Author Topic: FATE Core and Dresden  (Read 2761 times)

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
FATE Core and Dresden
« on: November 26, 2014, 01:37:04 PM »
With FAE Dresden in the works has anyone here implemented Fate core into your Dresden games? I know there is a fan work out there. Has anyone used the fan conversion?

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: FATE Core and Dresden
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »
We did a one-shot with four premade characters. The characters were 14-year old students on a fieldtrip to the city that our main campaign was in. So we got to see what happened during one event from the view of people that had no idea the supernatural existed.  So to the non-initiated it was a strange occurence with wolves running around on the streets and people ended up dead from their attacks and the city getting swept up in strange thick fog that vanished as mysteriously as it came, and a terrorist attack that took out a large part of a residential building.

Those premade characters later ended up in the campaign as NPC's when they had become a few years older and gained power.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
I put together the fan version, called Dresden Core.  We've used it for our games for a while now.  I've made some tweaks and changes over time.

I've gotten some feedback on the documents, so I know other people are at least reading it, if not also using it.  Do you have any specific questions about it?

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:35:39 PM »
I put together the fan version, called Dresden Core.  We've used it for our games for a while now.  I've made some tweaks and changes over time.

I've gotten some feedback on the documents, so I know other people are at least reading it, if not also using it.  Do you have any specific questions about it?

No questions yet I do have that. Was just looking for others experience with it and how it intigrated in game play

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
I liked the consolidation of many skills.  The Pure Mortal in our party agreed with me.  Especially since the split of Conviction and Discipline only really mattered to Spellcasters, combining them into Will made folks happy.  But adding Spellcasting as a skill only for casters kept that skill cost to reduce their broad effectiveness.

Similarly, the thin line between DFRPG's Mental and Social Stress was made clearer by getting rid of Social.  Adding back a Magic stress track for casters maintains their limitations in a scene, but prevents their being Intimidated out of their spell power (which never made sense to me).

Stunts were similarly consolidated.  Most of the other Powers were essentially unchanged.

The wizard in the party is still plenty powerful, but I think the others are a bit closer in ability because of the consolidation.

Offline McNulty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
I put together the fan version, called Dresden Core. 

Linky pleasy?

Offline Dougansf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 09:36:04 PM »
Linky pleasy?

Sure!  I have the comments turned on, so if you want to leave any specific feedback you can do so there.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwouQYZcwYj2aDdORkgzeVNBa2s&usp=sharing

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:08:29 PM »
I've played FAE in the Dresdenverse.  It was street-level stuff, I played a frat boy who ran afoul of some low grade red court baddies.

There were squirt-guns full of holy water, garlic, crosses, a street-mage doing subtle stuff and a lot of low level politics in the spooky set messed up by saliva-addicted college students and a few other folks who got involved.

It was pretty fun as a one-shot, and less complex than trying to get a handle on a DFRPG character for a 4 hour gaming slot at a mini-con.