Author Topic: Touchy Topics Forum  (Read 3103 times)

Offline NutJobismyJob

• Conversationalist
  • So crazy I just might work
    • View Profile
Touchy Topics Forum
« on: June 02, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »
I'm aware of the touchy topics rule that forbids discussion of certain topics considered likely to provoke... less than civil dialogue.  A recent comment by another forum poster suggested that there used to be a designated section of the forums for such topics, but that it was then removed.  I didn't want to derail that thread with a discussion of forum history, so I'm posting here to ask, did I interpret correctly?  Was there once a touchy topics forum that was later disabled?  If so, why did the powers that be do away with it? 

I'm asking about this because a recent thread in the DF spoilers forum that bordered on or arguably was based on touchy topics was recently allowed to continue for an extended period of time and, IMHO, produced some interesting and valuable discussion.  Given this demonstrated potential, I'd like to humbly suggest that those running the forums consider reinstating the touchy topics board or removing or relaxing the touchy topics restriction.  Obviously such a step should not be taken lightly, and it would require significant scrutiny by the moderators, so I understand if people are reluctant or this is deemed unfeasible.  I just think that it's possible and valuable to discuss the books in relation to important, albeit contentious, issues. 
DV V1.2 BK++  RP  JB  TH+  WG++  BC+  MC----  SH [Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Touchy Topics Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »
The problem is that the Touchy Topics forum required an INSANELY disproportionate amount of moderation, and it brought out a lot of ugliness.  It was exhausting.

Offline NutJobismyJob

• Conversationalist
  • So crazy I just might work
    • View Profile
Re: Touchy Topics Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
Fair enough. Just thought I'd bring it up, because there's valuable discussions to be had there, but if it's such a drain on resources that it's detrimental to the rest of the forum then it's probably not worth it.  Thanks for the response.
DV V1.2 BK++  RP  JB  TH+  WG++  BC+  MC----  SH [Murphy++, Molly+]