Author Topic: How to write up an apprentice/someone who doesn't know they have magic  (Read 1425 times)

Offline CrimsonJoker

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I have a planed plot line for my Players to get into at a later date that requires asking the above question.

Here's the context; since the Wizard character is a WIZARD DICK (which is his High Concept) I set him up with an SI detective named Cassandra Black. She is well known for being a badass (getting the nickname the Black Dog) and I originally planned for her to be the Murphy stand-in until I came up with an idea for her role in later adventures where local crime becomes less important.

Originally I was gonna hand her one of the Swords Of The Crown (a set of holy Swords containing one of the thorns from the Crown Of Thorns) but then I thought about having her be unknowingly magical (Wizard template when the time comes) and until she just starts uncontrollably shooting lightning like Elle Bishop and have her third eye simply snap open. The consequences of either could set up future things fro the character,

The problem I ran into is that I don't know how I'd write that up as an NPC. OW stats up Molly but she seems a bit advanced because at least Molly knows how to do magic. I think I gave her Constitution, Channeling Lightning (which would turn into Air) and noted that it would become Evocation, and gave her The Sight. Would that work? Advice from anyone who's dealt with apprentices in there games would be much appreciated.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
I wouldn't give her any Powers if she didn't have control over any of her abilities. Instead, I'd give her an Aspect and Compel it to make magic happen.

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I wouldn't give her any Powers if she didn't have control over any of her abilities. Instead, I'd give her an Aspect and Compel it to make magic happen.
ONce again, Sancta makes the point best.
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile

That works, though you could probably get away with giving her the Sight as well. That's one of the signs the White Council uses to determine whether a person has Wizard level talent or not and it's noted that any self-taught sorcerer would be flying blind without it.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Maybe give her the mana static power (or whatever it was called that makes you randomly hex things).
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast