Author Topic: Which Template for an Item of Power empowered character?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline JGray

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Which Template for an Item of Power empowered character?
« on: June 29, 2014, 01:06:10 AM »
One of my players wants to play a character who is a human being with an Item of Power. The item will turn her into a house cat. My question is, is there a template that fits this concept? None of them seem quite right.

* Pure human seems out because the character has an item of power and, therefore, a magical ability (even if it can be removed).
* Minor talent doesn't seem right because the item of power will probably cost more than -1 or -2 refresh.
* Emissary of Power doesn't seem right because there's no indication that having the item means the character works for someone.
* Were-form doesn't seem right because this is from an item and not an internal power.

So, what do y'all think? Any help is appreciated.
Ray of Sunshine , a Dresden Files RPG Campaign.

Occult Orlando, setting for Ray of Sunshine.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Which Template for an Item of Power empowered character?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:11:05 AM »
I view the templates more like suggestions rather than rules. If you can't find a fitting template, create one for yourself, or just don't bother with calling it a template at all. Just build the character the way you see fit.
I don't think I've seen a pure template character in a very long time, anyway. :D

The only important thing is the pure mortal template, really, as it grants you bonus refresh for not taking any power. But as you rightly said, an Item of Power still counts as a power, so that one is out of the question.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline AstronaughtAndy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Which Template for an Item of Power empowered character?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:22:25 AM »
I agree. Make your own or skip the template altogether. Your Story pretty explicitly says the templates in the book are just suggestions.