Author Topic: Request A Character  (Read 129830 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Request A Character
« Reply #435 on: January 12, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 12, 2019, 12:59:36 PM »
(click to show/hide)
gotta give it to you Sanctaphrax in my mind he would be close friend to dresden but damn it this hit into perfect villain for games for team of wardens nicework

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 04, 2019, 04:34:23 AM »
Hmmm. I would love to see Obi-wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano and Asajj Ventress fleshed out. Just got through marathoning Star wars the clone wars animated series and man, I loved it. Annoyed me in some aspects but man the story just pulled me in.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:43:51 AM by Ghostfreak »

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 24, 2019, 04:54:50 AM »
I loved your version of Harry Dresden!

I'd love to see a couple of other versions, if you're interested:

Denarian!Harry
Necromancer!Harry
Captain of the Wardens!Harry
Senior Council!Harry
Summer Knight!Harry

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 13, 2019, 10:08:57 AM »
gotta give it to you Sanctaphrax in my mind he would be close friend to dresden but damn it this hit into perfect villain for games for team of wardens nicework

Kind of you to say so!

Hmmm. I would love to see Obi-wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano and Asajj Ventress fleshed out. Just got through marathoning Star wars the clone wars animated series and man, I loved it. Annoyed me in some aspects but man the story just pulled me in.

Never seen it. Saw the main six movies years ago, but don't remember them very well. I'd need a pretty thorough explanation to make anything worthwhile for those guys.

I loved your version of Harry Dresden!

I'd love to see a couple of other versions, if you're interested:

Denarian!Harry
Necromancer!Harry
Captain of the Wardens!Harry
Senior Council!Harry
Summer Knight!Harry

It's been a long time since I cracked a Dresden book, so I'm not confident in my ability to get details right. But most of those would be fairly small changes.

Obviously, you'd need to switch the High Concept for each. The Winter sponsored magic and the Molly-related Aspect would have to go. Replace winter magic with Kemmlerian Necromancy, Summer Magic, or some stunts representing political influence in the White Council, maybe move the way his Refinements are allocated around a little, and you're mostly done for all but the Denarian one.

The Denarian one is the trickiest because it depends a lot on what exactly his coin does. Each is different, after all, and I don't remember what Lasciel's schtick was. Dropping Soulfire and picking up Hellfire seems like an inevitability, though.

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 15, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
Trying to write up Denarian!Harry.

High Concept: Wizard, Warden, and Reluctant Knight
Trouble: Oh God, what have I done?
Other Aspects: Legendary Wiseass; Impulsive, Powerful, and Skilled as Hell;
Skills:
Fantastic: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Superb: Endurance, Intimidation, Presence
Great: Athletics, Investigation, Deceit
Good: Alertness, Rapport, Empathy
Fair: Fists, Scholarship, Performance
Average: Might, Weapons, Guns
Stunts:
Arcane Contacts (lore): Use Lore instead of contacts to find and know people in the supernatural world.
I Have Just the Thing (lore)
Find Weakness (lore)
Infuriate (intimidation)
Powers:
Listening [-1]
The Sight [-1]
Soulgaze [-0]
Wizard's Constitution [-0]
Evocation [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
Sponsored Magic (Hellfire; stackable) [-3]
Sponsored Magic (Demonreach) [-1]
Sponsored Magic (Soulfire) [-3]
Sponsored Magic (Kemmlerian Necromancy) [-2]
Lawbreaker (1st) [-1]
Refinement [-5]
Inhuman Mental Toughness [-2]
The Catch (threats to those he loves) [+0]
Magic:
Evocation (fire, earth, air, spirit, hellfire): +1 fire control, +1 hellfire control, +2 fire power, +1 spirit power, +1 hellfire power
Thaumaturgy: +1 divination control, + 1 divination complexity, +1 necromancy complexity, +1 crafting frequency

What do you think? I need some help with the aspects, and I didn't include any enchanted items because I don't want to have to reread the crafting rules.

I upped Harry's social skills and gave him a couple of lore stunts to represent Lasciel's influence on him as well as hellfire, but I'm not sure what to do about his battle form. I feel like Lasciel might manifest like Anduriel, only with fire instead of shadow and not all the time, but I'm not sure that's realistic or how to write that up if so.

I also gave him Kemmlerian Necromancy and Lawbreaker (1st) because Jim has said that Lasciel would be Harry's black magic tutor if he'd taken up her coin in Changes.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 15, 2019, 10:22:36 PM »
Looks fine at first glance, to me.

