Author Topic: POLL: End Game Opinion of the Series  (Read 63429 times)

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: End Game Opinion of the Series
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2009, 03:57:31 AM »
Robert Wolfe broke his promise to us long ago that if it didn't continue he would reveal those stories to us.

No, he is hoping and holding out for a few follow up movies...  stand alones...  YES!  Yes, that us what he s doing!
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2009, 02:01:23 AM »
Lurker comments:

I enjoyed it, and once I knew it had books, I sped off to look for some. Shame it got killed.

Books are way, way better! I just borrow them though. I want my own copies, but they don't sell it in my country, last time I checked a bookstore. Maybe I should check other bookstores... (why oh why...)
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2009, 02:15:43 AM »
Lurker comments:

I enjoyed it, and once I knew it had books, I sped off to look for some. Shame it got killed.

Books are way, way better! I just borrow them though. I want my own copies, but they don't sell it in my country, last time I checked a bookstore. Maybe I should check other bookstores... (why oh why...)

You could always buy them off the Internet.

'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2009, 04:52:06 AM »
I really enjoyed the series. I saw it before I read the books.
I ended finding the series on Hulu in August and then started Dead Beat the same month and have read all the books minus the short stories (except I have read Backup, Storm Front's graphic novel #1 and started Welcome to the Jungle.)

I wish the series had stayed on. I liked Paul as Harry and Terrence as Bob.

and if anyone wants the books used, I can usually find copies in fair to near mint condition locally at the big 2nd hand bookstore chain.
Let me know. :D That's if you can't get them online or at a bookstore locally.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2009, 09:11:31 AM »
You could always buy them off the Internet.

true that. I will... when I get the money. haha.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Carnackis Ghost

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
I really enjoyed the show.As a matter of fact,I thought it was the best thing on SyFy since Farscape.As for those who think the books are better:they usually are.

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2009, 09:50:58 AM »
The TV show was great!  I think because it was soooo different, but still good.

I loved how they did Bob, IMO he was better than in the books. =)
I think the books are better(Story wise) but the TV show had its own great flair.

Offline Bajra79

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2009, 02:45:59 AM »
the only show on that channel i could get my wife to watch....sigh.  this far out and i was still hoping that they would resurrect it.  How long was Family Guy off the air before they brought it back?  I actually got into the books because of the show.  I loved them both.  I dug the interaction between the show bob and harry.   

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2009, 03:22:28 AM »
Family Guy was a cartoon, so a cast wasn't a problem.
If they wanted to revive this, they'd have to find and sign on all the actors....
But who knows.  Maybe after the contract expires, someone else will pick up the rights. =)

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
the only show on that channel i could get my wife to watch....sigh.  this far out and i was still hoping that they would resurrect it.  How long was Family Guy off the air before they brought it back?  I actually got into the books because of the show.  I loved them both.  I dug the interaction between the show bob and harry.   

Syfy (or more likely Lionsgate since Lionsgate has the Internet distribution rights) still has the rights until 2012.  They're just being greedy by not letting anyone do anything with it and at the same time they're being stupid.  They're letting a potential money maker go to waste.

'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »
^well, you know what they say.  The longer you wait, the more you want it.

Besides, once the Harry Potter movies are finished, I think DF will have a much better chance of drawing in an audience.

Offline habman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »
I love the books so much...so I was really disappointed with the series. When you read the books you start to get a feel for what Harry would look like...his attitude....and his general comportment. You also get a feel for how Karrin Murphy would look...and her general attitude and comportment. You even get a feel for Bob...and how his skull would look and talk. Then along comes the series...and everything has changed. I recognize that things can be better fleshed out in a book....but come on! Everyone...especially Murphy...just didn't ring true.
I'm afraid that's what happens when you let TV executives get hold of a script and make changes. If I had my way....Jim Butcher would have been executive producer of the series...answering to no one....and if his idea of what the series should look like doesn't float...then so be it. But I just got the sense that someone who hadn't read the series...or didn't care...had the final word on the project....and seriously dropped the ball.
Maybe they should try an "IT"-type mini-series for one of the books...and see what they can do with that. ???

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2010, 11:58:10 PM »
You even get a feel for Bob...and how his skull would look and talk.

I honestly don't think that would have worked on TV.  It would have gotten old really fast and no special effect would have made it palletable to non-book fans.  You either have CGI or a skull puppet and it just wouldn't translate well, I really liked the ghost.

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »
I enjoy(ed) both the show AND the books. Yep, there are differences, but not really major ones, IMO. Heh. I can name a number of TV series (and movies) that should have been labeled "Inspired by" the books they were based on, as there were so many differences that if some of the characters hadn't had the same names as those in the books, a lot of people never would have realized there was a connection. Then there are others where the producers, etc. only took aspects of the books and concentrated on them when they made their films, not only completely changing the focus of the story but in most cases destroying some decent books. (The "Starship Troopers" movies come to mind, on a whole bunch of levels.) So, yeah, the TV series wasn't exactly like the books - but I expected that. And they were a lot truer to the original material than I expected.
The Universe without Music is Madness

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2010, 04:05:41 AM »
I actually like it when a series is NOT loyal to the source material, considering, it is my personal hobby to read books and then see the movies.  Hint Hint...just ordered Percy Jackson online. =)

I loved the hockey stick idea.  It actually took me a while to get use to the staff with carvings.
I loved ghost bob.  I saw the pilot, and I was not amused by the glowing non-moving thing.
I loved morgan.  He was a badass (pardon my french).
I loved murphy...She was just likable...

And I think it is great to 're-imagine' a series.  You get different stories, characters, etc.  It is something new, and interesting, and most of the time good in a way unique from the source material.

...I am bummed that I didn't get to see the Time Traveler's wife.  I read the book, but my Bio lab went overtime till 10pm, so I couldn't go to the free showing...
...And now I'm on a tangent....