Author Topic: Mab preventing use of Little Chicago  (Read 31518 times)

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mab preventing use of Little Chicago
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 05:22:25 AM »
Given the Shagnasty's background, I think that trying the phone made sense.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 07:03:15 AM »
My own prejudices are against Mab being behind it because I don't like Mab being behind everything, and "The same words were used to describe this" ignores the very real issue that it's secretly the same person writing everything in the series, so he's going to use the same phrasing more than once.  Like the "Ice pick headache" thing.

That said, didn't Harry need a chunk of the car to track down people using LC before?  And he lacked that thaumaturgical connection with Thomas, yes?

He had his own blood, and he had the twin of Thomas's amulet.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 07:11:16 AM »
He had his own blood, and he had the twin of Thomas's amulet.
Has he used either of those to track down Thomas?  He used Elaine's amulet as I recall, but not Thomas's.  And likewise, I don't recall him tracking down Thomas via blood, and siblings aren't necessarily going to work the same as mother/daughter.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 07:30:57 AM »
He tries to use his blood in TC when looking for Thomas I'm pretty sure, though Bob notes that the connection might not be strong enough to work.

I don't know if Harry ever tried using his amulet, but in Backup Thomas uses his to locate Harry.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:49 AM »
Has he used either of those to track down Thomas? 

Yes, he used his amulet to find Thomas in White Night after Elaine showed Harry the picture of Thomas walking away with Olivia.  Harry even comments that Elaine didn't ask how he was using his amulet to find Thomas.

I know Harry tried to use his blood to track Thomas, but I don't see why he wouldn't have tried to use his amulet first.  It would appear to be the simpler method to attempt.

As a side note, I wonder if Elaine eventually put all the facts together.  Harry using his amulet to find Thomas and the way they behaved and argued in front of her should have been powerful clues if she thought about it later. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline el_nino

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 08:45:11 AM »
It could also be that Mab wanted to use the kidnapping to groom Thomas for winter knight. Wouldn't be far fetched given she basically told harry if something happened to him she'd get Thomas to be knight.
Also I think Mab(or Lea, let's face it she had easy access to Harry's place) prevented use of LC to protect harry. Whatever cowl did to assault harry, I'm sure shagnasty can do worse.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
Reminder, in TC Thomas didn't have his amulet  since Shaggnasty had taken it from him and used it to prove to Harry and Lara that he really did have Thomas captured.

The blood thing might have worked, though there may have been other ways to do it.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 02:10:50 PM »
... Could Little Chicago, and Harry's lab, still be in the basement of the BFS building?

And does Marcone have someone on staff to use it?
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »
I'd like to see some Headquarters be that BFS, Mab's or Vadderung's WarRoom have Little Chicago as a centerpiece.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 04:17:49 PM »
Yes, he used his amulet to find Thomas in White Night after Elaine showed Harry the picture of Thomas walking away with Olivia.  Harry even comments that Elaine didn't ask how he was using his amulet to find Thomas.
Ah, ok.  For some reason I thought he used the amulet to find Elaine earlier, and got confused.

Of course, that also means that Harry didn't need LC to find Thomas via the Amulet in the first place.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »
Ah, ok.  For some reason I thought he used the amulet to find Elaine earlier, and got confused.

Of course, that also means that Harry didn't need LC to find Thomas via the Amulet in the first place.

As I said, Harry did need LC in TC. Thomas wasn't wearing his amulet because Shaggy took it from him.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 04:48:07 PM »
But without the amulet or some sort of connection, Harry couldn't use LC.  He'd otherwise basically have to slightly more quickly search everywhere manually.

Offline Iam that kemmler

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
re: Curtain of white agony

I'm certain that curtain was because Mab had just frozen some of the water in Harry's eyes.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »
But without the amulet or some sort of connection, Harry couldn't use LC.  He'd otherwise basically have to slightly more quickly search everywhere manually.

He could use his blood, it might have been enough.
War Cry -

Offline namkcas

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
As I said, Harry did need LC in TC.

I am not sure I see why is that is true.  LC takes a lot of work and if Thomas is not in Chicago then would have provided no value.  So, I am confused why Harry needed LC.  I took the whole event to be based around the fact that he could not track Thomas with his blood.  It is not clear to me that using LC makes the spell more capable beyond providing more information and being able to track things as a spirit of sorts.  But if Thomas is in say Naperville or Joliet, then there is no value to it.