Author Topic: Request A Character  (Read 129765 times)

Offline Ownagepants

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Request A Character
« Reply #315 on: July 20, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »
Making a npc  for the game still at the up to your waist level a sorcerer hustler type is the best way to describe him I'm looking for someone whose great at stopping fights before they happen talking his way out of them and as a last resort using his magic to blast his way out .
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 09:46:06 PM by Ownagepants »

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 10, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
Could someone send a link to the kirei kotomine write up that was done some time ago please? I could've sworn I've seen it before but for the life of me I can't place where. I remember seeing him and Kiritsugu Emiya perfectly stated but I can't remember where exactly. Everything else is very spot on, including the pure mortals on characters. Those are brilliantly done. Especially Joel from the last of us. I love that character. An could someone please tell me if a pure mortal can keep up with a team of supernaturals? I'd read the books to find out but they are not available in my country and I've been crazy busy to try and order them. My greatest fear is crearting a character thay can't hang with the best of them, of everyone is either a vamp, were, wizard or something along those lines? How is one able to close the distance so to speak?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 11, 2016, 07:19:47 AM »
Could someone send a link to the kirei kotomine write up that was done some time ago please? I could've sworn I've seen it before but for the life of me I can't place where. I remember seeing him and Kiritsugu Emiya perfectly stated but I can't remember where exactly.

Can't help you, I'm afraid. I was planning to write up Kirei Kotomine, but stopped because nobody would tell me who he was or what he did.

I did write up Shirou Emiya, but I don't recall making or seeing Kiritsugu.

Everything else is very spot on, including the pure mortals on characters. Those are brilliantly done.

Thanks!

An could someone please tell me if a pure mortal can keep up with a team of supernaturals? I'd read the books to find out but they are not available in my country and I've been crazy busy to try and order them. My greatest fear is crearting a character thay can't hang with the best of them, of everyone is either a vamp, were, wizard or something along those lines? How is one able to close the distance so to speak?

Yes, mortals can keep up.

When it comes to knowledge, money, and connections, being a supernatural does nothing at all. Social skills can be enhanced a little with Powers, but not too much. And Magic does dominate when it comes to simple physical prowess, but that doesn't matter much at the table.

There are basically three sticking points. Combat at higher Refresh levels, optimization, and selectively generous GMs.

After the first few combat stunts you start to see real diminishing returns. Powers, meanwhile, you can pour 20 points into profitably. The guy with two combat stunts is a match for the guy with Channelling, but the guy with 10 combat stunts is not a match for the guy with Evocation, three Refinements, Inhuman Speed, Supernatural Toughness with a +3 Catch, and Wings.

Moreover, the importance of that +2 Refresh bonus tends to shrink as Refresh totals rise. It's a smaller portion of your total at higher levels, after all.

Then there's optimization. Powers offer more opportunities for clever people to squeeze out extra effectiveness, so powergamer types are often drawn away from mortals. Especially when the last problem, that of selectively generous GMing, is present.

Sometimes a (not very good) GM will give more leeway to magical characters. If the Wizard wants to try something weird, they'll say it's possible and make it not too difficult. But they won't give the same privilege to mortals. This can be an especially serious problem with Thaumaturgy, which is really limited only by the GM.

So yeah, there are potential issues. But mixed mortal-supernatural games usually work just fine.

Making a npc  for the game still at the up to your waist level a sorcerer hustler type is the best way to describe him I'm looking for someone whose great at stopping fights before they happen talking his way out of them and as a last resort using his magic to blast his way out .

I'm afraid I missed this when you first posted it. Sorry about that.

Still trying to make this guy? If so, I'll help.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 11, 2016, 08:24:39 PM »
http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Kirei_Kotomine everything in mr kotomine and your posts brings up alot points.

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Kiritsugu%20Emiya an here is mr kiritsugu.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:26:14 PM by Ghostfreak »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2016, 09:51:10 PM »
Those pages are less than helpful, I'm afraid. Fan wikis tend to include tons of irrelevant detail, and reading them rarely gives me a good look at the core of the character in question.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 12, 2016, 03:38:01 AM »
Can't help you, I'm afraid. I was planning to write up Kirei Kotomine, but stopped because nobody would tell me who he was or what he did.

I did write up Shirou Emiya, but I don't recall making or seeing Kiritsugu.

Thanks!

Yes, mortals can keep up.

