Author Topic: Mab preventing use of Little Chicago  (Read 32072 times)

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mab preventing use of Little Chicago
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »
We don't know why she would not want him to use it.  Maybe it was to force him to use Demonreach.  Maybe she was worried about the backlash if it succeeded and Shagnasty tried eating his astral form.  Maybe it was something else altogether.

All we know is that the circumstances are similar to those when she'd taken his memories previously, and there's no obvious reason for Harry not to use it.
Yeah, the "Mab knows everything" thing is obnoxious.  I think it has to be a more direct reason that we're just not seeing, if she did in fact do it.  When she took his memory of fire magic before, it was to protect him from being tracked by it.  there's got to be something just as simple. I just can't think of what it could be.

Harry uses LC to find Thomas, Shagnasty kills them both leaving Morgan exposed and vulnerable, so he dies too without the traitor being exposed. Possibly Molly dies trying to protect Morgan.

Long term, Mab loses her would-be Knight, her would-be WL, the Black Circle/Council/whatever becomes more powerful.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 05:24:49 PM »
Harry uses LC to find Thomas

But we already know that this is not true.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2015, 05:36:54 PM »
But we already know that this is not true.

Remember the other "surpression" (the headache with Mouse).  Harry seems to think that Mouse would have been able to find Thomas.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »
Remember the other "surpression" (the headache with Mouse).  Harry seems to think that Mouse would have been able to find Thomas.

We know from Proven Guilty that using LC does NOT make a tracking spell work.  It simply makes a workable tracking spell more useful (remember Harry needed more than Baby Hair?).  And there is no proof that a headache makes a suppression by Mab or that it made him forget Mouse.  So, my assertion is that making Harry not use LC was like a null...it made him use something that would not work.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »
We know from Proven Guilty that using LC does NOT make a tracking spell work.  It simply makes a workable tracking spell more useful (remember Harry needed more than Baby Hair?).  And there is no proof that a headache makes a suppression by Mab or that it made him forget Mouse.  So, my assertion is that making Harry not use LC was like a null...it made him use something that would not work.

You're missing the point. We have to assume that Harry would have used LC because he has done it before and he is satisfied enough with how well it works that he keeps going back to it. Would have, that is, if he had remembered to do so.

It's not for us to judge how effective LC is. If Harry thought it was a waste of time he would have dismantled it long time ago. Obviously he thinks it's worthwhile to keep and to use.

And it is fairly clear that someone didn't want Harry to use Mouse either. Tie those two together, along with, admittedly circumstantial evidence, and it clearly points to someone tampering with Harry in some way.

We Know that Mab has the power and the opportunity to do so. But, if it wasn't Mab we'd have to ask who else coudl it have been?

If it was just LC, or Just Mouse alone it wouldn't be so significant.

If it was important enough in the Plot for Harry to have his memory if it tampered with about it, then it's no where near Null.

War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2015, 06:04:58 PM »
Remember the other "suppression" (the headache with Mouse).  Harry seems to think that Mouse would have been able to find Thomas.
That only works if the headache was actually distracting him from thoughts of using LC, which I don't necessarily buy.  For one thing, people are eager to attribute almost every single headache Harry has to Mab now.

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »
You're missing the point. We have to assume that Harry would have used LC because he has done it before and he is satisfied enough with how well it works that he keeps going back to it. Would have, that is, if he had remembered to do so.

No Tami you are missing the point.  Take the battery out of your car.  Now go in and start it.  Waste of time.  That is LC without a workable tracking spell.  A car that won't start.

Harry knows for a fact from Proven Guilty that LC does NOTHING unless you get a tracking spell working.  So WHY would Harry use something he knows for a fact will do nothing?  It would be like you sitting there for hours trying to start your car staring at the battery on the ground next to your car.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2015, 06:31:04 PM »
We Know that Mab has the power and the opportunity to do so. But, if it wasn't Mab we'd have to ask who else coudl it have been?
If it was just LC, or Just Mouse alone it wouldn't be so significant.
If it was important enough in the Plot for Harry to have his memory if it tampered with about it, then it's no where near Null.

I'm gonna go with Tami on this. 
LC is significant, it had a tarp over it which was quite similar to the tarp over Harry's thoughts about fire in small favor.
SOI would exist so she would have the opportunity to act as proxy for Mab.
Now, before I go any further I need to get familiar with debates at issue and probably reread books in question.

Significant questions though:
Did Harry ever use LC after White Knight?
Did Cowl's attack upon Harry corrupt LC in some capacity?
Was Shagnasty abduction of Thomas a prod for Harry to use LC?
Did the Outsider Faction want Harry to use LC?
Could Harry's use of a corrupted LC hurt/corrupt SOI?
Could Cowl have linked to LC via some thamaturgical spell?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:40:30 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2015, 06:49:30 PM »
raidem,

Ask yourself one other question before you proceed.

In PG, Harry tried to use LC to track Molly and could not....UNTIL he got Charity's blood at which point a tracking spell can work.  So Harry knows that unless a tracking spell can work, that LC will do nothing.  So, why does LC matter since it won't do anything?

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2015, 07:05:42 PM »
Namkcas, why do you think a tracking spell wouldn't work? I mean, sure, the amulet wasn't with Thomas, but Harry could have tried to use his blood to find his family. If he was desperate, he would have tried it. Or even considered it before dismissing it.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2015, 07:07:40 PM »

Harry DID try many kinds of tracking spells to no avail.  That is why.  And he already knows LC does not make Tracking spells work.  He found that out in PG.  So, LC has no value in this task.

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2015, 07:22:58 PM »
LC doesn't make tracking spells work, but it does give Harry a wider area to use. Focusing the spell on Harry is a narrow area. Focusing it on Little Chicago and, as a result, most of the Loop and lake shore, casts a wider net.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2015, 07:30:27 PM »
I'm still confused as to what all the argument is about and until I read Turn Coat and get my facts straight I probably won't be a good participant for the discussion.  But, I'll keep this argument in mind when I get there.  On GP at moment....

It may be important to note, that the last big on screen use of LC was when Mister played with it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:06:55 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »
LC doesn't make tracking spells work, but it does give Harry a wider area to use. Focusing the spell on Harry is a narrow area. Focusing it on Little Chicago and, as a result, most of the Loop and lake shore, casts a wider net.

In PG, tracking spells failed with or without LC until the right materials were used.  No extended range has been shown that I know of.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2015, 07:52:16 PM »
Good and pretty accurate description of Little Chicago and what it can do, which is more than a simple tracking spell can do.
War Cry -