Author Topic: Foxed's Crazy Theory Emporium  (Read 18063 times)

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Foxed's Crazy Theory Emporium
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 09:19:52 PM »
Jotunheim is Arctis Tor

ABSTRACT
TL;DR

The divide between the Faerie Courts coincided with the Fae assuming the defense of the Outer Gates, and also with the decline of paganism in Scandinavia. Previously, the Jotun had guarded the Outer Gates, and the Aesir had protected Midgard from the Jotun. However, with the decline of pagan worship, Odin, the Normans' chief god struck a deal with the Fairy Queens1, the Celts' chief goddesses, to ensure the defense of Reality.

The Creation of the Fairy Court

Hecate

Per Bob, Hecate was originally a Hag who achieved divinity through a bloody ascension rite.2 Mythologically, she's one of those weird pre-Olympian mystery goddesses infesting Greco-Roman paganism. The tri-part goddess statues in Hades' Vault3 lead us to conclude that the three Fairy Queen mantles are, together, Hecate in her triple goddess form (Mother, Maiden, Crone). Given the confusion in the real world over whether Hecate is the Crone or the trinity, I'd say it's fair to assume that she is both. At some point after her ascension, she spun off her power into the three mantles, and kept the Crone mantle for herself.

It is currently unknown to whom Hecate the Crone gave the other two mantles to, and I know I've shed pixels trying to pick Olympian divinities who could take the mantles. This makes no sense, however, as the Olympians have their own divinity, and would not need to accept more power from Hecate the Crone. Given the connection apparent between Hecate and the Fae, we must look elsewhere in Europe.

The Tuatha De Danann

The Tuatha De Danann are the predecessors to the Fairy Court. The Leanansidhe characterizes them thus when describing their enemy, the Fomor.4 Mythologically, they are the Celtic pantheon, but Christianity sapped their power, spinning them into heroes with supernatural powers instead of gods. I speculate that the Crone Hecate found her Mother and Maiden within this pantheon of not-quite divine figures. By binding the Mother, Maiden, Crone to the existing Tuatha De Danann, the Fairy Court arose from the Mantle-wearers and their followers.

The Defense of the Outer Gates

There exists a feud in mythology every bit as petty and deep as the feud between Winter and Summer. I am speaking of course, of the feud between the Aesir and the Jotun. I predict that, before the Fairy Court split, the Jotuns guarded reality from the Outsiders. There are easy parallels to make between the Frost Giants and the Winter Court, but two stood out to me:

1. Both have wells. Underneath the World Tree, according to the Eddas, on the path to Jotunheim, sits the Well of Mimir. It seems likely to me that this corresponds to the Winter Wellspring.

2. Jotunheim, of course, was on the edges of Ginnungagap, the primordial void from which reality was made. Winter, of course, finds itself on the edge of Reality at the Outer Gates.

It seems to me that the case can be made that Arctis Tor is built atop old Jotunheim, and that the Outer Gates were at one point defended by the Jotun. This would slot the Aesir into Summer's role, protecting Reality from the Jotun.

1066 - The Battle of Hastings

1066 is where this all comes together. The Norse Normans invade Celtic England even as Norse paganism is on the decline, and Christianity on the rise, in Scandinavia. The decline of paganism is a problem for the Aesir, as they aren't worshiped as much as in the past, and are losing power. This is not a problem for the Jotun, as they aren't worshiped as such in the first place. The invasion of England is a problem for the Fairy Court, as the people who tell their stories are getting slaughtered.

So Odin, chief god of the Normans, and the Fairy Queens, representatives of the English, meet to discuss terms. This is a blending of the various sources for British fantasy, the Norse, Celtic, and Greco-Roman religions. The end result is that the Jotun are banished (to team up with the Fomor), the Normans take England, and the Fairy Court splits to assume the defense of the Outer Gates. Hecate the Crone assumes the Mother Winter role. And she loses her walking stick.

