Author Topic: Request A Character  (Read 129943 times)

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
Re: Request A Character
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2015, 11:48:46 PM »
I would like some help with my next campaign character.. i want a futuristic swat agent who incidentally has a spidermanesque venom symbiote. i got a rough draft but would love some new ideas. agent venom comes to mind but my character wants to keep his 'other' a secret from his bosses and the mortal world. play advice would be appreciated. also this campaign will emphasis more rounded play with social and emotional situations appearing as much combat encounters.

Show me how its done good sirs! :}>
Vae Victus

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2015, 03:52:14 AM »
Adding to the Request list:

A Mistborn (ie from the Brandon Sanderson series)

I have only a vague understanding of how those guys work. Give me a full description and I'll do it.

I would like some help with my next campaign character.. i want a futuristic swat agent who incidentally has a spidermanesque venom symbiote. i got a rough draft but would love some new ideas. agent venom comes to mind but my character wants to keep his 'other' a secret from his bosses and the mortal world. play advice would be appreciated. also this campaign will emphasis more rounded play with social and emotional situations appearing as much combat encounters.

Show me how its done good sirs! :}>

Sure.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
I have only a vague understanding of how those guys work. Give me a full description and I'll do it.
The magic systems in Brandon Sanderson's worlds get pretty involved, so the Wiki page will probably be more infomative than I could eve be.  But Ill Try
http://mistborn.wikia.com/wiki/Allomancy

But Ill Try:
The Power is Alloymancy: the ability to swallow, store, and "burn" metals to gain specific Powers.  This is sourced in the god-like entity Preservation, and is one of three Magics on that particular Shard-world, all of which are metal-themed and vaguely accociated with a Shard/god.  There are 16 alloys (4 groups of 4) as well as two other very rare "God-metals." They come in thematic groups (Mind,Body, Temporal, Enhancment) and each usually has an opposite.  For example Bronze to detect Alloymancy being used nearby, Copper to hide if from the Bronze folks; Iron Pulls metal directly  toward you in a newtonian fashion, while Steel Pushes it directly away).

Barring extreme circumstances it is an inherited Power.  A person born able to burn a single specific metal is a Misting, while those more rare ones capable of burning all of them are called Mistborn.

Misting types each have a specific and more commonly used name based on that metal's granted Power (Coinshot, Lurcher, Thug, etc). Several granted powers work best in combination with others, some ONLY work in combination with others, so tragically there are Mistings out there with no practical Power at all. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
Alright, your standard Mistborn can have any kind of aspects/skills they want, but their powers are static. I've done what I can to merge complimentary powers so that the cost isn't too high, but a Mistborn is pretty much an army unto themselves and Vin is a step beyond that. Any metal that isn't given a power would be utilised through compels (Aluminium and the likes) and invocations.

Still, Mistborns are ridiculously powerful.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2015, 03:12:57 AM »
For the most part, those stats look good. At least to my semi-ignorant eye. But I think you can cut the Refresh cost on that set of Powers by a fair bit.

If you use the Additional Effect upgrade for Incite Emotion instead of buying a new Power for each effect, you'll save 7 Refresh before applying the Limitation. And speaking of the Limitation, the wiki page makes it sound fairly significant. Maybe a bigger rebate is in order?

I might also tweak a couple of the metals.

Tin could probably fit in the Supernatural Senses suite, if you raise the cost of it to 3.

The wiki makes Atium sound pretty incredible. Not sure 3 Refresh of stuff is enough to represent it, especially since it's really a -2 Power. I don't think doing without Cassandra's Tears should cost extra. Actually, come to think of it I kind of dislike Short Term Precognition in general. Unfortunately, I can't think of a better way to handle Atium off the top of my hand. Maybe the other Precognition Power? But it's also a bit too small.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »
It's not really that significant; there's an entire economy based around getting these metals and putting them in the hands of allomancers. The only one that is even rare is Atium, which I'll go back and fix now.

As for the things Atium can do, yeah. I couldn't find a decent power to model it properly and it was pretty late last night so I didn't want to bother making one up. Suffice it to say, if you have Atium you pretty much always win, barring exceptional circumstances or the other guy having it as well.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:34:31 AM by PirateJack »

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »

Atium IS awesome, and also super rare, far moreso that any of the others.  It's one of the Two God-Metals, is only mined from a single place  (where it slowly grows inside Geodes that specifically cannot be harvested by alloymancers). It is the base standard for all the upper level economy (and military power to an extent), and the primary plot surrounding the main trilogy is a band of folks trying to get a way to counter it, in order to overthrow an Immortal dictator. The other God Metal, by comparison, grants permanently Mistborn Powers to anyone (and all their progeny thereafter).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »
It's not really that significant; there's an entire economy based around getting these metals and putting them in the hands of allomancers. The only one that is even rare is Atium, which I'll go back and fix now.

The wiki talks about the risk of running out of metal at an inconvenient time, though. Does that just hardly ever happen?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2015, 10:42:31 PM »
The wiki talks about the risk of running out of metal at an inconvenient time, though. Does that just hardly ever happen?

Only after they've been fighting for a while or have been forced to burn Aluminium, which would be much better covered by compels than powers.

Also, I did think about putting Tin as a Supernatural Sense power, but then I figured that since it gives a boost to senses in an active way, it'd be better off as Incite Effect so that the player could apply aspects to himself, which he could then use to boost rolls or perhaps Invoke for Effect to gain a relevant power for a scene.

It's also important to note that Allomancers can both burn and flare their metals. Burning is a slow, but less powerful method of using the Investiture inherent in the metals. Flaring uses the metal up quicker, but also gives the power a significant boost, which I see as creating a Flaring X aspect, which is basically opens it up for compels.

