Author Topic: Grand Unifying Cosmological Mantle Theory [Series spoilers including MM WoJs]  (Read 31162 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Bottom Line Up Front:  (BLUF)
All "Lesser Mantles" (sub universal cosmic power level) are actually quasi discrete Aspects/Emanations of the great universal cosmic powers.  Free Will is the force that differentiates the manifestation of these sub-mantles.

So a lot of my heavy lifting theories lately have been shaped by what I consider "Mantle Theory" and "DF Cosmology."  This topic is an attempt to consolidate all the major foundational ideas I have relating to these two concepts and how they tie together.  I'm still doing some tweeking edits to the post, even to the above summary statement of the theory.

What Jim has said about DF Cosmology:
Jim has said the "Dresden Files universe exists in a big, wide, spectral multi-verse.  It's not like there's parallel Earths. There's an entire broadcast spectrum of parallel Earths."WoJ #1  He has also said that the MM alternate reality is different "because of the big decision from at the end of Grave Peril.  And you will get to see how his world is different because of that."WoJ #2 

Mortal decisions cause the splitting of alternate universes
Jim has discussed "other earths that exist in the continuum of possibility created by free will,"WoJ #3 and that "[Free will is] what divides mortals, human beings, from everybody else.  Is that we're the ones that have elements of both good and evil inside us, we're the ones who get to chose what to do.  And because that's who we are, we make the world around us through those choices.  The forces of the universe, these cosmic forces are always balanced against one another, and we're the ones who can tilt that see-saw one way or another with our actions."WoJ #4  (WoJ #10 also reiterates this stuff) 

Jim has strong influences from Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber which have a more explicit "broadcast spectrum" of realities
Jim said that the scene where Harry lead his friends through the NN to get to Chichen Itza was "largely lifted from Zelazny's Amber books."WoJ #5   He has also talked a great deal about his involvement with "AmberMUSH" around the time he first started writing, spending vast amounts of time writing shared experience "stories" with other online "adventurers."  Iago even says that he sees strong influences between some of the characters Jim used to write for that and some of the characters in the DF."WoJ" #6 

Upon reading that, I actually picked up a copy of the Chronicles of Amber and read them for the fun of reading a new series, and for any possible insights on the DF.  Here is a quick and dirty explanation of their cosmology, spoilerized in case you don't want it spoiled, and to trim down the size of the post slightly.

(click to show/hide)

Gnostic parallels:
I have never heard Jim mention gnosticism, however, the little bit I know about it reminds me a bit of some of the Amber Chronicles as though it could be some of the influences to that cosmology.  My understanding of gnosticism influences my personal attempts at trying to interpret what is going on in DF cosmology and what I call "Mantle Theory."  Because it could get bulky, and might not interest some, I'll wrap it in spoilers.

(click to show/hide)

"The forces of the universe, these cosmic forces":
Interestingly, in another answer in the same WoJ where Jim discussed "other earths that exist in the continuum of possibility created by free will,"WoJ #3 Jim discussed the effects of the Oblivion War on beings that are banished to Oblivion and said, "what changes really isn't the actual beings. It's our understanding of who and what they are"WoJ #7 which sounds rather contradictory.  But to me this seems to work out if we consider these "forces of the universe/cosmic forces" as multiverse spanning.  And thus free willed choices end up changing how they manifest/are perceived upon the various alternative realities. 

So can we come up with an ID of an actual being mentioned/encountered in the actual books that qualifies as truly being one of these universal/cosmic forces?  Welllll, we have a WoJ that seems to hint that the Fae Mothers, Dragons, and Uriel could be because they could damage our reality if they were to fully manifest in it.WoJ #8  But even better, if you are convinced like I am that the Blackstaff is Mother Winter's lost walking stick, then the WoJ that states that it is "tapped into like some serious elemental powers in the universe"WoJ #9 is a giant flashing sign stating "here be a phenomenal cosmic power!" pointed at Mother Winter.

