Author Topic: Moderator approval for new threads?  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Moderator approval for new threads?
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:19:58 PM »
Is there a rule about creating new threads such that certain threads need to be approved by a moderator before they can be posted? I got a message like that about a recent thread, but then no message at all about the next thread, so I am unclear if there was something in my post that was problematic causing it to be flagged. It was approved, so I am guessing it was alright, but if there is a rule I am not clear about, I rather know about it and follow it!!

Any help would be cool!! Thx

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Moderator approval for new threads?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:34:42 AM »
It's just a quirk of a plugin that helps prevent spam. New threads containing links are sometimes flagged, but a mod will usually be by to approve them within the hour.

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:49:44 AM »
It's just a quirk of a plugin that helps prevent spam. New threads containing links are sometimes flagged, but a mod will usually be by to approve them within the hour.

Yep, that would do it -- I had about 4 or 5 links in the post. Thanks for the info! Oh, and someone approved it within just a few minutes, so you all are really on top of things!

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 04:56:37 PM »
Yep, that would do it -- I had about 4 or 5 links in the post. Thanks for the info! Oh, and someone approved it within just a few minutes, so you all are really on top of things!

When one of these topics is "flagged", (for the mod crew) the the forum index has that sub forum highlighted in red, and then within that sub forum, the topic is highlighted in red.  Thus these are hard for mods not to notice and address right away. 

This isn't one of the things I am explicitly entitled to address as a "curator" but since it is usually incredibly simple to determine if these topics are lagit, I usually have no reservations "approving" them.

P.S.  I used to run into this issue a LOT before I became a curator. 
Here is a topic where I wrote up how to circumvent it if you happen to be posting at a time when mod activity is low and you want your topic to be viewable omgnow.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,32284.msg1419162.html#msg1419162

There are several follow up posts that try to get more specific on how this works
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:34:04 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*