Mab and Titania

My gut says that Mab was the Maiden at the time of the split. Then, during the split, the Crone Hecate became Mother Winter, The Maiden Mab promoted herself to Winter Queen, and the Mother became Summer Queen. For symmetry, Mab's twin sister, Titania, became the Summer Lady (where Mab started). When Mother Summer abdicated (I'm still going to guess this was Baba Yaga), the Summer Queen became Mother Summer, and Titania became Summer Queen.

-----
1. To distinguish the pre-division Court from the Summer and Winter courts, I will use Fairy Mother, Queen, Lady, Knight, and Court to describe the pre-division Court.

2. Welcome to the Jungle.

3. Skin Game.

4. Ghost Story.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:42:20 PM by Foxed »
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 09:35:31 PM »
Jim Butcher is hewing close to the Monomyth structure

I know, people around these parts are leery of Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey thesis, but it fits the Dresden series pretty well, so we'd be overlooking something of importance by not examining where Harry is on Campbell's arc (and as evidence of its importance, I'm going to point out moments where TDF fits Campbell extraordinarily well) and where he has left to go.

I'm not grafting something crazy onto the Dresden mythos. I'd argue that Jim's deliberately following Campbell.

Without further ado!

To wit, the journey for the Hero is that he is called from Home to Adventure, masters the realm of Adventure, and returns home to master both realms. That's it. Campbell also calls it the monomyth, and his thesis is that it is the rough outline of every story ever told.

Chicago - The first three novels establish the home realm, Chicago.
1. The Call to Adventure - The Hero is offered the opportunity to leave home and adventure.
Summer Knight - Mab first offers Harry the mantle of the Winter Knight.

2. Refusal of the Call - The Hero does not accept the adventure at first.
Summer Knight, Dead Beat, Small Favor
Three times Harry refuses to take up the mantle.

3. Supernatural Aid - Generally, the Hero is helped at home before beginning his adventure.
Harry's got alot of aid from Winter, whether from his fairy godmother or from the Winter Queen herself.

4. Crossing the Threshold - Finally, the Hero goes on to the adventure realm, generally defeating a guardian standing between home and adventure.
Changes - Harry takes up the mantle to defend his family from the Red Court.

Threshold Guardian: The Lords of Outer Night

Winter Wonderland - The Realm of Adventure

5. The Belly of the Whale - Better classified, in my mind, as the crucible, the Hero becomes the Hero after being swallowed up by circumstance.
The Changes Trilogy
Harry overcomes threats to his family and friends, death itself, and is reforged by Mab in Cold Days into her Knight.

6. The Road of Trials - The Hero faces several trials (three's typically a good number!).
 Skin Game, Peace Talks, Mirror Mirror
Harry overcomes trials of the body and family in Skin Game, and definitely a trial of identity in Mirror Mirror. From Skin Game on, we're speculating.

7. The Meeting with the Goddess - Though oddly feminized by Campbell, this isn't necessarily an actual woman. Rather, it's a spiritual experience.
Mirror Mirror - My guess would be that Molly rescues her Knight from the mirror universe. Or some combination of Molly (maiden), Susan (mother), and Murph (NOT crone).

8. The Temptress - Again oddly gendered by Campbell, the temptation is something that might make the Hero step aside from his quest.
Mirror Mirror is totally going to end with Harry tempted to set right what once went wrong, and choose between the timeline that leads to him or a timeline where he's happy with Susan and Maggie.

9. Atonement with the Father - The Hero faces theheart of the quest, the struggle, generally with his identity and his father.
Book Twenty - Not necessarily a literal father. My guess is Old Nick is going to be the father figure, which means this will occur in the next Denarian book.

10. Apotheosis - And the Hero learns something from it.
Book Twenty - Goes hand-in-hand with the atonement.

11. The Ultimate Boon - The MacGuffin that is the goal of his quest.
Book Twenty - Come on, the actual, literal, Holy Grail? Too easy.

