Author Topic: Smashwords  (Read 2145 times)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Smashwords
« on: August 05, 2014, 04:57:58 AM »
Has anyone here published on Smashwords? How "reputable" is it?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
Re: Smashwords
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:39:58 AM »
Has anyone here published on Smashwords? How "reputable" is it?

I've seen guys who've done it.  Maybe PM Panesgrey, I know he's used it as has my brother.  Its been around for a while and as far as newish online providers its fairly reputable.  It'll get you on their site and the other major providers of e-books and they only charge 10% for their end, inaddition to whatever the other people they help get you on in addition their site charge.

Personally I've made the decision that going Amazon exclusive will be better for me so I don't use it.  But I know Chris Nuttal's used it.  No one I've talked to has complained.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:36:32 AM »
OK, thanks.

Offline LDWriter2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Musings of L.E.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 02:55:59 AM »
I have two story sets and a novel on smashwords.  So far they are doing everything they say they would do. My sets and novel are on the sites they said they would be on along with Smashwords--for their premium catalog that is. 

I know of pro writers who use it. So far they are living up to their word.
Working on Turning Lead into Gold

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
Late to the party...

Anyway, I loaded my novella up to Amazon, Nook and Smashwords. 

I use scrivener and it does a great job into compiling the work into a MOBI and EPUB format.  Sometimes you'll see the odd format blurp, like an extra blank line or something... but generally those two come out pretty well.

Smashwords... well, you dump your text file into their "meatgrinder" and it converts the file into all the formats they use... I've been extremely underwhelmed by the end results.

As for sales, the vast majority of mine have come from Amazon, maybe 10-15% from Nook... and not a darn thing from smashwords.  I'll still load to it, but basically as an afterthought.