Author Topic: Request A Character  (Read 129872 times)

Offline regitnui

• Conversationalist
  • -R-
    • View Profile
Re: Request A Character
« Reply #240 on: January 05, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »
There's been a few attempts.  You'd have to searh for It though. 

Alright. It seems like an interesting fit for Dresden Files; a spellcaster who communes with elementals, even if the faeries are completely different in that series.
On Wizardry:[/b]
There's basically nothing a Wizard couldn't do, given enough time, power, and moral flexibility. 

/\   /\
\'!'/

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #241 on: January 05, 2016, 06:19:12 PM »
Alright. It seems like an interesting fit for Dresden Files; a spellcaster who communes with elementals, even if the faeries are completely different in that series.

found them
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,45896.msg2178048.html#msg2178048

this link has all the links.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2016, 07:07:04 AM »
I don't remember anyone but Luke fighting him.  Usually people just run from Vader.  Vader captures Solo and the group in the Sky City and, even though Solo fights back, Vader disarms him pretty easily.

I'm pretty sure his ship goes down in the Death Star fight. That might've been Luke again, though.

He's definitely a cut above the PCs. But only a cut. He's beatable.

Telekinesis seems to fit but I'd give it all the upgrades.  He can choke and all that and rip heavy objects off of walls.

With Superb Conviction-as-Might, he can do that sort of thing. And upgrading Telekinesis fully would let him fly, which he can't.

His suit is supposed to give him boosted strength and endurance.  In the first movie, he lifts a guy off the floor with one hand and crushes his throat.  I'd probably give him Inhuman Strength and Toughness.  Not sure about recovery, though...doesn't seem to fit.  The strength would boost the damage on his Telekinesis and let him lift heavier objects with his mind.

I considered giving him Strength and Toughness, actually. Left them off because, when in doubt, I prefer to stat lower.

I'd give him supernatural senses: sense the force; sense Force users; identify force users.   He can 'feel' when Luke is on a ship 100's of km's away - or even on the same planet.

He could maybe do that with Guide My Hand, but...eh. You're right, Supernatural Sense would fit.

He also deflected bolts with his hands...so I'm not sure if that power should be part of his light saber.  Maybe just the defensive upgrade of telekinesis.

I could move True Aim to the lightsaber and give him bolt-deflection as a stunt. The defensive upgrade of telekinesis uses Discipline, and his isn't great.

Marked BY Power (Empire?)

Yeah. Not really necessary, but it felt appropriate. Should probably have gone with Supernatural Sense instead.

I'm kinda curious if anyone has done a politician, something like a generic president of the US, or an evil mayor in the style of Richard Wilkins III from Buffy.

Not that I know of. I'll take a shot tomorrow.

Cool! I like what you've done with Phreddie and John. I never would've thought of making John a Superlawyer. He might even be worth a player instead of just an NPC with those stunts. Thanks!

Thanks and you're welcome.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2016, 05:26:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure his ship goes down in the Death Star fight. That might've been Luke again, though.

He's definitely a cut above the PCs. But only a cut. He's beatable.
It's actually funny if you watch closely -- Han doesn't even hit Vader. He hits the TIE beside Vader, and the other wingman just panics and crashes into Vader's TIE.

At least, in the original. I think one of the special edition edits was to add a blaster bolt hitting the second wingman.

That said, yeah, he's powerful, but still beatable. I'd put him a step or two above most PCs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:35:52 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2016, 06:19:58 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Gaius Sextus and Araris Valarian done. I have a liking for metalcrafters when it comes to Alera.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »
It's been a long time since I read those books. Jog my memory.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 08, 2016, 01:19:47 AM »
Gaius Sextus is the eighty year old First Lord of Alera during the first five books. If there's an element he isn't a master of, nobody mentions it. He's also one of the two furycrafters to be able to manifest metal furies, which take the form of living armour that covers him from head to foot. He's also an astute politician, cunning and manipulative as Johnny Marcone, and married to Gaius Caria (daughter of High Lord Atticus Quentin) who has been poisoning for the best part of six years.

Araris Valarian is the best swordsman in Alera. He's also the second metalcrafter able to manifest a metal fury. He was a Singulare of Gaius Septimus, brother of Sir Miles Valarian (whom he pushed in front of a cart to stop him from fighting Aldrick ex Gladius) and (late in the series) husband of Isana. After Septimus died he branded himself with a slave's mark so he could protect Isana and Tavi without anyone recognising him, taking on the name Fade when he did so.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 08, 2016, 05:16:00 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:17:33 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 08, 2016, 03:38:18 PM »
You can, but the only characters known to do that have been the First Lord and High Lady Antillus Dorotea. External metalcrafting is incredibly rare, apparently.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 08, 2016, 08:22:20 PM »
That's convenient for me.

Offline AgentSchneider

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 13, 2016, 01:52:29 AM »
Do you do suggestions or critiques for character builds at all? I've got a write-up for a descendent of the Grimm Brothers who is working together as a mercenary with one of my PCs and am looking for some advice.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2016, 02:08:10 AM »
Do you do suggestions or critiques for character builds at all? I've got a write-up for a descendent of the Grimm Brothers who is working together as a mercenary with one of my PCs and am looking for some advice.

Probably doesn't 'make a difference where you get advice (and might not be worth reviving an old thread)but we had an optimization thread here where people/Sanctaphrax did exactly that.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,45405.0.html

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2016, 02:08:59 AM »
Here, there, or anywhere, I'd be happy to tell you what I think of your character.

Offline AgentSchneider

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »
Probably doesn't 'make a difference where you get advice (and might not be worth reviving an old thread)but we had an optimization thread here where people/Sanctaphrax did exactly that.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,45405.0.html

I had looked through it before and it helped, but after seeing some of the creative uses of skills and stunts in this thread I thought some good ideas could come from posting it here. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Here's the character write-up. He's a descendant of the Grimm brothers who works as a Supernatural Mercenary. He works together with one of my PCs who is a Supernatural Martial Artist. Jacob is kind of like a combination of the Winchester Brothers as well as something of a social butterfly, whereas the PC is a bruiser with no social skills who stumbles into situations Jacob has to bail him out of. The build is a Pure Mortal with 34 skill points and 10 Refresh (I'm trying to keep him at the power level of the PCs):
(click to show/hide)