Edit:  TheCuriousFan helped me find a WoJ that I suspected existed, but that I was having the dickens of a time finding.  I interpret it as explicitly stating that angels operate across all possible realities.WoJ #10

"Lesser Mantles":
Ok, so maybe Mother Winter is multiverse spanning, what about all these other mantles running about, apparently IN OUR REALITY on Halloween and such. 
Well I have two not necessarily mutually exclusive explanations for that.  This is where the "Cosmology Theory" meets the "Mantle Theory"

Limited presence
When Ferrovax showed up in GP, he basically said he was limiting his presence on our plane, and WoJ #9 backs that up.  I'm betting the other entities mentioned in that WoJ also only appear in this fashion.  And that WoJ implies that other entities that behave this way probably are on a similar plane.

Aspects
IMO, this is where the theorizing truly gets interesting.  One of the key points of the above summary on gnosticism is that a trait of the higher echelon beings is that they emanate lesser beings that are aspects of themselves.  And that this goes down all the way until eventually we get mankind.  And applying Jim's comments about Free Will causing the various alternate realities to manifest,WoJ's 3, 4 and 10 and that the cosmic powers themselves don't change, just our perceptions of them,WoJ #7 I'll go so far as to say that it is Free Will that causes the differentiation/emanation of Aspects that manifest in these spectrum alternate realities. 

So using the term aspect, here is the main summarization of this whole theory topic:

All "Lesser Mantles" (sub universal cosmic power level) are actually quasi discrete Aspects/Emanations of the great universal cosmic powers.  Free Will is the force that differentiates the manifestation of these sub-mantles.

Edit:  I decided to make a grand conclusive "theory" exclamation above, and then I split off some of the derived theorizing into reply #2, and I intend to do some further work there.

Edit2:  Henceforth in this post, I will probably start using the acronym "GUCMT" (Grand Unifying Cosmological Mantle Theory) to refer to the above bolded summation of this theory. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:27:33 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
WoJs
(click to show/hide)

Excerpts
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:17:28 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
I'm putting the below sections into spoiler code to make it more modular and less daunting.

GUCMT Applied to the Fae Courts:
(click to show/hide)

Further theorizing on Free Will's roll in GUCMT:
Summary conclusion of the below theorizing:
Free Will is what decides how aspects of a particular universal cosmic power manifest (I.E. what form the mantles take) and what their prominence is within that reality.
Edit May, 2016:  There is a new section to the next response in this topic that further addresses Free Willed Lesser beings wielding Higher Power -Serack   
(click to show/hide)

Fae in the NN and Harry's reality are neighboring realities in the GUCMT reality spectrum:
(click to show/hide)

Now a pause for a non DF quote that I think is pretty freaking awesome, and perspective granting.

Quote from: II Kings 2:8-15
8Elijah took his mantle, rolled it up and struck the water with it. The water divided to the right and to the left, and the two of them crossed over on dry ground. 9When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?”
 “Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied.
 10“You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah said, “yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise, it will not.”
 11As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. 12Elisha saw this and cried out, “My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!” And Elisha saw him no more. Then he took hold of his garment and tore it in two.
 13Elisha then picked up Elijah’s mantle that had fallen from him and went back and stood on the bank of the Jordan. 14He took the mantle that had fallen from Elijah and struck the water with it. “Where now is the Lord, the God of Elijah?” he asked. When he struck the water, it divided to the right and to the left, and he crossed over.
 15The company of the prophets from Jericho, who were watching, said, “The spirit of Elijah is resting on Elisha.” And they went to meet him and bowed to the ground before him.

Ok, with that fun quote out of the way, there is another detail about how we have seen Mantles in the DF manifest that we can apply GUCMT to. 

How does GUCMT apply to multiple mantles possessed by a single entity:
(click to show/hide)

Replies 36 and 40 are posts I made that examine mortal's free will exerting power of a higher being upon the mortal realm.  Edit May 2016: I really worked hard to flesh out this concept in a detailed edit to the next reply.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:02:26 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Here is a topic I made about a year ago that discusses some of the attributes of DF cosmology from the perspective I had back then
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,38493.0.html

Below are thoughts put down 1/30/2015 on this topic that kind of bring some of this together to a slightly different focal point. -Serack

The earlier concluding statement was:
Free Will is what decides how aspects of a particular universal cosmic power manifest (I.E. what form the mantles take) and what their prominence is within that reality.   
I would like to further this thought by saying that it seems to follow that if there are echelons of aspects of a "universal cosmic power" then the greater the echelon of a manifestation, the more realities it spans (and thus the more it could break/warp an individual reality who's course has been determined by free will).  The lesser aspects of this power would thus span a lesser portion of the "spectrum" of realities.

