Author Topic: NaNoWriMo - How does it work?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
NaNoWriMo - How does it work?
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:54:31 AM »
So I'm thinking about participating in National Novel Writing Month.  I've never done it before.  I'm looking at the site, and I guess I'm confused.  I thought they had some sort of subject or topic we're supposed to start with, and then we go from there.  Is it just anything we think of?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:57:02 AM by Griffyn612 »

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo - How does it work?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
So I'm thinking about participating in National Novel Writing Month.  I've never done it before.  I'm looking at the site, and I guess I'm confused.  I thought they had some sort of subject or topic we're supposed to start with, and then we go from there.  Is it just anything we think of?

Yes. The object is to get you to write and to get your word count up. You can write about whatever you want.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 07:58:09 PM »

The object is to write at least 50,000 words of a novel in November. Novels can be in any genere, and precision is not required -- It's just putting your nose to the grindstone and cranking out at least 50,000 words in 30 days. That's it.

Craig

(who did 50,000 words the last two years)
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:33:28 PM »
Hmm.  I've got three things I could start, but one's epic in length, so it won't nearly be finished.  The other is probably going to be closer to 70,000, and that seems like a bit much to try and get done.  The only other idea I have right now is probably too short, totally no more than 30,000 if I stretch it.  That's why I was thinking they gave you some sort of vague topic or subject, that might give me an idea just for this one-month thing.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 01:03:43 AM »
Hmm.  I've got three things I could start, but one's epic in length, so it won't nearly be finished.  The other is probably going to be closer to 70,000, and that seems like a bit much to try and get done.  The only other idea I have right now is probably too short, totally no more than 30,000 if I stretch it.  That's why I was thinking they gave you some sort of vague topic or subject, that might give me an idea just for this one-month thing.

You don't have to complete the novel in November, just write 50,000 words of the novel during the month....

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:03:53 PM »
I've done it a few times, and it comes out to about 2600 words/day, so if you can do that, you're golden!
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 02:21:03 AM »
Julie Butcher posted a great thoughtful blog on this very topic. Read here:http://buzzymag.com/nanowrimo-good-bad-idea/   go for it but keep your eyes open as to your goal.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 11:47:35 PM »
Whelp, two days in and I'm at 10k.  The problem is, that's four out of seven chapters.  Even with two left that might hit 3k each, I'm looking at 17k total after the wrap-up chapter. 

I knew I was going to need a couple different stories to hit 50k, but I was hoping for 20k or so per story.  That way I could make it two short stories or novellas for NaNoWriMo.  I've got very basic ideas for two more, so maybe I can get it close to 50k, but the second and third plot ideas are much more nebulous than the first, which I had outlined over the last couple of weeks in preparation.

SO, what I need is help.  Does anyone have an hauntingly beautiful songs that they would recommend?  The whole idea for my storyverse spawned from a song that had a creepy, dreamy feel.  I've got a handful of others to use as inspiration, but I could use a few more.

Offline Mith

• Posty McPostington
  • Granny Winter, You're the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 01:10:51 AM »
I don't really do "creepy beautiful", but Gaelic is a beautiful language.  How about this one?

Here are the lyrics and translations:

AR ÉIRINN NÍ N-EÓSAINN CÉ H-Í
Aréir is mé téarnamh um' neoin
Ar an dtaobh thall den teóra 'na mbím,
Do théarnaig an spéir-bhean im' chómhair
D'fhág taomanach breóite lag sinn.

Do ghéilleas dá méin is dá cló,
Dá béal tanaí beó mhilis binn,
Do léimeas fé dhéin dul 'na cómhair,
Is ar éirinn ní n-eósainn cé h-í.

Last night as I strolled abroad
On the far side of my farm
I was approached by a comely maiden
Who left me[? 'sinn' = 'us'] distraught and weak.
I was captivated by her demeanour and shapeliness
By her sensitive and delicate mouth,
I hastened to approach her
But for Ireland I'd not tell her name.

Dá ngéilleadh an spéir-bhean dom' ghlór,
Siad ráidhte mo bheól a bheadh fíor;
Go deimhin duit go ndéanfainn a gnó
Do léirchur i gcóir is i gcrich.
Dó léighfinn go léir stair dom' stór,
'S ba mhéinn liom í thógaint dom chroí,
'S do bhearfainn an chraobh dhi ina dóid,

If only this maiden heeded my words,
What I'd tell her would be true.
Indeed I'd devote myself to her
And see to her welfare.
I would regale her with my story
And I longed to take her to my heart
Where I'd grant her pride of place

Tá spéir-bhruinneal mhaordha dheas óg
Ar an taobh thall de'n teóra 'na mbím.
Tá féile 'gus daonnacht is meóin
Is deise ró mhór ins an mhnaoi,
Tá folt lei a' tuitim go feóir,
Go cocánach ómarach buí.
Tá lasadh 'na leacain mar rós,

There is a beautiful young maiden
On the far side of my farm
Generosity and kindness shine in her face
With the exceeding beauty of her countenance.
Her hair reaches to the ground
Sparkling like yellow gold;
Her cheeks blush like the rose

Here's another song: Safe Upon the Shore
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:24:44 AM by Mith »
Mister will never die, because Jim has already been threatened with typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes and smog by the betas if he tries to off Mister.