC.  He can do whatever he wants and LC sits there dead as a lump.  The moment a tracking spell WILL work then LC will do things.  So why would Harry use it if he had already tried tracking and it didn't work?

So, let me repeat...if a tracking spell that does not use LC would not track a target then LC does nothing.  You can do whatever you want to LC at that point and it is just a model sitting on a desk.  What LC does is allow the tracking spells to do more in Chicago than just triangulate.   The reason that LC is not useful in finding Thomas without a tracking spell is quite obvious...you would still have to cover every square inch of Chicago and then you still might not find him (because he would not be in Chicago).
Ah, I think I know where our breakdown is.

To you, we've seen Harry continue to use only tracking spells in the books while out and about.  You're assuming that Harry would try that first to hit the road.  And since he was already home, he intended to use the circle in the basement to create a mobile tracking spell he could then take with him.

For the rest of us, we're assuming that he'd use LC to locate him since he was already home, and use it to find out more about the location where he's being held.  it doesn't make much sense for the Naagloshi to be moving about, so we're assuming that he uses LC once and doesn't bother with an ongoing tracking spell.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2015, 11:03:33 PM »

If Harry felt it was worth trying a tracking spell, succeed or not, and he was home, he'd go straight for LC in a situation like that. The more he knew about the location where Shaggy was holding Thomas, the better chance Harry had to rescue him.

Using a regular tracking spell, assuming it works, means he might find himself in a dangerous place with no idea of what lie in wait for him.

The issue is not if the tracking spell would work or not, the issue is that if Harry was home and was going to try an tracking spell anyway, he'd use his best tool to do so, LC.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:06:40 PM by Tami Seven »
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2015, 10:59:26 PM »
So I think we have reached the end.  Which is that it is possible for Mab to have done so, but I still ask why...when she would have known it would fail in your model.  In my mind it is just easier to see it as covered because Molly was doing something that might damage it. And Harry could uncover it whenever he needed it.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2015, 11:30:30 PM »
So I think we have reached the end.  Which is that it is possible for Mab to have done so, but I still ask why...when she would have known it would fail in your model.  In my mind it is just easier to see it as covered because Molly was doing something that might damage it. And Harry could uncover it whenever he needed it.
Or he had it covered because of his relationship with Luccio.  I'm not sure why he'd be keeping it from her, but he seemed to be keeping it from everyone except Molly.  If Luccio is popping in and out, he might have just had it covered so that she wouldn't spot it if she came in while he was in the basement with the hatch door open. 

Of course, that might intrigue her more than anything, and intriguing the captain of the wardens about what you're up to in your secret sub-basement lair doesn't sound like a good idea.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2015, 12:20:35 AM »
Or he had it covered because of his relationship with Luccio.  I'm not sure why he'd be keeping it from her, but he seemed to be keeping it from everyone except Molly.  If Luccio is popping in and out, he might have just had it covered so that she wouldn't spot it if she came in while he was in the basement with the hatch door open. 

Of course, that might intrigue her more than anything, and intriguing the captain of the wardens about what you're up to in your secret sub-basement lair doesn't sound like a good idea.
He might have been keeping it from everyone but Molly because everyone but Molly does not really understand magic and it's a very complicated magical structure.

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2015, 09:31:27 PM »

If that was the goal, I suspect Bob would be hidden as well.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2015, 10:20:04 PM »
If that was the goal, I suspect Bob would be hidden as well.
I'm not sure is Bob is identifiable on sight.  I know the show popularized the idea that he had carvings on his skull, but I'm not sure that he does.  he might just look like a skull, which might be a macabre bookend, but one not completely our is place with a wizard.  and she was pretty convinced he was dead.

that being said, I'm not sure covering LC to keep it from Luccio is a good excuse, but I try to be objective.