This is why the "Ladies" are the queens closest to our reality.  They do not have as significant a presence across a multiplicity of realities, but are a portion of the "Universal Cosmic Power's" identity upon a more singular reality.  And they have more influence at that "ground level" for a reality because their free will is more intact.

Interestingly, the levels of complexity that Demonreach had to dumb down for Bob to get, and then Bob had to dumb down further for Harry to get probably mean that Demonreach is a touchstone that spans all these realities.  I like to think that when Harry climbs down all those steps into the Well, he is truly going down the rabbit hole into a pocket dimension that spans all possible realities (Probably associated with one of the pools at the bottom of one of the roots of Yggdrasil, but that's really tying stuff together on a meta level)

Thoughts dated May 2016 developed in a separate topic and ported here -Serack
Instances of Greater Powers being wielded by lesser, free willed beings to affect change on reality
Edit:  The purpose of this topic grew a bit to become instances of Greater Powers being wielded by lesser, free willed beings to affect change on reality.  I'd say that the Demoreach and Odin sections are the most well fleshed out and significant.

In the free will section of GUCMT topic I stated:  "Part of my application of GUCMT is that past big shakeups involved similar Free Will fulcrums.  Things like Winter taking over at the Outer Gates and the apparent shuffling of power when The White Christ was around."

The events of Skin Game, notably Hade's arsenal getting recirculated seems to re-emphasize this.  Over and over, I see Objects of Power that are tied to aspects of Greater Beings "falling" into the hands of mortals.  It is my opinion that these objects require the free will of their Wielder to affect change on the mortal plane.  I'll make a list below of "Objects" (some aren't necessarily embodied by a physical object) that seem to be tied to Greater Powers, but require a Free Willed wielder. 
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:19:10 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Note:  I intend to add a section in reply #2 that expands the theorizing of Free Will's role in GUCMT.  I already edited in some of the ground work into the end of the main post.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Note:  I intend to add a section in reply #2 that expands the theorizing of Free Will's role in GUCMT.  I already edited in some of the ground work into the end of the main post.
By the way, if you need more consecutive responses for the theory, let me know, and I'll remove my post and add it back when you're done.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
By the way, if you need more consecutive responses for the theory, let me know, and I'll remove my post and add it back when you're done.

Hmmm, I hadn't been worried about that until you commented.  Considering Reply #2 is already at 7.5k/20k allowed and I am working on building two involved additions to it, maybe we should do that just in case. 

Please please please save your comments though and repost them or a new version of them.  They are quite thought invoking, and are certainly helping me work on this theory and make it more robust.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Transplant complete!

