Author Topic: Riposte Question  (Read 1629 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Riposte Question
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:56:46 AM »
Suppose villain 'A' attack PC 'B,' Weapon attack vs weapon attack.  'B' successfully defends and then declares a Riposte (yes he has the stunt).  Since the stunt description says automatically successful attack (i.e., it hit and will do stress), does that allow 'B' to spend FP's to increase the attack roll?  For that matter, can 'B' invoke previously placed Aspects/Maneuvers on the 'A' to increase the stress attack?  My personal opinion, I'd say 'B' should have spent FP's to increase the Defense roll and would NOT get to retroactively spend FP's just to whack someone, but would be able to tag the Aspects/Maneuvers.

Your thoughts?   
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Riposte Question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
If you have ripost your defense roll and your attack roll are the same thing.  The number of shifts your enemy misses by is the same number of shifts that you hit them with your ripost attack.

So I'd allow it.  I'd even allow it after he knew the attack was going to miss so he could push his dodge(and therefore his attack) higher.

Most people will only use just enough tags/fps to get the miss but ripost encourages dodging by lots n lots of shifts.

You know what I mean?  Technically, they are spending their tags on their defense roll.

Offline Centarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »
The way I have always played is that you know the base result of both rolls before you decide to spend any fate points or make any aspect invocations. Then you can invoke aspects, spend fate points and tell the story of the interaction. You may even get into fate point "bidding wars."

Under that interpretation there is no difference between spending fate points before or after you declare a Riposte (and we aren't going to punish people for doing things technically out of order). In fact, I would let the player use aspects like Cover to increase his defense (and wouldn't be useful on offense), and then also let him bring out aspects like "Pull No Punches" (which wouldn't be useful on offense) to increase the damage of the Riposte attack.

Basically he would describe the action as "I had taken cover behind the bookshelf. Then the Goon turned the corner and swung his sword at me, but he was surprised that I had stopped and hadn't kept running, so his attack was off balance (Invoking the Cover aspect to increase defense). I took advantage of his stumble to deliver a Riposte, and I really let him have it, I don't pull and punches (spending fate point to invoke his own aspect)." 

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
If you have ripost your defense roll and your attack roll are the same thing.  The number of shifts your enemy misses by is the same number of shifts that you hit them with your ripost attack.

So I'd allow it.  I'd even allow it after he knew the attack was going to miss so he could push his dodge(and therefore his attack) higher.

Most people will only use just enough tags/fps to get the miss but ripost encourages dodging by lots n lots of shifts.

You know what I mean?  Technically, they are spending their tags on their defense roll.
agreed
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey