Author Topic: More New GM Questions!  (Read 1646 times)

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
More New GM Questions!
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:27:39 AM »
We're four sessions in to Ray of Sunshine and I'm pretty happy. I do have some more questions, though! Hoping y'all can help a fella out.

1. Counterspells in the book is under the Evocation rules. However, if someone is taking their time and setting up a circle in order to remove, say, a mind control spell on someone - can it be a Ritual instead?

2. How do you handle new characters coming into a game when it comes to phases 4 and 5 (Whose Path Have You Crossed?)?
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: More New GM Questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:42:08 AM »
1. Sure, why not.

2. I don't worry about it. I try to make sure they have some kind of connection to the other PCs, but it doesn't much matter if the connection is formally expressed through a path-crossing Aspect.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 01:50:44 AM »
We're four sessions in to Ray of Sunshine and I'm pretty happy. I do have some more questions, though! Hoping y'all can help a fella out.

1. Counterspells in the book is under the Evocation rules. However, if someone is taking their time and setting up a circle in order to remove, say, a mind control spell on someone - can it be a Ritual instead?
If you need to figure out which specialization it falls under, probably Transformation and Disruption.

2. How do you handle new characters coming into a game when it comes to phases 4 and 5 (Whose Path Have You Crossed?)?
Honestly, most of the games I've run have just ignored the phases in favor of, "Just come up with five aspects for yourself."
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 01:53:46 AM »
For the aspect thing, I just let them choose 5 and fill in the last two in-game.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:44:51 AM »
I'd ask for a couple of players to step up for path-crossing with the new PC, but not insist...

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:18:52 AM »

Thaumaturgy can do anything evocation can do, it just takes a while longer.

Just fill them out later. Maybe they get an idea who they might have met before and how, or the current game becomes their first guest star story. In any case, don't force it, the game works well, even if not every aspect slot is filled.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »
Given that in my game, all kinds of people tied themselves to a player that didn't show up, it's not a big deal.  They still have connections through the absent third party.

Also the early scenes might have some connection with the absent player, based on what some of the PCs have learned so far.

Let the guest star in any story, or with any interesting NPC that has been important in the stories.  Somebody getting hospitalized, for example, is a great excuse for a PC relative to show up...(or I guess killed too...at the funeral instead of the hospital waiting room)

And yeah.  They can develop aspects in play too....but aspects actually do help tie in newbies to an established group, so it's helpful to the GM if the players make at least a little effort along those lines.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:58:02 PM by solbergb »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »
m) I guess killed too...at the funeral instead of the hospital waiting room)

Yoink.  Stolen.