1) Is each Mantle an individual Aspect/Aeon?
2) Clearly Vadderrung has two different Mantles, and they remain separate from each other.  They don't seem to manifest at the same time, but they're held by the same being.  Is their compatibility due to their varied nature, and the WK/SK incompatibility due to their similar, opposing nature?   
3) Are human Souls a Mantle? From a certain viewpoint, a mortal shell/being is given an immortal power source to use for a time, and when the shell dies, the power source departs, continuing to exist elsewhere.  Its almost like a Mantle, albeit not apparently reused, at least in some beliefs.
4) If a Soul is an Aeon/Aspect, then wouldn't it mean that it would remain separate from the Mantle, and not be destroyed?  There's been speculation by some that a host's Soul is slowly absorbed by the Queens Mantles, merging with them.  But the Aeon/Aspect theory combined with the dual nature of Vadderrung's Mantles would imply that Aeons coexist and remain separate.  Would that be the same for Souls, or are those Aeon's too weak to survive alone?  I think there was a WoJ talking about how Mab lost her Soul.  Did it just move on, since the Mantle Aeon pushed it out?
5) So Mister is Ferro?  j/k
6) Seriously, why hasn't Harry used Mister in a joke yet?  "Mister Dresden?" "Mister Dresden is my cat.  Call me Harry."
7) Could the inherent incompatibility of the W/S Mantles be due to the fact they were one Aeon/Aspect, which was then unnaturally divided into six/eight, rather than "pooping" out sub-Aspects?  And if re-merging the WK/SK Mantles is such a bad thing, wouldn't it have been almost as bad for the SK Mantle to go to Winter in SK?  For that matter, any of the six/eight Fae Mantles joining with any of the opposing side would be bad.
8) Souls are the perfect memories and sums of the lives they've led.  But the mortal isn't aware or familiar with that perfect knowledge, nor even sure of its existence.  Could the same be said for the Mantles/Aeons and their hosts?  Upper echelon Aeons like Uriel might be self-aware of their Aeon/Aspect power and existence, explaining their inability to act; becoming aware of the situation in some way would limit their interaction.  The Queens are partly aware, on three different levels, which allows for them to interact with events on three different levels.  Mortals, being the least aware, are free to act.
9) In that sense, the whole purpose of mortals is to be the foot soldiers and pawns of upper level Aeons.  Since they are unable to act, everything has to be fought on mortal plane.  Obviously some battles are on other planes, like the Gates in the NN, but the eternal struggle between the two Poles is not fought at the wall, but on Earth.  The wall and Gates are simply to keep the game board from being overrun.
10) How does corruption play into the Aeon/Aspect theory?  If TWG is one Pole, or so high/close to the 'Order' Pole that Its practically the same thing, then everything It created/"pooped" would be a lighter/ordered Aspect like itself.  But clearly higher level Aeon/Aspects can be corrupted, like Lucifer.  Luci should have been very high up on the Lightside, but Fell to the Darkside.  Was that corruption due to something like Nemesis, or an inherent ability of Aeons/Aspects to change?
11) In SG, Uriel gave up his Grace, which in this theory, would be the equivalent of his Aeon.  Had Michael acted poorly while wielding it, what would have happened to the Grace/Aeon?  It doesn't seem like an Aeon could be destroyed, so it would have to go somewhere.  Would it simply Fall to where Lucifer and the other Fallen Aeons are kept?  Would Uriel remain a mortal, bearing only a mortal Soul?  Would he have no Soul?  And what about Luci?  When he Fell, did he take on a mortal form, to live out his days as a human, and his Aeon/Mantle/Grace was put away in a lockbox?  Or was did his Soul remain with the Aeon/Mantle/Grace? 
12) Is it the Soul that can be corrupted, rather than a higher level Aeon/Mantle/Grace?  Do all beings, high and low, have a base ingredient Soul, which can be manipulated?  And that Soul is what causes higher beings to Fall?  In theory, to be mortal, Uriel would have to have a mortal Soul.  If he had one, then Lucifer should have too, right?  So is that Soul still tied to the Aeon/Mantle/Grace of Lucifer wherever it is?  Is that twisted Soul what is causing the Grace to act out of character?  And if it were separated, would the Aeon/Mantle/Grace appear to be corrupted/Fallen, or would it return to its normal Lightside state?
13) Or did Uriel separate himself from his Grace on purpose, knowing that if he Fell, the Aeon/Mantle/Grace would remain unblemished, while only his mortal Soul would Fall?  If so, is the issue with the Fallen that they didn't separate from their Aeon/Mantle/Grace before being corrupted?  And is that corruption in both Soul and Grace, or only the Soul?  And would both need to be redeemed, or only one?  Clearly Uriel could separate from his Grace, but maybe he couldn't have separated Lucifer from his; its a decision of Self.  That would mean that if the Soul of Lucifer decided to relinquish its hold on its higher level Aeon/Mantle/Grace, would that power be restored to the Lightside, and could it be re-assigned to a new Soul?  A new Lucifer, on the side of good?
14) Taking it the other way, are the Outsiders upper level Aeons working without Souls, which is why they can't exist or interact with the mortal plane?  They should be restricted from reality, and unable to work there, just like the other Aeons.  But their nature is Chaos, from the other Pole, and therefore not following the rules is their natural state.  So if they get through, they would be pure Aeons existing where they shouldn't?