When it comes to knowledge, money, and connections, being a supernatural does nothing at all. Social skills can be enhanced a little with Powers, but not too much. And Magic does dominate when it comes to simple physical prowess, but that doesn't matter much at the table.

There are basically three sticking points. Combat at higher Refresh levels, optimization, and selectively generous GMs.

After the first few combat stunts you start to see real diminishing returns. Powers, meanwhile, you can pour 20 points into profitably. The guy with two combat stunts is a match for the guy with Channelling, but the guy with 10 combat stunts is not a match for the guy with Evocation, three Refinements, Inhuman Speed, Supernatural Toughness with a +3 Catch, and Wings.

Moreover, the importance of that +2 Refresh bonus tends to shrink as Refresh totals rise. It's a smaller portion of your total at higher levels, after all.

Then there's optimization. Powers offer more opportunities for clever people to squeeze out extra effectiveness, so powergamer types are often drawn away from mortals. Especially when the last problem, that of selectively generous GMing, is present.

Sometimes a (not very good) GM will give more leeway to magical characters. If the Wizard wants to try something weird, they'll say it's possible and make it not too difficult. But they won't give the same privilege to mortals. This can be an especially serious problem with Thaumaturgy, which is really limited only by the GM.

So yeah, there are potential issues. But mixed mortal-supernatural games usually work just fine.

I'm afraid I missed this when you first posted it. Sorry about that.

Still trying to make this guy? If so, I'll help.
I'm about to start a new DFRPG game: a Jade Court Vampire, an npc warden ally and three (!) vanilla mortals.  As the (Chest-deep) game progresses, I will keep an eye on the selectively generous GM mode.  Wonder if I should be a hard-a** about ranting/allowing new powers?  I was originally going to rule that every five points of powers acquired (excepting KotCs and pure shapechangers--those templates are expensive).  Probably the former.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2016, 03:57:56 AM »
Yes Wiki's tend to have alot of irrelevant information, but this particular one is very accurate in their depictions. From character personality to powers, its accurate and much better than trying to find it in wikipedia. I'll keep trying with that website to find a better page but so far its a very fruitless venture.

Offline Ownagepants

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 12, 2016, 04:48:27 AM »
Yes I am thanks .

Offline Blackmako

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 13, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »
Could someone stat out Guts from the Anime Berserk? Guts pre and post Berserk armor.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 14, 2016, 07:49:50 AM »
I don't know enough about Guts, unfortunately. So I'd need a summary.

Yes Wiki's tend to have alot of irrelevant information, but this particular one is very accurate in their depictions. From character personality to powers, its accurate and much better than trying to find it in wikipedia. I'll keep trying with that website to find a better page but so far its a very fruitless venture.

I think your best bet is to summarize them yourself. List the traits that any character sheet would need to include, and that'll probably be enough.

Yes I am thanks .

How's this?

(click to show/hide)

I'm about to start a new DFRPG game: a Jade Court Vampire, an npc warden ally and three (!) vanilla mortals.  As the (Chest-deep) game progresses, I will keep an eye on the selectively generous GM mode.  Wonder if I should be a hard-a** about ranting/allowing new powers?  I was originally going to rule that every five points of powers acquired (excepting KotCs and pure shapechangers--those templates are expensive).  Probably the former.

Don't worry too much. As long as you don't show favouritism at the table, you shouldn't have much trouble.

Offline Ownagepants

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 14, 2016, 01:34:59 PM »
I decided to put him at the chest deep level although he's definitely not gonna be apart of the white council so he'll probably still be a sorcerer
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 01:44:01 PM by Ownagepants »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 15, 2016, 06:52:12 AM »
Alright then. Turn Channelling into Evocation, give him +1 Rapport +1 Discipline +1 Lore +2 Deceit +1 Empathy +1 Contacts -1 Stealth -1 Athletics and you're in business.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 15, 2016, 12:01:45 PM »
Is it possible to create The Good Hunter from Bloodborne in the Dresden Files? An if so can someone more skilled than I show me how?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 15, 2016, 11:54:16 PM »
Another character I know nothing about!

Chances are it's possible, but if you want my help you've gotta tell me more.

Offline Ghostfreak

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2016, 02:13:43 AM »
Ahhh. Forgive me. I keep assuming people would know what I am talking about. Silly me. The main antagonist is a character you create in the world of Bloodborne. I'll be sure to include information best as I can. Your opinion and insight is always welcomed. Would it be alright if I post a link to a video to give you a better idea? If no other source is visible?