Author Topic: Ideas for Merlin's agenda as a Demonic-Co-Pilot?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Ghsdkgb

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Ideas for Merlin's agenda as a Demonic-Co-Pilot?
« on: June 19, 2014, 02:47:21 PM »
Me and a player (a non-council wizard) are toying with the idea of having a shade of Merlin ride around in his head (a small part, one of many Merlin left laying around after his death, at least in our campaign). I'd like to stat this as a Demonic Co-Pilot, but I'm not sure what sorts of Demon's Agendas I can Compel him on with such an ultimately benevolent (as far as we know) being.

I thought of Fate itself, as Merlin intentionally submitted himself to entrapment and death at the hands of Nimue in The Once and Future King, but that doesn't quite seem like enough. A few more minor agendas to add onto that, or one big one would really help.

All we know of him (in canon) so far is that he was the keeper of Excaliber/Amoracchius and he created a prison for demons. That's more or less in line with the types of thing the party goes for, anyway, so it doesn't seem like it makes for strong Compels.

So, ideas?
"I am responsible for more than my own fun."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Merlin's agenda as a Demonic-Co-Pilot?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 05:18:56 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using Demonic Co-Pilot as written. It's not a great Power.

Anyway, I don't know much about Merlin. But being forced to do the right thing can be plenty problematic and Compel-worthy, especially if Merlin expects the PC to be willing to risk or sacrifice his life.

Might also be able to make Merlin slightly sinister through his association with Arthur. Non-constitutional monarchy is basically just a fancier and more classist variation of military dictatorship, and that's the kind of government Merlin helped set up.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »
Keep in mind that was likely the best option at that time, though. Then there's Plato's idea of the philosopher-king.

And given some of the feats attributed to him in the novels, I'd say you can get a pretty good idea. Preserving knowledge, advancing knowledge, protecting humanity. That pretty much sums it up and should offer sufficient fodder for an agenda.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »
Or less innocently; destroying demons, eradicating evil, imprisoning immortals. Merlin was a badass.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »
Which would come in under 'Protecting humanity". Merlin was a big fan of preemptive defense, apparently.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
I wonder if you could maybe throw in some stuff about his disdain for monotheistic religions?  Perhaps he really resents that the druids were wiped out. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
Who says he was upset about it? The druids were fond of human sacrifice apparently, which breaks Merlin's own First Law...

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 11:24:27 PM »
Who says he was upset about it? The druids were fond of human sacrifice apparently, which breaks Merlin's own First Law...

That is according to the Romans.  And he would only be upset if they did it as part of magic.  I don't see the Wardens storming Texas to stop them from their next execution so I doubt that would be an issue for Merlin back then.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/