Author Topic: Silly Running Water/Magic question  (Read 2182 times)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Silly Running Water/Magic question
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »
Will Running Water (as we know and understand it) have any effect on Sponsored Magic?  I'd argue Sponsored Magic isn't at least as susceptible as Mortal Magic but can't offer any real rationale other than it's not traditional mortal magic as wizards and the like practice it.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Silly Running Water/Magic question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:06:42 PM »
Running water doesn't just affect mortal magic, though. Ghosts and fae and some vampires also have problems with it. It dissolves the ectoplasmic Harry, for instance, created by Kravos the ghost.
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline Melendwyr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »
Yes.  Just as sunlight isn't a moral force, but an objective cleansing power, running water will erase magical energy no matter its source.
(click to show/hide)

Possibly water magic would not be affected, however, or to a lesser degree. 
(click to show/hide)

Offline Starjammer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »
We know that water-based magic tends to be entropic or transformative in nature and WoJ has hinted that these magics aren't affected by running water, which is why the Fomor use them.  Ramirez and LtW also use water magic and JB has hinted that they'll be shedding more light on this in upcoming books.

Offline Radecliffe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »
We know that water-based magic tends to be entropic or transformative in nature and WoJ has hinted that these magics aren't affected by running water, which is why the Fomor use them.  Ramirez and LtW also use water magic and JB has hinted that they'll be shedding more light on this in upcoming books.

There was a story in Side Jobs where running water affected the heck out of a Formor glamor IIRC. 

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:56:51 PM »
I dont remember it happening in Aftermath, and in Even Hand when they tried the water I thought I remember the Fomor laughing in their face. Also Don't remember Fomor being susceptible to it in Bombshells.

My guess is Fomor have some immunity based on their nature, but most non mortal magic still has to contend with running water, iirc and imo.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 12:02:17 AM »
Not having the book atm, I can't recall any other fomor story in Side Jobs than Aftermath, and I don't remember any running water used...

Aha! Bombshells has a fomor-made veil (and some other plot-relevant fomor magic) being dissolved by running water!

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 12:05:09 AM »
Ok, I don't remember water having much impact in side jobs one way or the other (that's Murphy's story after Changes...she ganked the guy before he really did anything if memory serves).  The fight was in a dark warehouse with mooks armed with shell-guns for the most part.

Even Hand...I kinda remember a scene with sprinklers that didn't do much, but that guy was just walking through the defenses.  If his defenses were water based that might be all the explanation we need.

In Bombshells, the Fomor was using glamors (spirit) and fire (fire...) both of which grounded out normally when he set off sprinklers.  He might have had other magic to use, but resorted to a physical attack instead (which was working rather well for him, actually, so why bothe with magic....)

I think we haven't seen enough Fomor to know very much yet.

Offline Starjammer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 04:20:39 AM »
In Aftermath we only see the Fomor do mind magic before Murphy blows its head off.

In Even Hand we do indeed see Lord Mag walk through sprinklers, shield himself from sustained gunfire and laugh in Marcone's face while making his and Hendricks' weapons fall apart into rust and dust.  That's water-based entropy magic.  The trade-off apparently is that the hex factor is even worse than regular mortal magic.

And solbergb summarized the magic use in Bombshells.

That's all the Fomorian magic we've seen.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »
I would say in general yes Water would affect Sponsored Magic just like normal because, as Melendwyr said, it's an objective Cleansing/Grounding force like Fire or the Sunrise.  That being said, there are ways around it.  It needs to be a fairly stead stream of actual running water. Harry has been able to do tracking spells in modest rain, it hinders but does not completely prevent the spell, just like doing one over the lake is possible but harder.  Water magic could get you around it if you are thematically using actual water manipulation (not sure Carlos' Entropy Magic would give him the same insight).  Strong enough Earth Magic might be able to withstand it; Ley Lines are unhindered by bodies of water, so it would go to the old Mountain vs River/Ocean theme.  If the Earth magic could be channeled deep enough you could claim it's unaffected by the grounding properties of Water.  Exotic enough sources of Power, especially any that grant resistance/immunity to magic, might get around it.  Something like Outsiders, or a magic resistant curse like the Loup Garou, or Soulfire (since its supposed to have more metaphysical Mass, etc).
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain