Author Topic: Final editing is now done!  (Read 1848 times)

Offline slrogers

• Participant
  • Learning the art from those that love the dance...
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
Final editing is now done!
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »
I know that Steven King says that if it takes you longer than five years to get your book out that you're just lollygagging, but I definitely had a lot more to learn about writing than Steven King did. And though I had tried to publish this same title with a minimal about of out-of-pocket expenses, I realized that if I wanted other people to invest even a couple of dollars in this that I needed to invest everything I could into it. I still needed to keep my day job, so investing strictly more time was limited. I don't know that I found the best people for art work and editing, but I am happy with what has come out of this process. I still have a lot to learn about writing and publishing but hopefully, now getting this one step closer, the rate at which I am learning can increase. I'm hoping that I can get the next book out in much less than a third of the time it took me with this one, with still even better quality.

As a promotion, this weekend from Thursday, Nov 13, through Saturday, Nov 15, the Kindle version of this book will be free. Please download a copy and tell anyone else that might be interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Discipulus-Secretus-Discovery-Hidden-Order-ebook/dp/B00BOO4Z66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415736406&sr=8-1&keywords=discipulus+secretus

Offline slrogers

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
Re: Final editing is now done!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 12:53:03 AM »
Self publishing can be nerve racking with so many details to keep track of. Today I panicked and mis-corrected a sentence that I thought was wrong but wasn't. Now I have to wait until KDP releases my mistake, before I correct it back to the way it was. So, note to self: when you find a mistake, take a deep breath, don't panic, take the time to make sure your fixing a problem instead of just imagining one and making things worse.

Offline slrogers

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »
Thank you for your help. I've been consistently in the top 10 free books for my category (reaching #5 at one point) during this promotion. Today (Saturday, Nov 15) is the last day of the promotion, so if you'd like to download it for free I'd love to hear what you have to say about it. I think that there are probably an infinite number of things I could do better. Unfortunately that also means that I could spend forever trying to improve the one book and never get to the next, so as you've probably noticed I'm struggling to find the right balance there. But having a title like I've chosen I'm sure my book will stay hidden until I can make the text inside phenomenal enough that readers go out of there way to share it with others.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:15:59 AM »
5 years is too long for anything but a first book.  That said... Congratulations!  Its awesome you got a book out there.  Keep it up man!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline slrogers

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
In getting some of the reviews back, I obviously didn't spend enough time or money with editors. It's tough having the limited resources of an indi. I am glad, however, that with the e-reader (and even print-on-demand) formats that typographical errors aren't permanent and can be fixed as quickly as they are found. Some errors are harder to fix once the story is sent out. As mentioned earlier, the ease of fixing errors can also create problems, since new mistakes can be added just as easily. Hopefully I've gotten most of these errors now, but please let me know if you see anything that glares at you. I love improving even if it is sometimes somewhat painful finding out how much I have to go.