12. Refusal of the Return - Much like the Hero didn't want to go to adventure, now he doesn't want to go home.
Book Twenty One or Trilogy 1 - Jim said a couple books got added to the twenty original casefiles. Don't know if that pushes the Denarian book to the end or not, but if there are post-Denarian casefiles, it'll stretch the return of the journey across more books, give it room to breathe. Obviously this would be Harry choosing Winter over Chicago.

13. Magic Flight - The Hero is pursued homeward because of his boon.
Trilogy 1

14. Rescue from Without - The cavalry arrives.
Trilogy 1

15. Return Threshold - The Hero passes from Adventure to Home.
Trilogy 2 - Harry and his lady love or daughter pull a Tam Lin on Mab. She is... not pleased.

Threshold Guardian: Mab

Master of Two Worlds

16. Master of Two Worlds: Trilogy 3
Harry has to save the world in a way that reflects both his home and what he learned on his adventure.

17. Freedom to Live: Trilogy 3
Either for Harry, or at least for humanity.
My Theory Emporium

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »
Nemesis, Cowl, and the Circle

There is no Black Council. It's a hypothetical construct created by Harry to explain the connections he saw between his casefiles. Nemesis is what Harry calls the Black Council. Harry wasn't cleared to know about Nemesis when he joined Ebenezar's Grey Council, so Ebenezar utilized Harry's Black Council to explain it to Harry without revealing Nemesis to him.

There is a Circle, even if it is only a circle of Cowl's minions. But I posit that the Circle is an organization of self-aware Nemesis agents.

Operation Starborn was a Circle plot. We have Lord Raith involved in that operation, who is clearly connected to the Outsiders. We can also speculate that Arianna Ortega is part of Operation Starborn, given her presence at the dinner party. Maggie tried to recruit her father, and failed. She may have recruited another White Council wizard. (I suspect Cristos!)

Maggie, realizing that Nemesis was behind the Operation, fled the Circle and cut a deal with the Leanansidhe, an agent of the Grey Council.

What?

The Grey Council is the group Neuro calls Team UMO. We know that Vaderrung is an ally of the only known Grey Council agent, Ebenezar (unless I've misinterpreted the climactic battle at Chichen Itza in Changes), so I'll default to the canonical "Grey Council" over UMO. The Leanansidhe works for Mab. Ebenezar works with Vaderrung.

Cowl, I suspect, is Cristos. Arianna is Kumori.

Old Nick's contingent within the Knights of the Coin are also opposed to the Outsiders, but not members of the Grey Council.

It's pretty clear by now that the Outsiders are the big villain of the series, from Harry's origin story with He Who Walks Behind to the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy. Nemesis as the Black Council is the glue that holds the Outsiders in the main antagonist plot.

1. The Shadowman, given the Heart Asplode spell from a Nemesis agent. This spell is similar to the Familicide spell in Changes.
2. The Hexenwolves, given belts by a Nemesis agent.
3. Cowl and Kumori, Nemesis agents, appear onstage.
4. Aurora, either corrupted by Nemesis or driven insane by knowledge of Nemesis.
5. Nicodemus actively working against Nemesis.
6. Lord Raith.
7. Cowl and Kumori.
8. Maeve, corrupted by the Leanansidhe, manipulating Eldest Fetch, Lily, and Harry.
9. Lord Raith versus Cowl.
10. Nicodemus again with a diabolical plan to stop Nemesis.
11. Peabody, a Nemesis agent.
12. The Lords of Outer Night, agitated by Arianna Ortega, a Nemesis agent among their ranks.
13. The Fomor, who probably worship the Outsiders (to go along with the Lovecraft homages) appear onstage.
14. Maeve.
15. Nic. He is just the worst.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:47:55 PM by Foxed »
My Theory Emporium

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 09:37:33 PM »
Mirror Mirror is the time travel book

We know that in Mirror Mirror, an evil Harry Dresden has been pulling alternate universe versions of himself into his universe, killing them, and leaving them behind as corpses to stay ahead of his enemies. Mirror Mirror is about him pulling the wrong Harry, Our Harry, through. For convenience sake, I will refer to DF-Harry (The Dresden Files Harry, our Harry) and MM-Harry (the (presumably self-aware and goateed) evil Harry seen in Mirror Mirror).

