Author Topic: Switching between editor mode and creator mode  (Read 6996 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Switching between editor mode and creator mode
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »
uhm, I think your question was how you switch from editing to creating again.

Old advice: Butt in chair. and Johnny Quest's, "Never give up. Never surrender." If your butt is in the chair, things will shake out. Congrats by the way.

Well, re-read that. I wasn't being funny. Write... Write... write...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 09:09:52 PM »
To borrow a line - "Get black on white!"

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 06:04:09 PM »
uhm, I think your question was how you switch from editing to creating again.
Old advice: Butt in chair. and Johnny Quest's, "Never give up. Never surrender." If your butt is in the chair, things will shake out. Congrats by the way.
Well, re-read that. I wasn't being funny. Write... Write... write...

Necessary at some point, but not guaranteed to be sufficient.  Particularly if you're the sort of writer for whom forcing a project that's not working at the moment kills it irredeemably dead; in my case, that usually means I need to come at it from a different angle.

(I'm two weeks into this sort of thing happening with the current WiP, so forgive if I read grumpy.  I'm feeling much more Rusty Venture than Jonny Quest right now.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline slrogers

• Participant
  • Learning the art from those that love the dance...
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 12:03:48 AM »
I'm beginning to think that it take equal parts insanity and courage to keep writing even after you've learned just how far you are from where you'd like to be. I just finished reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss and like how he describes the difference between fearless and brave -- when you don't know any better it's easy to be fearless. To add to his distinctions, foolhardy might be when one flatly ignores or refuses to accept the possibility of danger, while courage widens your eyes and quickens your pulse with a full understanding of what you are getting into and why.

Earnest Hemming way referred to writing as bleeding, or emptying your heart onto paper. Putting that out for the world to see is scary. And after being burned with it's reality, it can be doubly scary. But I do like Galaxy Quest, and their motto, "Never give up, never serenader." Which I think might be equal parts foolhardy and brave.

I also love learning, and it's easiest to learn from seeing where you have been wrong. It's a bit painful knowing that the surest way to success is through the thorny field of failure. So onward I press, licking my wounds as best I can and trying to soak in as much as possible, believing (however foolhardy it may be) that someday I'll get the hang of this.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2015, 03:56:55 AM »
Galaxy Quest was all about having the courage to take a good hard look at the danger, realize mostly what it was all about and then willfully blind yourself to reality for a foolhardy charge!

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »
Galaxy Quest was all about having the courage to take a good hard look at the danger, realize mostly what it was all about and then willfully blind yourself to reality for a foolhardy charge!

Short version: "F*** it. I'm goin' in."
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.