Author Topic: Mab preventing use of Little Chicago  (Read 31529 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Mab preventing use of Little Chicago
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 07:06:49 PM »
We've seen Harry use locator spells before.  and it requires triangulation.  he ends up running around rechecking his results.  but little Chicago tells your where someone or something is exactly.  that's how they located Pell's theater as the nearest point to Molly's location.  he didn't project himself astrally to do that.

my issue with him not using little Chicago is that it's obviously the most efficient tool to find him if Thomas is being held in Chicago.  not using it at all, or even mentioning considering it or specifying why he's not, is extremely odd. 

I get that using little Chicago takes effort.  but was finding Thomas not worth the effort when other things failed?  when he started growing desperate from lack of options?

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »
We've seen Harry use locator spells before.  and it requires triangulation.  he ends up running around rechecking his results.  but little Chicago tells your where someone or something is exactly.  that's how they located Pell's theater as the nearest point to Molly's location.  he didn't project himself astrally to do that.

my issue with him not using little Chicago is that it's obviously the most efficient tool to find him if Thomas is being held in Chicago.  not using it at all, or even mentioning considering it or specifying why he's not, is extremely odd. 

I get that using little Chicago takes effort.  but was finding Thomas not worth the effort when other things failed?  when he started growing desperate from lack of options?

I agree with this. We don't know for sure what would have happened if Harry had tracked down Thomas earlier, but best case scenario would have been that Harry rescues Thomas before Shagnasty really starts torturing him.

Uriel had said to Harry that it wasn't his fault Thomas got tortured.....perhaps it's fair to say that it was Mab's fault.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 07:35:27 PM »
I agree with the Triangulation, but I think the thing I am thinking through is that I don't know if LC makes the Locator Spells more powerful...reaching further/overcoming more issues.  I thought that once he found that he could not make any Locator Spell work that it made LC not valuable to the operation.  It takes a long time to use LC and has lots of other issues as well.  If he could get a Locator Spell up, then I would have expected him to use LC.  But given his inability to get one going - and he tried several different ways, that it meant he could not use Locator Spells in any way to locate Thomas.  As I recall the other LC uses, he connected first with a standard locator and then used LC as an way of adding value to the tracking not a way to start the tracking.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 10:53:35 PM »
I agree with the Triangulation, but I think the thing I am thinking through is that I don't know if LC makes the Locator Spells more powerful...reaching further/overcoming more issues.  I thought that once he found that he could not make any Locator Spell work that it made LC not valuable to the operation.  It takes a long time to use LC and has lots of other issues as well.  If he could get a Locator Spell up, then I would have expected him to use LC.  But given his inability to get one going - and he tried several different ways, that it meant he could not use Locator Spells in any way to locate Thomas.  As I recall the other LC uses, he connected first with a standard locator and then used LC as an way of adding value to the tracking not a way to start the tracking.
In Proven Guilty he sits down to use Little Chicago to find Molly while running out of time, and did so without much preparation time or precursor location spells.

The fact that he had time to do numerous other searches that week failed indicates he had time to try little Chicago but didn't.  to me, that's suspicious.  if you don't see his lack of mentioning his number one location tool and magical construct as suspicious, there's nothing more I can do.

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 11:08:33 PM »
I disagree with that entirely.  He went and got Charity'sblood and started a tracking spell.  Then he used LC to move around.  Without the tracking spell, LC would not have worked.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 11:25:43 PM »
I disagree with that entirely.  He went and got Charity'sblood and started a tracking spell.  Then he used LC to move around.  Without the tracking spell, LC would not have worked.

He very clearly does not cast a tracking spell before using little Chicago.

Then I pinked my fingertip with my ritual knife, touched the lock of baby hair to it, and laid it down within Little Chicago. I used a second drop of blood and an effort of will to touch the circle on the tabletop, closing it up and beginning the spell. I closed my eyes, focusing, murmuring a stream of faux Latin as I reached out to the model and brought it to life. 

And this is from when it failed.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 01:25:21 AM »
Are we absolutely sure about that? We have zero information about who/what it was that put Shagnasty on to Morgan in the first place.

Considering that even a minor demon like the one in SF can rematerialise after destruction on Earth, I would not be surprised to find that the skinwalker in TC was actually the one Morgan nuked in the 1950s.

We also, IIRC, have a WoJ that the skinwalker has limited intellectus in the specific field of how to hurt people, which might be enough to explain it being on Morgan's trail without any other source of information being necessary.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:27:30 AM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 04:15:27 AM »
Failed trying a tracking spell at which point LC is useless....which is my entire point.  If you can't bring up a tracking spell, there is no point in using LC.  Harry already knows this at the time of TC.  So, the moment he can't track Thomas...LC becomes moot. 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 04:45:36 AM »
Failed trying a tracking spell at which point LC is useless....which is my entire point.  If you can't bring up a tracking spell, there is no point in using LC.  Harry already knows this at the time of TC.  So, the moment he can't track Thomas...LC becomes moot.
So to clarify, we have textual evidence that he has started using Little Chicago for tracking spells rather than his old method, but you think he reverted to the old method in this instance.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 01:55:35 AM »
Random WAG:  If LC does include Demonreach, then maybe we have a new candidate for who fixed LC.    ;D
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2015, 02:13:44 AM »
Griffyn,

I was saying that LC does not make a tracking spell work if it won't without LC.  What LC a does is allow more information to be gathered more easily from a tracking spell that would work.  So Harry can find out if a tracking spell would work without LC.  Since Harry could not track Thomas there seems to be no value in using LC in TC.  That is a reasonable explanation for why Harry does not use LC in the novel. 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 02:41:46 AM »
Griffyn,

I was saying that LC does not make a tracking spell work if it won't without LC.  What LC a does is allow more information to be gathered more easily from a tracking spell that would work.  So Harry can find out if a tracking spell would work without LC.  Since Harry could not track Thomas there seems to be no value in using LC in TC.  That is a reasonable explanation for why Harry does not use LC in the novel.
If that's enough for you, that's fine. 

You're ignoring the fact that after creating little Chicago, he doesn't do a tracking spell first to then do it again with little Chicago.  he just does it with little Chicago.

Random WAG:  If LC does include Demonreach, then maybe we have a new candidate for who fixed LC.    ;D
I can't wait for DR to explain it.  And then Bob or SoI will have to dumb it down.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 02:59:46 AM »
What's to say that Mab didn't nudge shagnasty after Morgan? Its a variable outcome to know if Thomas would be kidnapped, but just brining shaggy into play increases the odds, especially when Mab knows about Thomas and that is a hot button when it comes to Harry.
WoJ says that the one who sent Shagnasty had been mentioned but not seen as of Turn Coat.

Will we run into whoever hired the skinwalker?
They have been mentioned, but they’ve not yet been onscreen.

... Could Little Chicago, and Harry's lab, still be in the basement of the BFS building?

And does Marcone have someone on staff to use it?

It had a building full of burning objects fall on it, it's gone.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2015, 03:13:09 AM »
Especially since they put another building on top of it.  Generally you don't build on top of piles of burnt rubble, you clear the rubble first.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2015, 04:54:56 AM »
WoJ is that the fire was hot enough Little Chicago was slag.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.