My theory is that the MM-verse is how Grave Peril would have ended without extra-temporal influence. The climax of Mirror Mirror will feature Harry breaking the law against time travel to ensure that Grave Peril will turn out the way it did in the DF-verse. He will then learn things about himself and, per Jim, Marcone (Word is MM-Marcone is the character to watch).

Our Harry may take the slow path back to the present, explaining much of Proven Guilty in the process. Or, as I suggest elsewhere, it's mental time travel and Harry becomes unstuck in time for the era between Grave Peril and Mirror Mirror, finally closing the book on time travel by the end.

That is not to say there aren't an infinite amount of universes and an infinite amount of Harries out there. It's just that there are a limited number of casefiles left, and time travel is the only Wizardly Sin not yet given a casefile of its very own. (Storm Front covered killing magic, Fool Moon's MacFinn covers baleful polymorph, Dead Beat covers necromancy[/i], Proven Guilty covers mental tampering, Turn Coat covers mental enthrallment, and Cold Days covers Outside knowledge). Mirror Mirror, already covering alternate universes, and explicitly alternate timelines, could very easily become the time travel book.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 05:06:29 PM by Foxed »
My Theory Emporium

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:19:17 PM »
I certainly think you have some excellent points there. Jim has some qualifications to do with creative writing and English literature I believe. I certainly like the idea of the road of trials. It helps explain the very Harry-centric, minimized supporting cast for the last few books. I personally would love to see the old crowd get some proper screen time in the next book. I think you left out Ghost Story, which I felt was a big old cluebat of a book. The entire book for me was laying out the groundwork of stuff that Harry will have to deal with later on, may or may not involve Mirror Mirror. I think though, that the last bit of the casefiles will end differently to what you've outlined. Jim may still use the Hero's Journey template, but I think that if you have a "big apocalyptic trilogy" coming, the series will build, not resolve. I think the last couple of books are more likely to build towards a major event that will set the stage for the trilogy. Just my two cents.

Also, would love to hear your theory on Jotunheim being Arctis Tor, though I personally think Jotunheim is more than a fortress, which is all Arctis Tor is. Jotunheim is an entire mountainous realm of winter and fjords. Any theories on Muspelheim? I do wonder if Harry might discover something in a realm of fire and darkness, which in some interpretations recently has been a substitute for Chaos.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:56:40 PM »
Anyone remember or have a link to the post analysing the DF novel by novel as following the pattern of Tarot cards ? That seems an interesting comparison to this.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 02:51:22 AM »
Anyone remember or have a link to the post analysing the DF novel by novel as following the pattern of Tarot cards ? That seems an interesting comparison to this.

Didn't Jim dismiss that one as coincidence? 
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 03:48:28 PM »
Didn't Jim dismiss that one as coincidence?

I don't recall seeing that, but could easily have missed it.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 06:46:55 PM »
Jim may still use the Hero's Journey template, but I think that if you have a "big apocalyptic trilogy" coming, the series will build, not resolve. I think the last couple of books are more likely to build towards a major event that will set the stage for the trilogy. Just my two cents.

I think that if Harry returns from Winter in the BAT, regardless of what else has been built towards, we have a pretty solid framework for his character arc. That's the key with the Hero's Journey-- it's a character arc, not necessarily a plot arc.

Also, would love to hear your theory on Jotunheim being Arctis Tor, though I personally think Jotunheim is more than a fortress, which is all Arctis Tor is. Jotunheim is an entire mountainous realm of winter and fjords.