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
[response transplant complete] :)

Heh, looks like you've been working on that response for a while :) 

I was already working on applying "GUCMT" to your #2 when you posted it.  I spent 5 hours last night cobbling these thoughts together from various lesser thoughts I have published in the past, and a collection of WoJ's I had squirreled away specifically for this Grand Theory topic. 

Now that I've gotten some sleep, I'm reexamining it and I decided to split off some of the applications into a new post, and expand that post to include some theorizing about multiple mantles on a single entity. 

By the way, since you've probably been working on your response for a while, be sure to review the major summary of the theory located at the top and bottom of the OP. (and my defining the acronym "GUCMT" to make for easier communication)

I'm still massaging this "Grand Theory" a bit.  And now to finish reading your response, and then work on the topic some more... or step away from the computer and do RL stuff :)
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
I think I'm currently stuck on a Cosmic Great Oak analogy for the Order pole of the dipole. 

(click to show/hide)

The point of that is that these Aeons/Mantles/Graces are nothing more than a part of the whole. 
(click to show/hide)

How does that analogy work into multiverse theory? 
(click to show/hide)

My only issue with the Dipole analogy is that it implies Balance.  I'm not sure that's the case.  Is your theory that the Outsiders are from the second Pole?  The unreality to reality?  The Chaos to Order?   Because I don't feel like they can be True Chaos.  If they were, the universes would be in really bad shape.

Chaos
(click to show/hide)

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
My only issue with the Dipole analogy is that it implies Balance.  I'm not sure that's the case.  Is your theory that the Outsiders are from the second Pole?  The unreality to reality?  The Chaos to Order?   Because I don't feel like they can be True Chaos.  If they were, the universes would be in really bad shape.

Heh, I get around that problem by saying that the Dipole analogy is just an imperfect model that can be used to try to examine certain relationships, but does not cover the whole cosmology by itself. 

Kind of like how Newtonian physics is a model that allows us to examine how reality works in most but not all situations.  Or maybe even more accurately, kind of like how a true electric dipole doesn't exist in isolation but is in fact surrounded by the rest of the universe's charge distribution.  However we can still learn a lot about how electromagnetism works by examining a dipole model.

Edit:  I also described a different model, that IMO does a slightly better job of being inclusive of other possibilities, but is flawed in being difficult to communicate and visualize, and not necessarily being grounded in what actually exists in the DF seeing as to how we don't really know anyways.

As to where Outsiders fall in the model.  I'd say we need more data.  However, when I read the scene where Hades' crown was mordite orbiting his head, I filed that away as an incredibly interesting data point.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:36:40 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Ok, now to address Griff's points directly.

Transplant complete!

1) Is each Mantle an individual Aspect/Aeon?
I liked using the term "quasi discrete" because they still have ties back to upper tier Aspect/Aeon and to their sibling (for lack of a better term) Aspect/Aeons.  Sorry that's kind of a non answer...

2) Clearly Vadderrung has two different Mantles, and they remain separate from each other.  They don't seem to manifest at the same time, but they're held by the same being.  Is their compatibility due to their varied nature, and the WK/SK incompatibility due to their similar, opposing nature?
Interesting question.  I actually have a side/related theory that the Odin/Kringle duality was needed because when Mab took over at the Outer Gates the action offended (I am a fan of the theories that the Aesir were the guardians before the Fae).  The duality ended up becoming necessary to allow a pissed off Odin to set that grudge aside when necessary by putting on a faerie hat of his own.  Thus when it comes time to take care of business that reality hinges on and stuff, he has a tool in his toolbox that makes that possible.

Quote from: SG Ch. 44
"You're here as Kringle, seriously?"  I asked him.
Kringle winked at me.  "The Winter Knight called for me in his official capacity as an agent of the Winter Court.  Mab has the right to summon Kringle.  If she'd called for Vadderung, I'd have told her to get in line."
[/snip]
"But you and Kringle are the same person," I said.
"Legally speaking, Kringle and Vadderung are two entirely different people who simply happen to reside in the same body," he replied.
"That's just a fiction," I said, "a little game of protocol."
"Little games of protocol are how one shows respect, especially to those with whom on does not get along famously well. It can be tedious, but generally is less trouble than a duel would be."

