Author Topic: Steam punk? What happened to Sci Fi?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
Steam punk? What happened to Sci Fi?
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »
So I'm pretty confused at the moment and I'm hoping I can get some clarification here. The last I heard of Cinder Spires (about 2-3 years ago) it was going to be a science fiction series about a group of people who were trying to keep aliens under wraps because the alien government declared illegal for extra terrestrials to visit earth, and thus all the aliens who DID visit earth were typically criminals intent on causing problems.

Fast forward to now, and suddenly I'm hearing talk of steam punk and airships. While I'm by no means complaining (I love me some steam punk) I do have to wonder what happened to the Sci fi series that was talked about.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Steam punk? What happened to Sci Fi?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »
I remember hearing that there's two different series he wanted to start.  One was sci-fi, and the other steam punk.  I think (but I'm not certain) the sci-fi pitch wasn't polished, but people reacted well to the steam punk idea.  So he went with that one.

I don't think "Cinder Spires" was ever the sci-fi name; i think it was always the steam punk project.  And I'm sure, since what I've heard about CS is that its a trilogy, that in a few more years, he'll be free to work on the sci-fi project.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »
That makes sense, I got the name and the premise switched around. I can't help but be a little disappointed as I was really looking forward to Jim's take on Sci-Fi, but Steampunk still sounds fun.  :)

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
  • RIP Fox Sticking-Tongue out Profile Pic- 2007-2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:13:51 PM »
So I'm pretty confused at the moment and I'm hoping I can get some clarification here. The last I heard of Cinder Spires (about 2-3 years ago) it was going to be a science fiction series about a group of people who were trying to keep aliens under wraps because the alien government declared illegal for extra terrestrials to visit earth, and thus all the aliens who DID visit earth were typically criminals intent on causing problems.

Fast forward to now, and suddenly I'm hearing talk of steam punk and airships. While I'm by no means complaining (I love me some steam punk) I do have to wonder what happened to the Sci fi series that was talked about.

As I recall, that one was called something like U.S. Marshalls.  I guess it didn't pan out?
Pew pew PEW!

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 05:57:55 PM »
I remember hearing that there's two different series he wanted to start.  One was sci-fi, and the other steam punk.  I think (but I'm not certain) the sci-fi pitch wasn't polished, but people reacted well to the steam punk idea.  So he went with that one.

I don't think "Cinder Spires" was ever the sci-fi name; i think it was always the steam punk project.  And I'm sure, since what I've heard about CS is that its a trilogy, that in a few more years, he'll be free to work on the sci-fi project.

I think he has sold a trillogy but has plans for it to run 3 or 6 books depending on how it sells and how the publishing house feels about it.  Which how he set things up for Codex Alara too.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*