Author Topic: Focused Practitioner as Telekinetic  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Lexiconjuration

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Focused Practitioner as Telekinetic
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:15:53 AM »
I had an idea for a Spirit Channeler whose magic acts similarly to a telekinetic. OW/YS don't really cover something like this, so I made a stunt/power in order to make sure it's fair. I wanted to run it by some people before attempting to confront my players with it.

Telekinetic (-2): This character has an inability to use either rote spells or focus items, but gains a +2 to all rolls involving the use of Spirit magic as an application of force.
Time is only a flat circle if you lack depth perception.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Focused Practitioner as Telekinetic
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 01:37:53 AM »
Stunts and Magic operate under completely different math, I don't think this would be very balanced.

A roll that's 2 steps below your skill will almost always succeed, which means you would kind of turn every spell into a rote spell, because there's almost no chance to fail the discipline roll with a bonus like that. And if you want, you can really press for more power to boot. And getting focus items up to +2 for everything is kind of pricey as well, if you do it with refinement. You'd need 4 refresh worth of refinement in focus items to get your +2 every time you cast, AND the items can be taken away from you.
All in all, I think it's way too much.

There's a telekinetic power on the custom power list in the resources section, maybe that's to your liking.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:03:05 AM »
Seriously, Telekenesis is just Channeling, with Rituals if you do long duration stuff (the equivalent of D&D Unseen Servant or Tenser's Floating Disc).

The rules handle it just fine, but I expect it'd be up to the GM to fiddle it if you didn't want the free focus items and wanted something else instead.   The difference between Spirit (which does veils and a bunch of other stuff) and Telekenesis Channeling would be that the latter would probably have better fine control - you don't just fling things around, you maybe pick locks or can cause a gun to aim and fire or something.  Might even be able to fly without stupidly high control rolls.   Just work through with the GM enough cool things you want to do with it that make up for the stuff Spirit would normally do.

In the end it is all blocks, maneuvers, attacks and movement anyway, no matter what element you use.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:14:36 AM by solbergb »

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:25:59 AM »
Ahem.

TELEKINESIS [-2]
Description: You can exert physical force with the power of your mind alone.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline
Effects:
Mind Over Matter. Whenever you would use your Might skill, you may use your Conviction skill instead. If you have a Strength Power you may apply its lifting, breaking, and grappling bonuses to your Conviction skill.
Telekinetic Reach. If an action would normally require you to touch something, you can do it from a zone away. If you use this effect to do something which requires good fine motor control, your Discipline restricts whatever skill you use.
Telekinetic Attacks. You may use your Discipline skill to hit people either unarmed or with objects. Attacks made with this effect include stress bonuses from Strength Powers and are treated as ranged attacks for the purpose of selecting defence skills.
Enhanced Telekinesis [-1]. Your Telekinetic Reach extends to everything within your line of sight. In addition, unarmed attacks that you make with this Power are now weapon 2 and may be enhanced with any Natural Weaponry upgrade except for Summoned, Explosive, and Ranged.
Defensive Telekinesis [-1]. You are protected by a shell of telekinetic power. You may use your Discipline skill to defend against physical attacks or to create physical barriers.
Self-Propelling Telekinesis [-1]. (Requires Defensive Telekinesis) Your telekinesis is strong enough to let you carry yourself. This allows you to fly as though you had the Wings power, using Discipline instead of Athletics to move around in the air.

does this seem like what you're looking for?
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
We've used the above power to great effect over at RNYC.
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Offline Lexiconjuration

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 06:21:24 PM »
I do like that custom power, so I might finagle it a bit to fit what I'm trying to get at.

Also, I realized that I may not have made it clear that the Telekinetic power that I made up has to be taken in addition to Channeling (Spirit).

My thought was that yes, he would function exactly the same as a Focused Practitioner, but the trade off for his +2 to force magic is an inability to upgrade that magic in any way except raising the level of his Discipline/Conviction and possibly taking additional powers.
Time is only a flat circle if you lack depth perception.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 07:08:46 PM »
If you need Channelling in order to take that Power, then I'd say it's too weak. You could get a +2 to Spirit control with no drawbacks for 1 Refresh with Refinement.