Author Topic: Solo character creation  (Read 1616 times)

Offline DanteC

• Participant
    • View Profile
Solo character creation
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:02:42 PM »
Possibly a very silly question, but I find the best way to learn something is by doing, so wanted to learn the system by first building a character.  Do you have to have a group to build a city, character etc, or can you do it solo?  Is there any special rules to it? 

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Solo character creation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
Normally the city (and to a lesser extent the character) is a collaborative effort between the players and the gm. If there is no group then there is no one to complain if you do it yourself. I would suggest you check out some of the city creation topics in the Play by Post thread.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 04:59:57 PM »
Building characters solo is easy and I highly recommend it. You just come up with all your own Aspects.

It's a big part of how I learned the system, in fact.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 05:23:34 PM »
What they said.

If you like, you can also create multiple characters and link them in their guest stories, much like you would if you had multiple players.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver Files Campaign
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 07:19:46 AM »
We have played a solo game, and the generation process was very simple. I had created 2 major NPCs, and one PC was a guest star in their stories. That's all. Like a normal generation.

Offline DanteC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »
Well, after my exams, I'll try to stat up a pure-mortal hacker (I'm thinking a cross between Lost Girl's Kenzi and Lisbeth Salander from Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), and a Saytr private detective.  I'm assuming that pure mortal would be easier to stat up.  The saytr (I do like Changeling The Dreaming), not so sure.  From what I could tell with the powers, it's mostly illusion powers they have? 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 10:45:15 PM »
Possibly a very silly question, but I find the best way to learn something is by doing, so wanted to learn the system by first building a character.  Do you have to have a group to build a city, character etc, or can you do it solo?  Is there any special rules to it?
There are rules -- as per the book -- but it can be certainly be done solo!  I suppose one could argue that doing it "solo" is doing it "wrong" (the rules specify a collaborative process)... but as a way to learn/explore the system, it seems very good to me!

Also, as others have suggested, one could "simulate" the multi-player method:  do the initial steps for a city, and each of several characters, then STOP each one, and do the phases stepwise for the entire group, not going to the next step for ANY character until the current step is done for ALL characters.

The only downside, I would think, would the loss of the multi-person collaborative/brainstorming nature of city-and-character-design.  It's pretty clear to me that several creative people brainstorming can quickly produce something more interesting than any one of them alone...

But for learning the mechanics?  I think going solo is actually superior.

- Steve, the g33k