Author Topic: Houserule proposal: first Rote spells in scene give no default stress  (Read 20547 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Houserule proposal: first Rote spells in scene give no default stress
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Yea my GM just told me that. God, fuck that option. I'll stay at even or positive discipline practitioners. 
I value Control over Power as well. A weapon:12 nuke isn't going to help you if your 4 shift attack roll misses.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
I value Control over Power as well. A weapon:12 nuke isn't going to help you if your 4 shift attack roll misses.

Nukes do a lot of collateral damage. FALL OUT BABY!
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline killking72

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2014, 10:07:37 PM »

Yup, get more bang for your buck. +1 conviction gives you the exact same damage as +1 discipline, but +1 discipline also increases your chance to hit.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2014, 10:10:44 PM »
Yup, get more bang for your buck. +1 conviction gives you the exact same damage as +1 discipline, but +1 discipline also increases your chance to hit.
Though at some point, it helps to raise power as well, since you can increase the power without risk. I feel that having power trail 2 shifts behind control is a good bet, because the chance for fallout/backlash is minimal, while the spell will still be pretty powerful.

Nukes do a lot of collateral damage. FALL OUT BABY!
It's all fun and games, until you remember you look ridiculous without eyebrows. :P

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »

While true, what makes wizard spells insanely powerful is the ability to add "outcome" shifts by just taking more mental stress.  Why reserve all the fun of that to non-rote spells :).   Yeah, you want to crank that discipline up there, but you those higher boxes on your conviction stress chart are like free "bang" as long as you aren't so far behind your discipline that you start taking consequences making use of them when drawing power.

I mean, wizards ALSO can get a +4 to hit with a focus item, where the best a stunt can add is +1.  But the equivalent of just drawing an extra 3 power over conviction (checking 4th stress box instead of 1st) is a stunt AND a fate point (Deadly Blow).  And you can do both, with no extra skill investment needed beyond lore to improve the max quality of your foci.

Offline potestas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2014, 11:48:57 PM »
Though at some point, it helps to raise power as well, since you can increase the power without risk. I feel that having power trail 2 shifts behind control is a good bet, because the chance for fallout/backlash is minimal, while the spell will still be pretty powerful.
It's all fun and games, until you remember you look ridiculous without eyebrows. :P
also blocks and effects are determined by power so you still need power close just in you want to create aspecs for tagging

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:26 PM »
also blocks and effects are determined by power so you still need power close just in you want to create aspecs for tagging
True. Though that's actually a rule I never really liked. Sure, I'll need to put in some power to hold off something, but finesse should play just as much a role, which at the moment it doesn't really do. My alternate evocation rules addressed that, but I never got around to test them.