Author Topic: Let's Stat Up The Slender Man!  (Read 1748 times)

Offline CrimsonJoker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Let's Stat Up The Slender Man!
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
So, I originally planned a case to start out with my team being attacked by Slender Man and they kill him so that the PI in the group can get his paycheck. I took him out at the last minute and then told them about the original opening, only for them to basically beg for me to put him in. So I slapped together a very slipshod version of him with a really common Catch (Blades) because I couldn't remember that "All demons use holy as a Catch". So! I've got an opportunity to bring him back because I claim that only his shell was destroyed and he was weakened by the sorceror using him as a weapon. Lets stat him up!

He is a Demon who can travel through any and all electronics, as well as being able to jump into the Nevernever through them as well, because he was a creature that was created FROM the internet, via people believing the Something Awful thread on top of the typical Slender Man abilities. How should he be statted?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Stat Up The Slender Man!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »
Not all demons use holy as a catch. Demon could be a catch-all category for various denizens of the NeverNever. I think Holy tends to work because it's faith. You believe it will work. I mean, technically the White Court's Hunger could be considered a demon (it's even kind of described as such) and they aren't damaged by Holy.

As for statting him up, I would give him veils with a limitation of Photography (he can only be seen through photos or video). That means the group will probably run around with high tech gadgets, thus handicapping them if they have a wizard or anybody who can throw serious power. If he'd use it in combat, I'd give him the teleportation power (from the DFRPG wiki) with a limitation of only through electronics. I wouldn't stat up jumping into the NeverNever, as that could be done by invoking his high concept for effect.

I'm not super familiar with Slenderman so I don't know anything else about him other than what I've listed.

For some back story stuff on why his Catch was blades previously but that is changed, it could have to do with who or how he was summoned to fight them the first time. Perhaps it was an imperfect or weak summoned form.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline CrimsonJoker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:17:53 PM »
It was an imperfect form. He was summoned by a Witch from the The Circle who hasn't shown up in person yet (and won't for like four cases) who more than likely summoned a weaker version so she could control him easier.

I also forgot to mention since you brought up that the Catch doesn't have to be Holy; they fought him in an arcade (which didn't last long between Slendy and the Wizard's badly failed attempt at on-the-fly Diabolism to bind him) and one player picked up a light gun and attempted to shoot him with it; he dodged it like any other attack. So light/laser guns affect him like normal. With that train of thought, maybe I could make his catch Magnets or something similar.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 12:51:21 AM »
I know little about the Slender Man, but I can link you to this.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:50:27 AM »
Sancta, I didn't even have to say your name three times. Did someone forget to say it three times to send you back?

;D ;D ;D
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 04:04:34 AM »
bobjob beat me to pointing out that Sanctaphrax has DFRPG intellectus.

I'm not super familiar with the Slender Man mythos, so I can't be too helpful, but I hope you stay true to the character's horror roots. Don't just make him the final boss, or a random encounter or something. A campaign with him as a villain should terrify your players. Don't even have him show up in person for a while. Have them investigate a murder/suicide where one victim ate the other's eyes and then sewed them shut, and then wrote ALWAYS WATCHES, NO EYES on the wall in vitreous fluid or something. Have people/mooks/minions who have been rendered mad by Slendy's influence. Maybe even throw a cult dedicated to him in there, cults are always good. If and when he does show up, don't just make him a brick. Give him insanely powerful Incite Terror, give him Optional Spirit Form so he's hit-and-running people with incorporeality, give him some kind of esoteric Take Out result that lets him make people his Emissaries/minions, Stealth stunts that let him disappear and reappear right behind you pretty much at will, etcetera.

You might not want him to be that central to the story, though.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline firegazer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 08:54:51 PM »
This post is a bit old, but I thought it was amusing, since we had a DFRPG game at GenCon called 'Don't Say a Word.' Slenderman was our main villain, and we do, in fact, have him statted up.

We assumed that the Slenderman was a fetch-like creature a la Proven Guilty. Fetches take the form of popularly frightening figures, so it made sense to us. We didn't make him a faerie-- instead, we made him a spirit from the outer reaches of the Never-Never with fetch-like qualities-- after a bit of time, the fetch started actually BECOMING the thing people were so afraid of, rather than just impersonating it. You could easily stat him as a wyldfae fetch, though, and just make him a particularly inhuman, confusing one.

We statted him according to the power-level of the game, which is generally good policy. That game was an 8-refresh PC game, with 6 PCs, so we didn't go too overboard with him-- he was invisible to adults, but fear-eaters like Malvora could smell his presence, the Sight could pick him out, and people could still aim in his general direction. I believe we added a caveat that one of the adult characters who had been involved in a major fire could see him, too. We gave him all the usual fear-eater abilities, plus Spiderwalk, Worldwalker, Supernatural Speed, and Inhuman Recovery. His Catch was True Courage-- we've mused that House Malvora probably has that Catch as well. In one of our sessions, our Malvora PC decided to try feeding off the Slenderman to steal its reserves of fear and weaken it-- we allowed that, because it was a cool idea.

In a different, long-term home game, we used a Slenderman built for PCs who had reached 11 Refresh at that point, so he was significantly more terrifying. I believe he had Mythic Recovery, among other things, and the ability to keep coming back to the mortal world unless you killed him while he was in his home in the Never-Never-- a pretty scary-ass place, which our GM delighted in describing in lurid detail. While on his home plane, he was visible, at least, but it's hard to scrounge up True Courage on-the-spot. We pretty much had to bring a Knight of the Cross with us to avoid getting smeared.