So either the powers that be allowed a little bit of Fae Power to get fashioned into an extra bit of mantle to placate Odin for whatever causes him to not get along famously well with Mab over, or Mortal Belief provided the framework for that odd bit of duality, or Odin sliced it off himself on Halloween or some such to please his own needs, or some combination of those... but somehow he got it, and it sure seems to suit his purposes when he wants.

I'll post this and then start editing in my responses for the rest of your comments.

3) Are human Souls a Mantle? From a certain viewpoint, a mortal shell/being is given an immortal power source to use for a time, and when the shell dies, the power source departs, continuing to exist elsewhere.  Its almost like a Mantle, albeit not apparently reused, at least in some beliefs.
Hmmm, deep.  And apparently the kind of question the gnostics loved to examine.  In fact, I believe for some of them, they believed that upon death, the soul was finally released from the imperfect and impure mortal reality and was finally allowed to reunite with the upper levels of existence. 

So I'd say this certainly seems like a valid interpretation of GUCMT, but that we can't really be sure of the true nature of the soul.

4) If a Soul is an Aeon/Aspect, then wouldn't it mean that it would remain separate from the Mantle, and not be destroyed?  There's been speculation by some that a host's Soul is slowly absorbed by the Queens Mantles, merging with them.  But the Aeon/Aspect theory combined with the dual nature of Vadderrung's Mantles would imply that Aeons coexist and remain separate.  Would that be the same for Souls, or are those Aeon's too weak to survive alone?  I think there was a WoJ talking about how Mab lost her Soul.  Did it just move on, since the Mantle Aeon pushed it out?
Hmmmm, I know you are familiar with WoJ #14 which is the best I have for answering this train of thought.  I think a better analogy for what may have happened to Mab's Soul would be that it withered and died due to maltreatment/malnourishment or something... 

Interestingly, we have a WoJ that the fundamental reason why Harry couldn't have ended up with Maeve's Lady mantle isn't just that he isn't the right gender, but because as a vessel for mantles, his is too full.  I'll have to add that to the multiple mantle section of reply #2.

5) So Mister is Ferro?  j/k
6) Seriously, why hasn't Harry used Mister in a joke yet?  "Mister Dresden?" "Mister Dresden is my cat.  Call me Harry."
How have I never heard that one before?  Hillarious.

7) Could the inherent incompatibility of the W/S Mantles be due to the fact they were one Aeon/Aspect, which was then unnaturally divided into six/eight, rather than "pooping" out sub-Aspects?  And if re-merging the WK/SK Mantles is such a bad thing, wouldn't it have been almost as bad for the SK Mantle to go to Winter in SK?  For that matter, any of the six/eight Fae Mantles joining with any of the opposing side would be bad.
I spent some time answering this in the multiple mantles section of Reply #2.  I think I came up with an excellent response.

8) Souls are the perfect memories and sums of the lives they've led.  But the mortal isn't aware or familiar with that perfect knowledge, nor even sure of its existence.  Could the same be said for the Mantles/Aeons and their hosts?  Upper echelon Aeons like Uriel might be self-aware of their Aeon/Aspect power and existence, explaining their inability to act; becoming aware of the situation in some way would limit their interaction.  The Queens are partly aware, on three different levels, which allows for them to interact with events on three different levels.  Mortals, being the least aware, are free to act.
I'm not sure what I am supposed to be answering here...  Generally for GUCMT, it seems that the more powerful the being, the more reality spanning, and more aware of their spanning of the reality spectrum.  I do like how this ties the non wetware storage of mortal experiences to GUCMT though.  I would say that the more powerful beings (I'll use that term for Mantles/Aeon's and their hosts together) apparently have access to this data storage.  Either by watching it play across a Ghosts being, or some other means like with Lasciel's shadow.

Interestingly enough, a freaking Soul Gaze does this.  That's right a Soul Gaze ties neatly into GUCMT.  In fact, the Molly Soul Gaze is a perfect example of how a Soul Gaze can look across possible future realities to show how her decisions could result in her becoming a different person.  And it gets etched into Harry's memory. 

