Author Topic: Picking up and losing powers mid-session  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Picking up and losing powers mid-session
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:16:45 AM »
So, recent events in my game have brought up a question. I know, according to the game book, that picking up powers mid-session means you have to spend fate points equivalent to what you're picking up.

But what about removing powers? One of my players was, up to last night, playing a Knight of the Blackened Denarius, before a reality check hit him in the face, and he dumped the coin (right as he's about to fight -another- Denarian).

He'll be dropping Hellfire, a strength power, and a recovery power.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Picking up and losing powers mid-session
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 04:32:06 AM »
A Denarian giving up his Coin for the purposes of pursuing Redemption is a rare and important occurrence.  There's only been one recorded incident of it happening in the last 2000 years (Sanya).  I would say that would qualify for a Major Milestone, or at least Significant if one wants to be stingy.

While Milestones usually occur at the end of a session they're not required to do so.  Milestones are at "GM's Discretion" and can happen anytime in game that something has happened to justify them.
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:32:55 AM »
While I don't have much experience in  this, I imagine the simplest thing to do would be to give him Fate points equal to the refresh he is dropping.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:45:27 PM »
I'd go with giving him a major milestone, which would reset his refresh to the new level (minus his Denarian powers), giving him plenty of fate points for fighting the Denarian without powers.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:46:33 PM »
Gojj's suggestion was the first thing I thought of as well. I'm not sure if I like the idea of a milestone happening right before a fight, but that could work. Especially as that seems a cool story.

Edit: Huh, odd. gojj and Arcane posted at the same time, as did me and Jack. Interesting. Anyway, to expand on what I said above, gaining powers for a scene requires a fate point per Refresh gained, so it seems fair that it could work backwards - losing them for a scene, so long as they'd actually be relevant, should give fate points (maybe, in this case, representing the "burst" of free will gained after giving up a coin. Defeating the Denarian should probably be enough for a milestone in any case, so he could then reorder his Refresh.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:04:23 PM by Locnil »

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »
Edit: Huh, odd. gojj and Arcane posted at the same time, as did me and Jack. Interesting.
*Cue Twilight Zone Music* You are traveling through another dimension...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:27:02 AM »
I'd give him the FP. That'd be abusable if it set a precedent, but how often are your players going to abandon Denarian coins?

I'd avoid giving one player a milestone without giving the same milestone to everyone.

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:30:42 AM »
I'd be willing to give Fate Points if it happened in-session, but I'd tie them to the character's aspects so effectively it becomes a self-compel.

There's also the option of giving the group a Refresh period after the powers are lost, so everyone gets to top up to their Refresh.