Author Topic: I am dissatisfied with 'Focused Practitioners', particularly Mortimer (spoilers)  (Read 12294 times)

Offline Melendwyr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The fact that Justin DuMorne permitted Harry to use pseudoLatin for his spell activation phrases is also relevant - wizards aren't supposed to be fluent in the language they use for that purpose.

I suspect it's something that Harry can't easily change - that in practice, you can't use French for a particular spell one day and Mandarin the next.

Offline Sammael

• Participant
    • View Profile
I would just go for "Specialized Practioner" as a higher, evolved, form of Focused Practitioner. I´m guessing their going for something like it in the Paranet Papers.

Offline Melendwyr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Note:  the Bigfoot-themed sort stories suggest that what word you use with a spell isn't all that important.  'Smagt' is used for a particular combination of force and air magics.

It's still not clear whether another word could be substituted for that one and have that spell work properly.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
It's explicitly stated a few times that the words you use for an incantation only matter in that they provide some insulation against the power you're trying to channel through your mind. As long as they're disconnected (or you are) enough from your regular language/mindset then you're good to go. Any relationship between one spell and another's incantations comes purely from the Wizard rather than as a rule of magic.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Melendwyr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Yes, but once you've linked a word with a particular spell, can you change that word?  We have no direct evidence or testimony on that (very specific) topic.

Offline solbergb

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Given that Fuego is pseudo-spanish where most of the rest of Harry's stuff is Pseudo-Latin, I'd say changing isn't easy.

Although you know.   Fuego!  Pyrofuego!!   Burn!!!   It can be adjusted at times for your non-rote effects.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Although you know.   Fuego!  Pyrofuego!!   Burn!!!   It can be adjusted at times for your non-rote effects.
Not only that, it works the other way around as well. If you have a rote attack spell weapon:4 named "Fuego", for example, you can easily yell Fuego when doing a weapon:3 spell, or a weapon:9 spell, or a maneuver to set the door on fire, or when throwing around fireballs to put up a block of fireball barrage. Every time you're doing the same thing, throwing around fireballs, so simply "Fuego" will work nicely.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Melendwyr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
In my headcanon, changing the activation word for a spell is something like changing the locks and ignition switch in a car.  It's certainly technically possible, but it's so much work that most of the time the payoff isn't worth the effort, and so no one does it casually.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
An interesting thought: because of how Harry learned to cast spells (apprenticed to Justin DuMorne as a warlock enforcer), it's possible that DuMorne encouraged pseudo-latin or latin in his spells. It didn't appear Harry or Elaine were ever intended to meet the White Council, who hold their official meetings in Latin. Harry showing up there and forced to speak latin might actually cause him to cast a spell instead.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby