Author Topic: Feedback Request - NaNoWriMo concepts  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
Feedback Request - NaNoWriMo concepts
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:01:56 AM »
I'm starting out a bit late this year (College+Work=No time!) and I could use some input.  I'm debating between two ideas so I'm putting it up for a vote.  If you don't mind skimming the blurbs below I'd appreciate it.  Which do you think sounds more interesting?

Exemplars:
Tales tell that long ago the world of Eramat was home to fantastic races and beasts, mages of great power and long life, druids that were spoke with all manner of creature and the land itself, and many other strange and wonderful things. Then there was a great cataclysm, the details lost to time, and suddenly all the magic and wonder bled away. All that remains is the ever expanding Aralellan Empire of men, led by their beloved Empress of Light. The Empress is the latest descendent Arella, seemingly the last great sorceress, who brought together her people in their time of need and led them on to greatness.
There is a secret hidden however in the depths of history and few are what they first seem. Strange things begin happening in Eramat as the wild magic of the world begins to reassert itself. The Exemplars are being born, those who embody the great races of old, and they will have to learn just what happened to their predecessors centuries ago if they are to survive.

Seven Deadly Pirates:
Captain Brandt Garza and his crew set off in search of a rumor of treasure beyond imagining.  They yearned for silver, gold, and jewels, but what they will find is damnation.  Accidently releasing the demonic spirits of the Seven Deadly Sins of Man they are “rewarded” by becoming avatars for those same sins.  For a time the crew lose themselves to their respective sins looting and plundering as never before.  They discover their curse gives them powers they never could have imagined.  It won’t be long however before they learn the greater cost of their actions and of a great darkness rising in the world.  If the Sins cannot be imprisoned once more they will pave the way for Hell on Earth.  Can a group of scalawags and misfits inspire others to stand with them, defeat those controlled by the Sins, the demons themselves, and stop the devil in his tracks?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:03:56 AM by Wizard H »
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Feedback Request - NaNoWriMo concepts
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:21:13 AM »
Both are interesting. 

I feel like the first is similar to other things I've read about, but not personally read.  The magic dying thing (only to become resurgent) reminds me of something, but I can't think of what it is.  Maybe Eddings, or Wright?  I'm not sure. 

The second is intriguing, as long as it doesn't become a Fullmetal Alchemist + Pirates of the Caribbean crossover.  Sometimes that works (Pokemon + Lost Legion = Alera), but the necessity of it being a pirate tail initially escapes me, other than explaining how they were found, and how they're being chased.  It seems like they could just as easily be buried in a desert, unearthed by grave robbers, and a band of different people must join together to stop them, and be sailed around by a pirate or privateer to find them.  Oh, and it can't end up too much like The Kingkiller Chronicles either. The Chandrian aren't exactly the seven deadly sins, but they're seven creepy doom-bringing beings that may or may not have been humans up until they became hosts to eternal aspects of darkness and evil.

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 01:32:55 AM »
Both are interesting. 

I feel like the first is similar to other things I've read about, but not personally read.  The magic dying thing (only to become resurgent) reminds me of something, but I can't think of what it is.  Maybe Eddings, or Wright?  I'm not sure.

There's a bit of a twist I've got in mind that I don't want to give away completely, but it's less magic dying out and more someone wiping out competition. >.>

The second is intriguing, as long as it doesn't become a Fullmetal Alchemist + Pirates of the Caribbean crossover.  Sometimes that works (Pokemon + Lost Legion = Alera), but the necessity of it being a pirate tail initially escapes me, other than explaining how they were found, and how they're being chased.  It seems like they could just as easily be buried in a desert, unearthed by grave robbers, and a band of different people must join together to stop them, and be sailed around by a pirate or privateer to find them.  Oh, and it can't end up too much like The Kingkiller Chronicles either. The Chandrian aren't exactly the seven deadly sins, but they're seven creepy doom-bringing beings that may or may not have been humans up until they became hosts to eternal aspects of darkness and evil.
The whole inspiration for this goes back to a song from one of my favorite bands (Flogging Molly) titled, "Seven Deadly Pirates, Seven Deadly Sins."  The title planted this idea at the back of my brain of this crew of pirates who actually embodied the sins.  Each would be prone to indulging in their sin and can inspire it in others, along with a few other abilities.  I've actually only seen a handful of Fullmetal Alchemist episodes so I might need to research that a bit to avoid copying it too much.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 01:35:45 AM »
The first one made me think of Shannara series, but you are having them come back, so it would be a bit different.

The second one might be a better choice simply because it sounds like it is more fleshed out, and it does not sound like a lot of the other fantasy stories I have read.
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:39 AM »

There's a bit of a twist I've got in mind that I don't want to give away completely, but it's less magic dying out and more someone wiping out competition. >.>
It sounds good, and would make a good foundation for a series.  Maybe it's the Shannara series I'm thinking of, like Mith said.  I read part of the first book, but could never finish it.  I don't recall it enough to know if that's what I'm thinking of or not. 

The whole inspiration for this goes back to a song from one of my favorite bands (Flogging Molly) titled, "Seven Deadly Pirates, Seven Deadly Sins."  The title planted this idea at the back of my brain of this crew of pirates who actually embodied the sins.  Each would be prone to indulging in their sin and can inspire it in others, along with a few other abilities.  I've actually only seen a handful of Fullmetal Alchemist episodes so I might need to research that a bit to avoid copying it too much.
I could see it being good.  The FMA series had characters that were human-like, but were associated with the seven deadly sins, including some of their abilities based on their traits.  But I think if you kept your characters more human, with human interaction, it'd be significantly different.  They were mostly loners, from what I recall.  It's been a while.

I've got some ideas based on your synopsis, if you care to read them.  I don't mean to step on your ideas by any means, and if I'm overstepping, feel free to let me know or ignore me. 
(click to show/hide)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:38:29 AM »
2nd.... Might be tough to plot out. Where do you begin? On the slippery slope? That will take a long way down and longer back, but it would be challenging to keep interesting and moving in the overall story arc. good luck
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess