Author Topic: Sponsored Magic and Refinement  (Read 1918 times)

Offline CrimsonJoker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Sponsored Magic and Refinement
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »
A player in a game I hosted was curious about whether or not Sponsored Magic came with items, and if not whether he could get them with Refinement. I told him yes to the latter but wondered; can someone experienced with their flavor of Sponsored use Refinement beside this. They don't really have elements aside from our and don't have bonuses afterall. The book didn't offer an explanation that I could find.

Offline Melendwyr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic and Refinement
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »
My vote is 'no'.  If you don't actually possess any of the powers that grant item slots, you can't gain more through Refinement.  Nor can you gain extra elements (if access to an element is part of the deal) or increased skill.  In a fundamental sense, you aren't the source of the magic, and nothing you personally do can improve it.

If you have those powers, though, and the Sponsored Magic is an extension of your power rather than its source, then sure.

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:15:40 PM »
You might, however, use refresh to buy an Item of Power that enhances your magic. A gift of your station, perhaps.
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:54:15 PM »
A player in a game I hosted was curious about whether or not Sponsored Magic came with items, and if not whether he could get them with Refinement. I told him yes to the latter but wondered; can someone experienced with their flavor of Sponsored use Refinement beside this. They don't really have elements aside from our and don't have bonuses afterall. The book didn't offer an explanation that I could find.
I don't have the specific page, but sponsored magic gives item slots, as long as you don't have evocation/thaumaturgy. Your second question isn't explored in the rules, so it's up to the GM.

Offline CrimsonJoker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »
I imagine it's 2 slots like usual?

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 09:08:21 PM »
It's 4 slots if you have neither, 2 slots if you have one of evocation/thaumaturgy, none if you have both.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »
For your second question, your refinements go into the particular sponsored magic as f it's its own element like you'd do for a focused practitioner.

So you'd add Summer magic to the list of evocation elements and have to choose offensive/defensive power/control for your foci.

You don't get specializations unless you have evocation or thaumaturgy