Author Topic: The Forest People  (Read 2376 times)

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Forest People
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
One of the Faces in my Orlando campaign is Sings to the Heart, a skunk ape (Florida branch of the Forest People) who writes romance novels.

I've looked but I can't find any speculation or write-ups on Forest People in general and Strength of a River in His Shoulders for the DFRPG anywhere. Has anyone tackled this topic?
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline Melendwyr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Forest People
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
I don't think we know about them for anyone to attempt a write-up.  Seriously:  a sentient, mortal race capable of casually moving cars and with immense supernatural abilities that don't work in the same way as (or aren't starting off from the same perspective as) human magic?

We'd probably need new mechanics.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »
I'd say an entirely new system isn't warranted.  Maybe a new power (or a good stunt, even) to represent their skills at counterspelling things.  Otherwise, it's your generic Inhuman/Supernatural layout of powers, with some magical skill (maybe a focus on veiling), and a skill-set that isn't combat-primary in perspective (unless it's (Skin Game)
(click to show/hide)
).  Maybe some claws or something too, I can't remember if the Forest People had them. 
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
Yeah, I don't think they'd be too tricky. Immunity to magic might be warranted. Maybe a custom Stealth Power.

I'll go look on the Spoiler board, see what there is to see.

Okay, here's a thread with some statblocks. I don't think they're very accurate statblocks, though.

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
Hmm. Some sort of custom stealth power seems like a good idea. Maybe a variation of Cloak of Shadows that works in forests instead of shadows? I'm not sure if all Forest People are immune to magic or if that was just... that one special example. Certainly we were shown Forest People scions aren't immune in one of the short stories.

---

To have something put together for now, I went ahead and created a Swamp Ape (Forest Person) with Hulking Size, Supernatural Strength, Supernatural Toughness, Supernatural Recovery, Inhuman Speed, Cloak of the Swamp (like Cloak of Shadows but it works in swamps not the dark), Evocation (elements: earth, water, spirit) and Thaumaturgy (specialization: veils). The Catch was a +1 one that she's vulnerable to chemical attacks. That was a total -22 refresh.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:37:51 PM by JGray »

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:16:58 PM »
Eh, it doesn't look like Cloak of Shadows so much as very good veils, in my opinion.  And I'd also suggest (again) that one just boosts their counterspelling capabilities, as that's what it looks like they do; redirection/counter of the magic sent at them.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:41:51 AM »
Counterspelling can't actually block incoming attacks barring a houserule or a custom Power, though. Seems easier just to use immunity.

As for the stealth...veiling yourself quickly costs mental stress and doesn't last very long. I dunno if what we saw in Skin Game is feasible with spellcasting veils. And Glamours doesn't seem appropriate, since IIRC they never do any other illusion stuff.

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 02:46:59 AM »
Maybe half of glamour? Just the veil aspect of it?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 02:52:59 AM »
I recommended Glamours with a stunt to base it on one of their apex skills... like Endurance to make it an 'innate' ability.  Possibly a stunt to give it a +2 when using it for veils.

Or just give it a +1 to say that it can only do veils, if you don't want to use the other illusion stuff...although, who knows, maybe they can do illusions.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 02:57:27 AM »
But Glamours just lets you use Discipline or Deceit for veils. It doesn't really make you better at staying unnoticed than a high Stealth skill does, it just swaps the skills used and method of concealment. And I don't think that's good enough.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 03:05:26 AM »
Narpheonix did a custom power for Imp that basically worked as a permanent block against perception at a set rate.

It could probably be done with incite effect, actually.

Incite Imperceptibility:  +2 to blocks and maneuvers for not being seen.
Incite Persistent
Incite Defensive (maybe)

You can rack up lots of maneuvers this way, then put a bunch of shifts into duration and tag your maneuvers.  It's looking more and more like a custom power, anyways.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 03:33:15 AM »
Narpheonix did a custom power for Imp that basically worked as a permanent block against perception at a set rate.

Much as I'd like to take credit for that, it wasn't mine. It was on the wiki.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart