Author Topic: Request A Character  (Read 129944 times)

Offline Grey Council Warden

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Request A Character
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2016, 02:24:35 AM »
Actually I could use some help, I'm starting a campaign with three friends next week and after a lot of discussion on different types of vampires one of my players basically wants to play a vampire from the vampire diaries tv show. I think I have a basic idea of what she wants but I've only seen the first season and I'm trying to figure out how to model different powers and abilities. Such as their mind control and healing blood. If it helps I'm starting the game at chest high, one so there's less powers and stunts I need to keep track of  initially because I am a new GM, and two so over the course of play they can work towards submerged.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #301 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:21 AM »
Welcome to the boards

I found this web site: http://www.innsmouthfreepress.com/blog/garlic-dont-work-boys-vampire-mythology-and-the-vampire-diaries/

I don't watch the show, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

They seem to have a variety of weaknesses like silver and wood and sunlight so you'd build that into the catch.  That's a huge catch actually.

Certain things would be based on aspects: needing invitations, wearing vervain to be immune to their mind control.

They can have all the building block powers: strength, speed, toughness.

Mind control could just be an incite emotion power or 'incite effect' custom power.  It's probably, more likely, a mental conflict.  Possibly done as consequential test similar to how narcotic saliva is used when put in a drink.

Healing blood might be done as a stunt where they can use Endurance instead of scholarship for First Aid trapping.  Drinking the blood just gives you an excuse to start recovery.  I wouldn't try any custom 'healing' powers.

Offline Grey Council Warden

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 25, 2016, 05:06:32 AM »
Thank you. This helps quite a bit, we gave her character one of the anti-sun rings mostly so she wouldn't be trapped in a building the entire day. I'm going to treat it as an enchanted item. The other two players made a sorcerer and a changeling, luckily I had the opportunity to play a few campaigns with another group of friends so I feel pretty capable in GMing for those two but I wasn't quite sure how to handle a home-brew character. So thank you again we are starting our first game next weekend and this was immensely helpful.

Offline Ownagepants

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 08, 2016, 03:20:11 AM »
This is going to be my first character so my concept is a young man whose parents were part of a cult called the order of war that worships ares they use weapons made of the metal from weapons used in the bloodiest wars in earths history it is their belief that ares wants them to prove their dominance over the supernatural world by hunting strong creatures but during his first hunt he realized his order wasn't hunting strong creatures they were simply murdering supernatural creatures even if they couldn't fight back he realizes this after they attacked a family of lycanthropes and killed everyone including the children so he left even killing a member of his order who tried to stop him. Will this work you can change whatever you need to if it does not fit his name is Achilles Collier I am want to play a character in the vein of micheal without the white god angle.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:39:38 AM by Ownagepants »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 09, 2016, 07:44:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum and to the game.

A character like that should be easy enough to write up. But there are a number of different directions you could go.

When you say Michael without the white god...do you mean a mortal swordsman, or someone with some other kind of supernatural power? Do you intend for those special cult weapons to be items of power?

Also, what level is this guy at? Feet in the Water? Submerged?

Apart from fighting and Conviction, is there anything in particular you want this guy to be good at?

Offline Ownagepants

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 09, 2016, 06:28:25 PM »
I'm leaning towards mortal swordsman and if it would be possible for him to have an item of power then yes otherwise it can just be a sword he's also good at breaking to into places and being stealthy and he's trained but his experience in real battle is limited .

Offline Branagon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 10, 2016, 10:29:29 PM »
Hello.

I've never played, nor ran DFRPG before.

I'm about to GM a game for some friends set in our city and would like some input on characters.
This is just a short term game, so I was thinking of skipping the character/city creation phase so I can give people some experience with Fate before we commit to a longer term campaign.

To that end I'm creating DFs versions of the players as PCs.
Here are my ideas. I would especially like help with powers and stunts.
My players won't have read the books (DFRPG or DF), how much of a problem is that going to be ?

1. An heir to an ancient roman house. Emissary of Power with magic gladius.
Connection to lost Legion??
2. A musician who discovers a magic guitar and a talent for evocations tied to music.
(Guitar is a gift from the Summer Queen)
Guitar IOP focus item. Could I have a stunt that lets you use Performance for power in Evocations or would that be too powerful. What about the cap on focus items.
3. A lycanthrope descendant of berserkers.
(How do I run lycanthropy in game, specifically how to choose when the moon is full)
Maybe let the player pick (with an aspect invoke) ?

I also have a math student and a physics student.
Maybe one or both of them pure mortal I want to emphasize that pure mortals are cool.

7 refresh game  20 skill points.

Thanks

Bran 

p.s. I'm unsure if this should be here or its own thread.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 11, 2016, 05:02:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum and the game, Branagon.

This isn't a bad thread for that, but you'll probably get more response in a new thread. Only person listening here is me.

Not having read the novels shouldn't be a problem at all. Not having read the RPG books might be. Sometimes players have trouble learning the Aspect rules, and the way stress works can be counter-intuitive for some. So you'll need to make sure people have a basic grasp on the rules before you start playing.

I think a stunt or -1 Power to use Performance for spellcasting power sounds like a fine idea. Not sure what your concern is with the focus item limit.

How to handle the full moon is up to you. Letting the player Declare it with a Fate Point sounds like a good idea.

A mortal math or physics student could be a fine PC, but they'd need some other skills beyond academics. And having two mortals with such similar abilities might be boring.

Anyway, here's a take on Achilles:

(click to show/hide)

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 11, 2016, 03:46:33 PM »
can I request harries stats from last book with kusunagi equipped( aka he is knight of cross)

Offline Branagon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 11, 2016, 08:11:56 PM »
Thanks for your help Sanctaphrax.
I created a new thread like you suggested.

My concern with the focus item limit is the Lore limit on focus item slots in one item on OS 278.

Any tips on teaching aspects through play?

I'm going to have my players read "The Basics" and "Harry's World" before we start play.
Maybe that is a good compromise.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 12, 2016, 08:12:18 PM »
can I request harries stats from last book with kusunagi equipped( aka he is knight of cross)

Not much to do there. Just give him the Powers from the Knight of the Cross Template, and maybe raise his Weapons skill.

My concern with the focus item limit is the Lore limit on focus item slots in one item on OS 278.

Any tips on teaching aspects through play?

If for some reason carrying multiple foci doesn't fit the character, you might want to define different parts of the guitar as separate foci. Or just change the rule to "no single bonus can be larger than your Lore". Balance problems can ensue if you let the bonuses grow, but letting characters put more eggs in a single basket should be harmless.

I've had some luck directly pointing out situations where people can use Aspects. Liberal use of Compels helps too, but that's a good idea even if you're not teaching anyone.

Offline Ownagepants

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 21, 2016, 05:54:32 AM »
Thanks so much for the character he's awesome but it does not look like I'll get to use him since we can't find a dm on roll 20 but still thanks im sure he would have been epic.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 21, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
You're welcome and thanks.

If I were you, I wouldn't give up. Keep an eye on this forum and maybe a few others; sooner or later you'll see a GM looking for a group.

Offline Ownagepants

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 23, 2016, 11:38:20 PM »
So good news I found a dm but he is makeing the starting power level up to your waist can you help me power him up to that level .

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 24, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »
Congratulations!

And that's easy enough. Increase Deceit to Fair, add Average Presence, Fists, Might, and Discipline. Add another point to your leftover Refresh.