Honestly, if I had to use a system for Allomancy it would be Fate, but everything would be done through aspects rather than attacks and the likes. Allomancy can do direct damage, but a lot of the time there are multiple effects that go hand in hand with them. Take steel for instance; you can use it to push any enemy that is wearing metal away from you, but at the same time you are pushed as well, with weight and allomantic power determining how far you go (this comes up in the mini-sequel, where the main character can adjust his weight as well as burn steel, so that he can weigh hundreds of kilograms and use that weight to brace himself for his steel pushes).

Allomancers would go through a lot of fate points; many more than Wizards, I think, since they'd be up against Steel Inquisitors, which have their own set of powerful abilities.

EDIT: Also, Tin doesn't really give you any extra senses. It just boosts the ones you have to ridiculous levels.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:54:21 PM by PirateJack »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2015, 01:35:16 AM »
I know, but I think that's easier to represent with Supernatural Senses than with Incite Effect.

Anyway, here's the emissary of the monkey king and the illusionist.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

To do:

Joel from the last of us.
Jonathan Goldsmith, The Most Interesting Man in the World
Kirei Kotomine from Fate Zero
Trafalgar Law from One Piece
An experienced Harry Dresden
The Rag Lady
Nanoha Takamichi from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Shirou Emiya from Fate Stay Night
A summoner like binder in a focused practitioner
An empowered mortal Bartitsu fighter
A futuristic swat agent who incidentally has a spidermanesque venom symbiote

Offline killking72

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2015, 07:05:37 AM »
I don't really need aspects, but I'd like to see how you'd make basically a modern day van helsing who's working for the super top secret government paranormal agency and compare it to mine.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »
Only after they've been fighting for a while or have been forced to burn Aluminium, which would be much better covered by compels than powers.

Also, I did think about putting Tin as a Supernatural Sense power, but then I figured that since it gives a boost to senses in an active way, it'd be better off as Incite Effect so that the player could apply aspects to himself, which he could then use to boost rolls or perhaps Invoke for Effect to gain a relevant power for a scene.

It's also important to note that Allomancers can both burn and flare their metals. Burning is a slow, but less powerful method of using the Investiture inherent in the metals. Flaring uses the metal up quicker, but also gives the power a significant boost, which I see as creating a Flaring X aspect, which is basically opens it up for compels.

Honestly, if I had to use a system for Allomancy it would be Fate, but everything would be done through aspects rather than attacks and the likes. Allomancy can do direct damage, but a lot of the time there are multiple effects that go hand in hand with them. Take steel for instance; you can use it to push any enemy that is wearing metal away from you, but at the same time you are pushed as well, with weight and allomantic power determining how far you go (this comes up in the mini-sequel, where the main character can adjust his weight as well as burn steel, so that he can weigh hundreds of kilograms and use that weight to brace himself for his steel pushes).

Allomancers would go through a lot of fate points; many more than Wizards, I think, since they'd be up against Steel Inquisitors, which have their own set of powerful abilities.

EDIT: Also, Tin doesn't really give you any extra senses. It just boosts the ones you have to ridiculous levels.
Any thoughts into how you'd tie in the Feruchemy interactions?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2015, 02:13:02 AM »
I don't really need aspects, but I'd like to see how you'd make basically a modern day van helsing who's working for the super top secret government paranormal agency and compare it to mine.

What do you mean by a "modern day van helsing"?

I haven't read Dracula, I know little about the guy.

Anyway...

Here's the summoner, the empowered bartitsu fighter, and the SWAT agent.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

To do:

Joel from the last of us.
Jonathan Goldsmith, The Most Interesting Man in the World
Kirei Kotomine from Fate Zero
Trafalgar Law from One Piece
An experienced Harry Dresden
The Rag Lady
Nanoha Takamichi from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Shirou Emiya from Fate Stay Night
A modern day van helsing who's working for the super top secret government paranormal agency

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2015, 03:40:25 AM »
Lucky Shot (Guns): Guns attacks inflict +1 stress for every + on the dice

This is a fun stunt.  I like it.  combine it with a luck power  :)

Offline S1C0

• Conversationalist
  • Don't worry about it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2015, 04:40:49 AM »
Thank you for your wonderful idea, i agree with Taren lucky shot is awesome, however, I was thinking of a more tankish type of swat agent more in leu of a shield wielding surveillance drone using traditional ex army ranger..... i know other concepts are in your Que so whenever you can i would greatly appreciate a new writeup.. here are a few "facts" about Him ;)

He was bonded with the symbiote at a very early age the bonding process was so intense that it gave poor Jacob(his name) a massive heart attack, because the host was too young and the bonding so traumatic for both of them the symbiote had to 'simplify' itself to survive, forgetting Its own past and losing much if not all of its powers, it has taken almost ten years of slowly growing to the point of true sentience... it has only very recently been trying to actively shape its host.

Jacob has exceptionally high discipline and presence making him an excellent soldier and a true leader. From his days in the army he also has a ton of contacts both in and out of the military. The drone is more or less a copy of Guilty Spark from HALO, just without the AI. the powers the symbiote gift the host at the start are more supportive in nature rather than offensive... if you would make multiple stages of progression in the Symbiot's effect on Jacob over different levels of power i would be much obliged.... i like the stunt strategist (presence) for a starter stunt in his lowest tier on up... one plot point i have is after his first encounter with the supernatural would he will in his next milestone be severely hospitalized holding back some otherworldly enemy so that his friends and allies may escape... i was thinking of playing him in a hospital bed at an army base helping his friends trough his drone as a whistler Esq support type role, while in the hospital he will learn about the advanced tech of the military in regards to his drone and useful equipment after that phase that is when the symbiote shall reveal itself and offer more power(he may have some but he really doesn't know about it till this point)       

Vae Victus