As I recall Lasciel fights Harry in Skin Game. Can't remember what form she takes, but I'm sure if you dig that book up and look at the end it'll have something useful for you.

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 16, 2019, 12:36:09 AM »
As I recall Lasciel fights Harry in Skin Game. Can't remember what form she takes, but I'm sure if you dig that book up and look at the end it'll have something useful for you.

She just makes Hannah naked and covered in a few wisps of purple mist. Didn't really seem to suit Harry.

Do you have any aspect suggestions? I want to include something about his friends and family, but Jim has said that Lasciel would work to isolate him, so I'm not sure what to say about them.

Also, as an alternative to allowing you to specify a second target for thaumaturgy done with the mirror, do you think it would work for it to let you gain shifts equal to your conviction without having to roll to control it (sort of doubling your innate power, rather than the power of the entire ritual)?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:40:38 AM by nadia.skylark »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 16, 2019, 02:10:06 AM »
She just makes Hannah naked and covered in a few wisps of purple mist.

Lame.

Do you have any aspect suggestions? I want to include something about his friends and family, but Jim has said that Lasciel would work to isolate him, so I'm not sure what to say about them.

MORE AND MORE ALONE, then?

Also, as an alternative to allowing you to specify a second target for thaumaturgy done with the mirror, do you think it would work for it to let you gain shifts equal to your conviction without having to roll to control it (sort of doubling your innate power, rather than the power of the entire ritual)?

Pretty sure this was meant for the other thread, but anyway. I guess that could work. Honestly, though, I'm not a fan of the whole "you're overpowered until you get screwed over" paradigm.

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2019, 04:49:21 AM »
Lame.

Yeah. Lasciel really wasn't impressive in that book.

MORE AND MORE ALONE, then?

Thanks! Also, can you help me figure out how to phrase the concept of "I'll protect you even if you hate me" in a way that sounds good for an aspect?

And what do you think of "Dubiously Necessary Evil"?

Pretty sure this was meant for the other thread, but anyway.

Yes, it was.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 02:54:14 AM by nadia.skylark »

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 17, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
only thing lasciel might do harry as a combat form is turn him to full-on adonis mode where Lara Raith feels like a snooty pimpled brat.

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 18, 2019, 12:07:05 AM »
Here's a version of Summer Knight!Harry post-Changes where he got the mantle after Summer Knight. I figure the broad strokes mostly wouldn't change until Ghost Story: he'd still end up with Lasciel's shadow, he'd still find out that Thomas was his brother and help make Lara the power behind the throne, he'd still end up involved in Dead Beat (and still have to start working with Lasciel's shadow because Summer would be no help with necromancy), he'd still rescue Molly, still get involved in White Night), still end up rescuing Marcone and Ivy, Morgan would still come to him in Turn Coat, he'd still wipe out the Red Court in Changes.

Major differences would be:
-he wouldn't get made a warden in Dead Beat, and so would get involved with the war as Summer's representative (because the Red Court invades faerie territory in that book)
-as such, he wouldn't be training baby wardens, and would instead spend that time fighting on the front lines
-he would be able to react faster at the end of White Night, so he would still have access to the redeemed Lash
-the roles of Summer and Winter would be reversed in Small Favor, and it would be Summer raising a fuss about the Accords violation rather than the White Council
-as such, he still owes Mab two favors, and that's a lot bigger problem than it was in the books
-he'd do better against the skinwalker in Turn Coat, and Listens-to-Wind might or might not have had to step in
-Morgan would survive Turn Coat (Summer would help Harry with healing)
-he wouldn't kill himself after Changes

That's the point where things would go totally AU, so I'm not going to try to stat it out.

High Concept: A Dark and Stormy Knight
Trouble: Titania Hates My Guts
Other Aspects: Brothers and Sisters in Arms, I Hold With Those Who Favor Fire, Passion is Power, Protector of the Innocent, Stubborn as Hell
Skills:
Fantastic: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Superb: Athletics, Intimidation, Presence
Great: Endurance, Alertness, Weapons
Good: Investigation, Deceit, Performance
Fair: Guns, Rapport, Empathy, Craftsmanship
Average: Might, Fists, Survival, Burglary
Stunts:
Arcane Lore (lore)
Infuriate (intimidation)
Too Fast to Hit (athletics)
You Don't Want Any of This (intimidation)
Powers:
Listening [-1]
The Sight [-1]
Soulgaze [-0]
Wizard's Constitution [-0]
Evocation [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
Sponsored Magic (Summer; stackable) [-3]
Sponsored Magic (Demonreach) [-1]
Sponsored Magic (Soulfire) [-3]
Inhuman Mental Toughness [-2]
The Catch (threats to those he loves) [+0]
Refinement [-6]
Marked by Power [-1]
Magic:
Evocation (fire, earth, air, spirit, summer): +2 fire control, +1 summer control, +2 fire power, +1 air power
Thaumaturgy: +1 divination complexity, +1 biomancy complexity, +2 crafting frequency, +2 crafting control