Ah. Then for you, I mean all of Winter. I've also posted the theory above in its entirety.

Any theories on Muspelheim? I do wonder if Harry might discover something in a realm of fire and darkness, which in some interpretations recently has been a substitute for Chaos.

Outside.

Not sure if this is a compliment or not.
My Theory Emporium

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »
Mirror Mirror is the time travel book

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGkCI99u-h4

At the 9:46 mark.

Quote from:  WoJ
Is there going to be a book featuring dragons?
Yeah, but not that's going to happen until he gets around to breaking the Law about time-travel.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 07:52:56 PM »
Not sure if this is a compliment or not.

It was meant as a comparison of interesting similar scales of analysis; I am sorry if that sounded like it might be a negative comment.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 08:31:21 AM »
Ahh yes that is true. My mistake for misinterpreting the theory. Yes, as a character arc it still would work despite the plot. Thank you for the Jotunheim theory, I will get into that in a moment. As for Muspelheim...I too have wondered if it might be Outside. If it is, then Loki could be part Outsider demon, if not completely, especially as in some versions he was from Muspel, not Jotunheim. If Loki were from Muspelheim, and Odin met him, then Odin may have crossed Outside. I know the more accepted version is that Loki is merely a Jotun...but I feel that's a bit boring for Jim. Also if Muspelheim is Outside, then where is Surt? The EPIC guardian of Muspelheim who will burn all the Nine Realms in Ragnarok with his sword of flame. He is the Destroyer, similar to Kali or Shiva in Hinduism or Apophis/Apep in Egyptian Mythology. Not that I am saying Hinduism is mythology, for the record.

The divide between the Faerie Courts coincided with the Fae assuming the defense of the Outer Gates, and also with the decline of paganism in Scandinavia. Previously, the Jotun had guarded the Outer Gates, and the Aesir had protected Midgard from the Jotun. However, with the decline of pagan worship, Odin, the Normans' chief god struck a deal with the Fairy Queens1, the Celts' chief goddesses, to ensure the defense of Reality.

That all works quite well I think. Though this raises a few questions: why were the Aesir and Jotun's guarding all of reality? Did anyone guard it before them? If so, who? Was it the Greco-Roman Gods? The Hindu Gods? All the various Gods? My personal belief is that perhaps the Angels were the original guards, and that the various Gods and Goddesses of the many pantheons were either created by the angels OR were former angels OR were helping since the beginning too. The angels can no longer guard the gates as they had to fight an enormous civil war that they are sort of still fighting against Hell. I suspect all of the pantheons guarded the gates at one point...the way the WOJ is worded makes it sound like they have been fighting since the beginning, everyone else has left.

Per Bob, Hecate was originally a Hag who achieved divinity through a bloody ascension rite.2 Mythologically, she's one of those weird pre-Olympian mystery goddesses infesting Greco-Roman paganism. The tri-part goddess statues in Hades' Vault3 lead us to conclude that the three Fairy Queen mantles are, together, Hecate in her triple goddess form (Mother, Maiden, Crone). Given the confusion in the real world over whether Hecate is the Crone or the trinity, I'd say it's fair to assume that she is both. At some point after her ascension, she spun off her power into the three mantles, and kept the Crone mantle for herself.

It is currently unknown to whom Hecate the Crone gave the other two mantles to, and I know I've shed pixels trying to pick Olympian divinities who could take the mantles. This makes no sense, however, as the Olympians have their own divinity, and would not need to accept more power from Hecate the Crone. Given the connection apparent between Hecate and the Fae, we must look elsewhere in Europe.

