Author Topic: Bardic Sponsored Magic  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Dramin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Bardic Sponsored Magic
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:41:20 AM »
Has anyone ever done a write up for bardic sponsored magic? I tried to do a search, and look in the sponsored magic master thread, but I didn't find anything.

The magic would be similar to what is used in Finnish folklore? For example, using performance to control the spell instead of discipline? One of the players in a campaign I'm setting up would like to do something with a bard style caster.

Thanks for your help and input.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Bardic Sponsored Magic
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 12:42:46 AM »
*ahem* HEY HICK!!!!!
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:47:06 AM »
There's the sponsored magic master list, you might find something there. As narphoenix says, Hick might now where to look specifically.

If a character concept warrants the use of skills other than the three default ones, I'll gladly allow it. Subbing performance for discipline would absolutely make sense in this case, so even regular magic, without a sponsor, should do the trick. I would not charge a stunt to switch skills.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:20:53 AM »
I don't think performance gets used very often, so I'd allow it instead of discipline without a feat.  In fact, it's probably more 'optimal' to keep discipline since discipline is the default for resisting mental attacks n' stuff.  So I'd give it for free.

I'd probably allow scholarship instead of conviction...or, actually, presence makes more sense.

Lore would stay the same, I think, since lots of stories and songs are based on fantastical creatures and events.

But if you want to have him spend a refresh, there's a stunt called...uh...alternate casting style...it lets you swap out your 3 casting skills for 3 different ones.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 04:40:00 AM »
*ahem* HEY HICK!!!!!
*emerges from summoning pentagram in cloud of fire and ashes*
WHO DARES

I'm on my phone right now so formatting the actual magic would be a pain, but I'll get right on it. I'll be drawing a lot of inspiration from this little gem.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline MadAlchemist

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 07:33:14 AM »
Spitballing it I might do this
Sponsored Magic: Music of the Skald -4
You have been immersed in the traditions of the Skald, memorizing thousands of songs and poems. Many of which contain kernels of ancient lore. You have been trained integrate complex vocal components into your spellcasting and few could describe your works as anything but enchanting. You are the truest of bards.
Sponsor: None or many
Agenda: The gathering of stories, creation of epic stories, and sharing of knowledge are central to the lifestyle. If you are sponsored by some being that being's agenda. If self sponsored you may take some less practical actions purely because it would make a better story.
Evocations always involve sound of some kind. Most closely mimicking Spirit evocations of the flashy light and sound variety.
Rituals often function like Psychomancy, bolstering allies with songs and tales of great heroism or destroying someones self-confidence with biting satire. Clever bards can recite stories to to piece together historical mysteries or call attention from otherworldy beings by singing of their deeds and glories.
Evothaum: Any effect that can be accomplished with Music of the Skald may be cast with the speed and methods of Evocation.
Extra benefits: Bards can sing or play an instrument as a supplemental action to perform a maneuver applicable to their casting that is also useful in social conflicts.   

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
Slightly Off Topic: This makes me think of the Silmarillion and LotR!
Specifically Lúthiens battle against Sauron and Galadriels destruction of Dol Guldur through "songs of power".

Not exactly unexpected as the OP references Finnish folklore, something that influenced Tolkien a lot.

Anyway, excuse the detour to middle-earth - this looks really interesting!

Offline Dramin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »
Thanks for all of the good ideas. I wasn't aware of the 'alternate casting style' feat. I'll have to look that up. I really appreciate all of the help on this concept.