9) In that sense, the whole purpose of mortals is to be the foot soldiers and pawns of upper level Aeons.  Since they are unable to act, everything has to be fought on mortal plane.  Obviously some battles are on other planes, like the Gates in the NN, but the eternal struggle between the two Poles is not fought at the wall, but on Earth.  The wall and Gates are simply to keep the game board from being overrun.
10) How does corruption play into the Aeon/Aspect theory?  If TWG is one Pole, or so high/close to the 'Order' Pole that Its practically the same thing, then everything It created/"pooped" would be a lighter/ordered Aspect like itself.  But clearly higher level Aeon/Aspects can be corrupted, like Lucifer.  Luci should have been very high up on the Lightside, but Fell to the Darkside.  Was that corruption due to something like Nemesis, or an inherent ability of Aeons/Aspects to change?
Meh, this gets kinda deep, and I'm not sure if I can address it.  In the Amber Chronicles, it becomes an issue that at one point there was only one pole, and a prince of that pole actually struck out across reality and established the other pole, and somehow that act is what instituted all other reality.  And part of the nature of the original pole is the need to destroy and subsume the opposite pole.  But wait, if that were to happen, all reality would be destroyed.  But then how could it have been established in the first place. And the egg and chicken need to be destroyed (that's me taking the conundrum and getting silly)

So maybe things weren't interesting until the "Fall" anyways.  And maybe because they weren't interesting, they were unstable and the "Fall" was an inherent characteristic of this instability. 

I'm not sure where corruption comes in in this, although in the Amber Chronicles, there was a major plot line where the Chaosians cut the crap and blazed a corrupted trail across all reality in an attempt to assault Amber directly. 

And that I am not limiting my internal model to a binary duality of the universal cosmic forces like in the Amber Dipole Model.

Time to walk the dog, I'll edit in more responses later.

11) In SG, Uriel gave up his Grace, which in this theory, would be the equivalent of his Aeon.  Had Michael acted poorly while wielding it, what would have happened to the Grace/Aeon?  It doesn't seem like an Aeon could be destroyed, so it would have to go somewhere.  Would it simply Fall to where Lucifer and the other Fallen Aeons are kept?  Would Uriel remain a mortal, bearing only a mortal Soul?  Would he have no Soul?  And what about Luci?  When he Fell, did he take on a mortal form, to live out his days as a human, and his Aeon/Mantle/Grace was put away in a lockbox?  Or was did his Soul remain with the Aeon/Mantle/Grace? 
Hmmmm, well seeing as to how it was a Mortal who would have made the critical decisions, it might only apply to the local reality or set of realities.  Or since it's involving such a heavyweight "Aeon" it might span a lot more if not all of the reality spectrum.  As to what would have happened to the mantle and Uriel, I suppose that would depend entirely on how things shook down.  Which means Jim would have to write it and see.

As for Lucifer, I think he didn't split from his mantle.  The Angelic mantles are a little odd to me...  Are Rafael's lieutenants emanations of himself, or were they created from whole cloth when Rafael was created by or emanated from the Creator?  And thus could Lucifer poop out sub mantles like seems to have happened to the Fae left and right. 

The best example we have of "lesser" fallen effecting the mortal realm are the Denarian's who apparently fell along with Lucifer, and then much later in some major turning point event (probably hinging on Free Will, like the choice to betray the White Christ) they were bound to the Denarian coins and thus were apparently cast out of Hell, but given a measure of influence over the mortal realm. 

Oh.  Hey look at that!  We have a rather recent example of one of those emanating out a hybrid aspect with a relatively significant Mortal.  And hints of something similar happening in the past (Bob).

12) Is it the Soul that can be corrupted, rather than a higher level Aeon/Mantle/Grace?  Do all beings, high and low, have a base ingredient Soul, which can be manipulated?  And that Soul is what causes higher beings to Fall?  In theory, to be mortal, Uriel would have to have a mortal Soul.  If he had one, then Lucifer should have too, right?  So is that Soul still tied to the Aeon/Mantle/Grace of Lucifer wherever it is?  Is that twisted Soul what is causing the Grace to act out of character?  And if it were separated, would the Aeon/Mantle/Grace appear to be corrupted/Fallen, or would it return to its normal Lightside state?
Hmmmmm...  I'm not sure what to say about the Soul/Mantle comments other than your pointing out that Uriel seemed to be able to differentiate between his Grace and his personhood(soul?) which is good evidence that they were separate. 