I switched his spirit refinement for air because I thought it was more thematically suited, and I didn't give him strength/speed/recovery powers because per Paranet Papers I'm pretty sure he gets that from sponsored magic.

He also almost certainly has a bunch of refinements for item slots, and a bunch of really cool items, since per WoJ making items is one of his specialties and summer likes to give its Knights weapons rather than doing the Winter thing and treating them like weapons--I figure the Summer equivalent of Mab's "I'll try to kill you every day with no equipment" thing would be giving Harry a workshop full of magic supplies and some weapons training. (What kind of new equipment do you think that he would have?)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:13:36 AM by nadia.skylark »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 19, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »
The Summer Knight should have Marked By Power.

Incidentally, why are you charging 3 Refresh for Summer Magic (and Hellfire on the Denarian)? Does it have something to do with the "stackable" note?

Speaking of stacking Sponsored Magic, is it actually possible to have both Soulfire and Hellfire? Seems vaguely wrong to me.

Thanks! Also, can you help me figure out how to phrase the concept of "I'll protect you even if you hate me" in a way that sounds good for an aspect?

And what do you think of "Dubiously Necessary Evil"?

Sounds alright to me.

FORCIBLE PROTECTION, maybe? Not sure it really encapsulates the idea perfectly, but I like the way it rings.

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 19, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
The Summer Knight should have Marked By Power.

Thanks. Fixed it.

Incidentally, why are you charging 3 Refresh for Summer Magic (and Hellfire on the Denarian)? Does it have something to do with the "stackable" note?

It's based on the description of Fomor magic in Paranet Papers. It costs -3 instead of -2, but you can stack refinement bonuses from it with refinement bonuses from compatible types of magic. I expanded it to other types of sponsored magic because I think it works well for a wizard, since they're combining sponsored magic with their own magic, and they should have more understanding of their magic than a sorcerer.

Speaking of stacking Sponsored Magic, is it actually possible to have both Soulfire and Hellfire? Seems vaguely wrong to me.

I'm not sure. I've been mostly deciding on a case-by-case basis. For Denarian!Harry, I've been assuming he made his choice to save his daughter, and given Uriel said that thing about "whatever you do, do it for love" I don't think he would have taken away soulfire just for that (if he could. It's unclear whether Uriel could take away Harry's access to what is essentially his own soul based on a free-willed choice Harry made). On the other hand, Summer Knight!Harry lost hellfire when he redeemed Lash because Lash lost access to it. If Lash had kept the ability to give Harry hellfire, on the other hand, I don't think he would have gotten soulfire, because Uriel never would have given it to him in the first place.

(All this, of course, assumes that you don't automatically gain access to hellfire when you get soulfire and vice versa, which I'm not convinced of. WoJ says that they're opposite sides of the same coin, so I don't see why, if it's a human burning their own soul, they can't use both. I actually wrote up a power to this effect, but it's based on a different rules-system for magic that I made up, so I'm not sure how much use it would be to post it.)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 19, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »
It's based on the description of Fomor magic in Paranet Papers. It costs -3 instead of -2, but you can stack refinement bonuses from it with refinement bonuses from compatible types of magic. I expanded it to other types of sponsored magic because I think it works well for a wizard, since they're combining sponsored magic with their own magic, and they should have more understanding of their magic than a sorcerer.

Ah, okay. Makes sense.

Pretty abusable, but that's more or less a moot point here.

(All this, of course, assumes that you don't automatically gain access to hellfire when you get soulfire and vice versa, which I'm not convinced of. WoJ says that they're opposite sides of the same coin, so I don't see why, if it's a human burning their own soul, they can't use both. I actually wrote up a power to this effect, but it's based on a different rules-system for magic that I made up, so I'm not sure how much use it would be to post it.)

To me, calling them two sides of the same coin actually suggests that you can only use one. If you're using your soul hellfire-style, you're obviously not using it soulfire-style.

Bit like a real coin, come to think of it. Either heads is up or tails is up.