Author Topic: WTF. thoughts on prowritingaid.com and hemingway and use of program editors?  (Read 6815 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Thank you for all the advice. You guys are awesome.

And that program? Add on that's it's addictive, like I see people hooked on that farm game or candy crush.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
  • It’s about communication - ET phone home.
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
Thank you for all the advice. You guys are awesome.

And that program? Add on that's it's addictive, like I see people hooked on that farm game or candy crush.
New toys always are. Often the problem with authors doing their own editing is they know the story and what should be there, so their mind will automatically fill it in. They end up missing a lot. I usually try and walk away from my own stories for a least week or two before I even attempt to edit them.

Best planet I've been on so far.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
I think you guys are far better at this than me. I rest it while adjusting my mind from creative to technique. I'm doing grammar and basics, avoiding plot etc. Sentence by sentence cranking, often back to front. After all that, I head into reading it out loud in order.

You guys already have the basic grammar etc nailed.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
I think you guys are far better at this than me. I rest it while adjusting my mind from creative to technique. I'm doing grammar and basics, avoiding plot etc. Sentence by sentence cranking, often back to front. After all that, I head into reading it out loud in order.

If you mean the process of fixing it up using outside help.  Then yep.

If on the other hand you mean I'm better at basic grammar (snort with stuff coming out my nose) in the early days I was asked if english was my second language (it being my only language)  hahahahahaha!

I just know my weaknesses and while working on them every day I write, I also go and get help!

And yeah editing and creative use different parts of the brain.  My advice, go to editing anonymous and get help!  ahahahahah just a joke  ::)

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
  • It’s about communication - ET phone home.
    • View Profile
    • our forum on

When you're writing, the focus is on the story and the scene you're on, grammar is the least thing on your mind. You should see some of the first pass work I've seen. Any author doing grammar checks on their own work, is going to have a hard time. The author knows what should be there so they can miss mistakes. A fresh mind seeing it for the first time, sees what's there.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 05:02:27 AM by superpsycho »
Best planet I've been on so far.