I will say that nobody seemed worried that the nemfection would pass from Maeve to Molly with that mantle though...  Heck... ok with that perspective we might be able to make some applications of GUCMT... We know the cosmic powers can't change... Although how they manifest or are understood can change.  And Per GUCMT, part of how they manifest is the emanation of Aspects.  Mostly it would seem that those Aspects/Mantles only change in how much influence they end up having due to Free Will choices, and they probably can't change much without getting reabsorbed back into the upper echelon Aspect first, although that isn't a sure thing... Still if we assume that, and we assume that Archangels have personhoods that can be held distinct from their power/Aeon/Grace/Mantle, then a Fallen Angel's internal change and corruption is probably only only associated with that distinct personhood, and not the actual Mantle itself.

Which isn't to say that the power of the mantle isn't now being used by that corrupted being for some gawd awful stuff.  A hammer can be used to build a house or bash heads in.

13) Or did Uriel separate himself from his Grace on purpose, knowing that if he Fell, the Aeon/Mantle/Grace would remain unblemished, while only his mortal Soul would Fall?  If so, is the issue with the Fallen that they didn't separate from their Aeon/Mantle/Grace before being corrupted?  And is that corruption in both Soul and Grace, or only the Soul?  And would both need to be redeemed, or only one?  Clearly Uriel could separate from his Grace, but maybe he couldn't have separated Lucifer from his; its a decision of Self.  That would mean that if the Soul of Lucifer decided to relinquish its hold on its higher level Aeon/Mantle/Grace, would that power be restored to the Lightside, and could it be re-assigned to a new Soul?  A new Lucifer, on the side of good?
Sorry, I've spent enough brain power on the angelic grace angle today... *fzut* *sputter* *kaput* overload, no more no more.

14) Taking it the other way, are the Outsiders upper level Aeons working without Souls, which is why they can't exist or interact with the mortal plane?  They should be restricted from reality, and unable to work there, just like the other Aeons.  But their nature is Chaos, from the other Pole, and therefore not following the rules is their natural state.  So if they get through, they would be pure Aeons existing where they shouldn't?

No clue sorry...  My best attempt at interpreting the Outsider role, is that they could be from a separate reality spectrum subject to a totally different form of splitting regulated by something only mildly related to our concept of Free Will.

I am just now reminded of a WoJ I think I heard in the past month or so that I need to hunt down...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:01:57 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline KG

• Participant
    • View Profile
Serack, this is an interesting theory that you have clearly thought about a lot and worked hard to develop.  It's spawned some thoughts I wanted to share, but I haven't spent a lot of time ordering them in a way that I can specifically apply them in parallel to the work you've done, so I'll just drop them as discrete points that might help further the conversation, for now.

George is George, no matter what name you call him.
(click to show/hide)

George isn't a flakey kind of guy.
(click to show/hide)

Pruning the Cosmic Forest
(click to show/hide)

This is all very fascinating.  I have to admit, it made me do a lot of thinking about DF concepts I haven't really considered before.  :)

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Ok, I didn't get to read all of Griff's spoilerized alternate Oak Tree model/analogy earlier.  I like it. 

KG's George concepts are especially thought provoking.  The main place where they break down for me is that one of "Edna's" 6 faces she uses to interface with Harry happens to be his apprentice of several years.  However, I must say that it holds together pretty much as well as my vaunted "GUCMT"

For me, it works best because I feel as though the Mothers are indeed putting on a face when they interact with Harry in order for him to best understand with his limited perceptions what they are.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Brightbane

• Conversationalist
  • Totally obscene.
    • View Profile
This is kind of how Brandon Sanderson's books work. He has the gods that can be fragmented that can then splinter, and are the source of souls in entire worlds. And then he has characters that can travel between the worlds.
Bob started tittering. "Look out! Look out for that vicious mega-squirrel, boss!" He said, hardly able to speak clearly. "My gosh! that ficus is about to molest you!"