I think your conclusion may be false with Hecate. Yes, the triple-goddess statue in Hades vault COULD be Hecate, but I don't think that's the whole tale. Harry identifies the statues as the Lady, the Queen and the Mother of Summer and Winter respectively. And he's met them! Now we know they have other names/identities. I think Hannah Ascher either identified them incorrectly OR she was only partially right. I think over recent WOJs and via lines in the books it's been made clear that gods are nowhere NEAR as powerful as the Mothers and Archangels. Therefore I just don't think Hecate can be Mother Winter. Not to spoil to much potentially, but I suggest anyone who wants to get a more precise version of what Hecate/the Fates/Norns/Queens/Triple Goddess might be should read Neil Gaimen's Sandman comics. I suspect Jim might have got some influence there. I think his Power scale might also be similar to, in relation to where gods, angels, archangels etc stand.

Also, why would suddenly Hecate, a pre-Olympian Greek Goddess (a Titan in some versions) go to the Faeries of Ireland and Britain? She hasn't been linked to them afaik outside of something like the Sandman. It seems really odd, the connection between the Fae and the Olympians in the Dresdenverse. I suspect we don't have the full puzzle.

they are the Celtic pantheon, but Christianity sapped their power, spinning them into heroes with supernatural powers instead of gods. I speculate that the Crone Hecate found her Mother and Maiden within this pantheon of not-quite divine figures. By binding the Mother, Maiden, Crone to the existing Tuatha De Danann, the Fairy Court arose from the Mantle-wearers and their followers.

I think you are definitely onto something here, it certainly fits your theory. However, we have no actual facts from Jim or the books that this might have or even could happen, so it's a wait-and-see scenario. Certainly a good reason why some old gods losing power might suddenly accept Power from Hecate. Though mind you, Hecate's power would be drained as well, she wasn't really being worshiped too heavily around that time. She might have kept getting more power, or found alternative sources to belief. I also find it interesting that Hades is still quite powerful, even without belief. That being said, Hades did say he no longer has the power to influence destiny or something to that effect.

All your stuff on Jotunheim and defending the Outer Gates works. Definitely some some interesting links between Winter and Jotunheim. The Aesir, while not being exactly happy go lucky guys, did live in a bright realm in the sky with elves next door and OLD PAGAN GODS (VANIR) on the other side. Very Summer-y. Somehow the Vanir angle seems to be important to me, though I haven't really got a good theory why...

1066 is where this all comes together. The Norse Normans invade Celtic England even as Norse paganism is on the decline, and Christianity on the rise, in Scandinavia. The decline of paganism is a problem for the Aesir, as they aren't worshiped as much as in the past, and are losing power. This is not a problem for the Jotun, as they aren't worshiped as such in the first place. The invasion of England is a problem for the Fairy Court, as the people who tell their stories are getting slaughtered.

So Odin, chief god of the Normans, and the Fairy Queens, representatives of the English, meet to discuss terms. This is a blending of the various sources for British fantasy, the Norse, Celtic, and Greco-Roman religions. The end result is that the Jotun are banished (to team up with the Fomor), the Normans take England, and the Fairy Court splits to assume the defense of the Outer Gates. Hecate the Crone assumes the Mother Winter role. And she loses her walking stick.

Mab and Titania

My gut says that Mab was the Maiden at the time of the split. Then, during the split, the Crone Hecate became Mother Winter, The Maiden Mab promoted herself to Winter Queen, and the Mother became Summer Queen. For symmetry, Mab's twin sister, Titania, became the Summer Lady (where Mab started). When Mother Summer abdicated (I'm still going to guess this was Baba Yaga), the Summer Queen became Mother Summer, and Titania became Summer Queen.

Well this all seems to work together. I think Odin was invading for a reason, attempting to force things with the Tuatha de Danaan. I think he lost and the terms were made to him, not the other way round. You forget that the Vikings led by Harald Hardrada lost to Harald Tostig. William's Normans beat him after that. MAYBE Odin was pulling the strings and won with two armies. That does seem to be his style. But that was the last Scandinavian invasion of England, so I think he lost something there. And Odin even says he isn't what he used to be. He's like a soldier who has gone into private security because he is out of the front lines of the war (reasonably common actually).

Now I don't get on board with Hecate becoming Mother Winter and all that. WOJ actually says the Mother Winter is Baba Yaga...I certainly don't think she lost her staff in 1066. I think that was later, to the White Council, after the original Merlin.
I also think no one has considered that the Mantles predate the Courts of Faerie. I think that they are REQUIRED for whichever pantheon is holding the Outer Gates, in order to keep the Outsiders Out. Seems like they are tied into every mythological pantheon, everyone has their oen names for them. Norse call them Norns, Greeks call them Fates (Moirai), Baba Yaga in Russian, Hecate pre-Greek etc. Probably Jim could link them everywhere if he chose too.

Wow, long post. Did not intend it to be this massive...woops! Sorry to rip on your arguments, I am mostly just stirring the pot and seeing what happens. I really did enjoy the theories though, they have been some of the most compelling I've seen here on the forums. :)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 03:41:49 PM »

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 03:54:26 PM »
I think your conclusion may be false with Hecate. Yes, the triple-goddess statue in Hades vault COULD be Hecate, but I don't think that's the whole tale. Harry identifies the statues as the Lady, the Queen and the Mother of Summer and Winter respectively. And he's met them! Now we know they have other names/identities. I think Hannah Ascher either identified them incorrectly OR she was only partially right.

Jim is too lazy to throw a completely off-base guess in as part of the background worldbuilding. There is definitely a reason the Queens are linked to Hecate. (One pre-SG seed growing in my brain was my belief that the Mothers were the Magna Mater, but SG makes it pretty clear to me that the twin trinities are Hecate).

Also, why would suddenly Hecate, a pre-Olympian Greek Goddess (a Titan in some versions) go to the Faeries of Ireland and Britain? She hasn't been linked to them afaik outside of something like the Sandman. It seems really odd, the connection between the Fae and the Olympians in the Dresdenverse. I suspect we don't have the full puzzle.

Well, the Romans brought Olympianism to the isles, was my guess.

Though mind you, Hecate's power would be drained as well, she wasn't really being worshiped too heavily around that time. She might have kept getting more power, or found alternative sources to belief. I also find it interesting that Hades is still quite powerful, even without belief. That being said, Hades did say he no longer has the power to influence destiny or something to that effect.

Serack has a wonderful grand unifying theory about mantles and power. The gist of what's relevant to this theory is that the more power one has, the more spiritual gravity one has, and the more the material world bends and breaks around you. The idea is that Hecate found herself with too much power, and spun it off into a trinity to have someone who can operate in the material world (the maiden), someone who can operate in the spiritual world (the crone), and someone who can straddle both worlds (the mother).

Now I don't get on board with Hecate becoming Mother Winter and all that. WOJ actually says the Mother Winter is Baba Yaga...

Citation, please? I'm honestly curious, because it makes more sense that Baba Yaga is a name for Mother Winter and yet I'm straining trying to peg the original beings behind the retired Mother Summer and the current Mother Summer.

I also think no one has considered that the Mantles predate the Courts of Faerie. I think that they are REQUIRED for whichever pantheon is holding the Outer Gates, in order to keep the Outsiders Out. Seems like they are tied into every mythological pantheon, everyone has their oen names for them. Norse call them Norns, Greeks call them Fates (Moirai), Baba Yaga in Russian, Hecate pre-Greek etc. Probably Jim could link them everywhere if he chose too.

Sounds like you're on my crazier Magna Mater theory. Which... no... could it be that Hecate is just another name, another aspect, and further down the rabbit hole lies the Mother Goddess Herself (whom Joseph Campbell cheekily calls Our Lady of Mammoths)?

Wow, long post. Did not intend it to be this massive...woops! Sorry to rip on your arguments, I am mostly just stirring the pot and seeing what happens. I really did enjoy the theories though, they have been some of the most compelling I've seen here on the forums. :)

Oh, no worries here. Peer review helps develop my theories into something truly crazy.
My Theory Emporium